Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Local High School Star west_tip's Avatar

Default Re: Can't wait to see Philly in 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHAKIDD532
    The Sixers are apparently about taking under valued asset. Embiid should've been #1, they get him at #3 because of an injury. Same exact thing with Noel last year, except they got him at #6. They're just accumulating assets. That's going to be their long term plan and they want to operate that way now.
    Weren't they trying to trade up to get Wiggins?

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
    Teams choose a window and draft and develop players to peak at that window.

THIS is how you rebuild. Its perfect. Does that mean they will be good this year? Hell no. Definitively the worst team in the league. Then they will add Okafor/Mudiay/etc.

They traded Jrue for Noel, Saric, a 1st and a 2nd. Does that make them better today? Of course not. Is there a GM in the league that wouldn't have killed to make a trade like that? NO.

so you know, college recruiting tactics doesn't really work in the professional.

just because some player decides to declare pro, it is not similar to trading them for future picks

why you ask?

BECAUSE YOU SENT THE BEST PLAYER TODAY TO YOUR COMPETITON ACCORDING TO YOUR OWN LOGIC

you're welcome for the all caps.

very welcome.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by GimmeThat
    so you know, college recruiting tactics doesn't really work in the professional.

just because some player decides to declare pro, it is not similar to trading them for future picks

why you ask?

BECAUSE YOU SENT THE BEST PLAYER TODAY TO YOUR COMPETITON ACCORDING TO YOUR OWN LOGIC

you're welcome for the all caps.

very welcome.
    WAT?

Chad Ford leaked Philly's pick at #10 as Saric. Everyone spends a half hour laughing at Ford. Then trade is announced and Hinkie was able to leverage Orl into giving them a 1 and a 2 and they get their guy anyways.

When you are dealing with EV (expected value) 5 years down the road their is rightfully disagreement on what that investment is going to be worth. But Hinkie is able to pick up little pieces all over the place. They drafted 3 foreign players in the draft last night. So not only do they have youth developing on their roster but they literally have it developing for them all over the world.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by west_tip
    That, right there is the whole point. No-one has the first idea how any of these kids will pan out, one injury affected season of college ball is a pretty small sample size to make a determination that these players will turn a mediocre/losing team into a juggernaut especially when you consider the effect of tanking on the psyche. Presumably posters on here are smart enough to understand that building a winner entails more than just stockpiling lottery picks??????
    Basketball is unique. You can go to an AAU tournament and within an hour know who the best players are there.

One way to get better is to sign massive FAs. That just doesn't work for most teams. And even the ones it does work for are largely chosen because they were able to bring people in because of the talent they already had on their team. A great way to get better is to bottom out and accumulate a ton of talent. And Hinkie has been doing that IN SPADES. In 2-3 years he will know which of these guys he wants to keep in the program and add significant FA talent to fill any holes they have. For now, develop develop develop.

Weren't they trying to trade up to get Wiggins?
    Read last night that was bull. Probably Cleveland put it out to drive up the price.

NBA All-star

WAT?

Chad Ford leaked Philly's pick at #10 as Saric. Everyone spends a half hour laughing at Ford. Then trade is announced and Hinkie was able to leverage Orl into giving them a 1 and a 2 and they get their guy anyways.

When you are dealing with EV (expected value) 5 years down the road their is rightfully disagreement on what that investment is going to be worth. But Hinkie is able to pick up little pieces all over the place. They drafted 3 foreign players in the draft last night. So not only do they have youth developing on their roster but they literally have it developing for them all over the world.

if a player wants to learn or a coach wants to teach how to shoot, how to collect a rebound, how to pass a basketball. what does that have anything to do with coming in at the expense of a loss?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GimmeThat
    if a player wants to learn or a coach wants to teach how to shoot, how to collect a rebound, how to pass a basketball. what does that have anything to do with coming in at the expense of a loss?
    Why rush the process?

It comes at the expense of winning/losing because those players couldn't be on the floor of a winning team.

Would you really rather be the Pelicans right now than the Sixers (ignoring the Davis thing as obviously he's a complete stud)... a team in the Pelicans that went all in for like the next 3 years and last year with Holiday, Gordon, Evans, Anderson...and now Asik?????

