Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Gary Payton holds Michael Jordan to 5/19 shooting (1996 Finals, Game 6)

8 points.

Default Re: Gary Payton holds Michael Jordan to 5/19 shooting (1996 Finals, Game 6)

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo
    Jordan averaged 27.3 points. 5.3 rebounds and 4.2 assists. He also shot 42 percent from the field, 32 percent from three, 84 percent from the line. He averaged three turnovers per game, and in the deciding Game 6 against the Sonics, he had as many turnovers (five) as made baskets (five, on 19 shots).

In fact, in the last three games of those '96 Finals, Jordan shot 37 percent, with 11 turnovers. Nonetheless, Jordan was once again named Finals MVP.
    yes. Jordan's legacy is forever tainted by having an undeserved finals mvp award by having his teammates bail him out.... lebron, on the other hand, would have never needed his teammates to bail him out.

National High School Star

Amazing to look at how crowded the paint was before the rule changes. I'm not sure if Russell Westbrook would crack an NBA rotation playing with those rules. Just a completely different game. This was Jordan's worst finals, the first one back after retirement. People criticizing his performance in this finals should probably just keep on walking considering Jordan won again the next year...and then the year again...

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo
    Jordan averaged 27.3 points. 5.3 rebounds and 4.2 assists. He also shot 42 percent from the field, 32 percent from three, 84 percent from the line. He averaged three turnovers per game, and in the deciding Game 6 against the Sonics, he had as many turnovers (five) as made baskets (five, on 19 shots).

In fact, in the last three games of those '96 Finals, Jordan shot 37 percent, with 11 turnovers. Nonetheless, Jordan was once again named Finals MVP.
    was also held to .367% shooting the last 3 games of that series, or once payton was assigned to him

Gary 'the jordan stopper' Payton

One game.

Who got the hardware, again?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    imagined it? it actually happened! eastern finals, vinnie "6'2" microwave" johnson had 22 points to jordans 18 hahahaha

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...905310DET.html
    I should've clarified that I didn't mean a single game, I meant the entire series (figured it was implied)... Jordan averaged 30, microwave put up 13.

I meant more along the lines of the '11 finals wherein the Michael Jordan of this era was outscored by Jason Terry for the series 18 PPG to 17.8 PPG.

Sorry for the confusion

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    This, which is why Bron is the consensus GOA-

Oh...

College superstar

I should've clarified that I didn't mean a single game, I meant the entire series (figured it was implied)... Jordan averaged 30, microwave put up 13.

I meant more along the lines of the '11 finals wherein the Michael Jordan of this era was outscored by Jason Terry for the series 18 PPG to 17.8 PPG.

Sorry for the confusion
    no clarifications needed. you asked, and, well, you were proven wrong.

enough about vinnie outscoring jordan (in the biggest game of his career up to that point)

this is a celebration of GP shutting down jordan DEFENSIVELY

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Sorry for the confusion

BronBoys are stupid...also he was outscored by his teammate by nearly 10 pts a game lol.

MJ vs '96 Sonics: 27/5/4 on 116 ORTG

Kobe's career average: 26/5/5 on 111 ORTG

Wade's career average: 24/6/5 on 111 ORTG

So in one of MJ's worst series he still put up numbers comparable to/better than Wade and Kobe's career averages. Cool.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by AirFederer
    One game.

Who got the hardware, again?
    3 games
    was also held to .367% shooting the last 3 games of that series
    payton = goat midget of the 90s

Local High School Star

Lebron stans desperate right now

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    MJ vs '96 Sonics: 27/5/4 on 116 ORTG

Kobe's career average: 26/5/5 on 111 ORTG

Wade's career average: 24/6/5 on 111 ORTG

So in one of MJ's worst series he still put up numbers comparable to/better than Wade and Kobe's career averages. Cool.
    what?
    such a terrible comparison. Who the hell compares 6 games to career?

NBA rookie of the year

Jordan's torched Payton many times when they played head to head so there's nothing all that special about Payton's D.

The Bulls simply got up 3-0 and for the first time that season took their foot off the gas pedal a bit. In a lot of ways the Magic series was really the Finals for the Bulls, once they had gotten over that hump the rest was pretty much just a formality.

Credit to the Sonics for playing for pride though and saving some face instead of just lying down and getting swept like Shaq/Penny did.

Not MJ's best finals by a long shot, but unlike the crybabies that make excuses for LeBron and Kobe's finals where they actually got embarrassed and their rear ends kicked in, Jordan still got the job done and had his best game of that series in game 3, which was the dagger that basically sealed the Finals.

LeBron stans so fuggin' salty their boy couldn't get the job done (again), lol. Threepeating is hard work, kiddies.
    Last edited by Soundwave; 06-17-2014 at 04:34 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    no clarifications needed. you asked, and, well, you were proven wrong.
    Yeah... not exactly. Clearly I was talking about whole series as I said.

If we were just talking about single game midget exploits, we'd have to look no farther than game 4 of the '11 NBA finals wherein the Michael Jordan of this era had 8 points (while being guarded by 6'4 Kidd, 6'2 Terry, and the allegedly 6'0 Barea). That point total matched the midget Barea who accomplished it on 2 less FGA, and was surpassed by Terry's 17 off the bench. The 6'5 DeShawn Stevenson had 16 off the bench as well, doubling up LeHeir but I don't know if that's too tall to ride.

This was in a finals game that MIA lost by only 3 points mind you, where Wade had 32 points on 65% shooting. But those midgets are lethal.