A team that has a ceiling of a round 1 exit in the playoffs this coming season? A team that by the time the conference gets easier and they are ready to contend...all the players on the roster outside of Davis and probably Asik will likely be gone?

What is the point of that? The Pelicans lost the 6th pick and the 10th pick in back to back drafts for ****ing Jrue Holiday and might not winning a playoff series his entire contract length. You really think that is worth it?

You'd really rather have that than a team that grows together and moves forward with a core that will be there for 12 plus years?

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Why rush the process?

It comes at the expense of winning/losing because those players couldn't be on the floor of a winning team.

Would you really rather be the Pelicans right now than the Sixers (ignoring the Davis thing as obviously he's a complete stud)... a team in the Pelicans that went all in for like the next 3 years and last year with Holiday, Gordon, Evans, Anderson...and now Asik?????

A team that has a ceiling of a round 1 exit in the playoffs this coming season? A team that by the time the conference gets easier and they are ready to contend...all the players on the roster outside of Davis and probably Asik will likely be gone?

What is the point of that? The Pelicans lost the 6th pick and the 10th pick in back to back drafts for ****ing Jrue Holiday and might not winning a playoff series his entire contract length. You really think that is worth it?

You'd really rather have that than a team that grows together and moves forward with a core that will be there for 12 plus years?
    At least someone here gets it.

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Why rush the process?

You have cancer, or some sort of severe illness

whether it is treatable or not, I do not know

DMAVS41 poster name has been noted.

College superstar VengefulAngel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    At least someone here gets it.

Did you read the first post?

Local High School Star west_tip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZHAKIDD532
    Read last night that was bull. Probably Cleveland put it out to drive up the price.
    Ah, ok.

Basketball is unique. You can go to an AAU tournament and within an hour know who the best players are there.

One way to get better is to sign massive FAs. That just doesn't work for most teams. And even the ones it does work for are largely chosen because they were able to bring people in because of the talent they already had on their team. A great way to get better is to bottom out and accumulate a ton of talent. And Hinkie has been doing that IN SPADES. In 2-3 years he will know which of these guys he wants to keep in the program and add significant FA talent to fill any holes they have. For now, develop develop develop.
    Hurricane Kid, all I can say is I hope the Sixers high risk, high reward long term strategy bears fruit, I really do. At the very least they appear to have a coherent and clear plan for turning the franchise around.

I just wish that entire seasons of futility did not have to be endured in the interim.

College superstar

Ah, ok.

Hurricane Kid, all I can say is I hope the Sixers high risk, high reward long term strategy bears fruit, I really do. At the very least they appear to have a coherent and clear plan for turning the franchise around.

I just wish that entire seasons of futility did not have to be endured in the interim.
    I have no dog in the fight. I am a Bucks fan. It makes no difference to me if Philly is good. Probably better for me if they aren't. But watching your team fight and claw for years hoping to catch the 8 seed and get humiliated in the first round is far worse. You get to experience the joy of building from the bottom up. I think my team has finally gotten new ownership that gets it. But we are still miles from implementing it as efficiently as Hinkie has.

Yeah, watching your team is going to be rough this year. Probably a year or two past that as well. But getting attached to the young guys and watch them grow together will be a rewarding venture.

Very good NBA starter

If you want to see where the Sixers will be in 5 years all you have to do is rewatch last night's draft

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Ah, ok.

But that's how you really rebuild. It sucks and you have to stomach it but what's the alternative? The Sixers being the 8 seed w Iggy? Or Signing some free agent this year and just missing the playoffs or being the 8th seed with some shitty second tier free agent? I'm 42 and I can say that I'm sick of that. That's worse suffering than having to last a few years for a full on long term rebuild. There's nothing worse than being stuck in perpetual mediocrity. They have a plan and they are sticking to it. This will set up the team to be competitive for 5-10 years. I'm happy with that and understand it completely.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

I have no dog in the fight. I am a Bucks fan. It makes no difference to me if Philly is good. Probably better for me if they aren't. But watching your team fight and claw for years hoping to catch the 8 seed and get humiliated in the first round is far worse. You get to experience the joy of building from the bottom up. I think my team has finally gotten new ownership that gets it. But we are still miles from implementing it as efficiently as Hinkie has.

Yeah, watching your team is going to be rough this year. Probably a year or two past that as well. But getting attached to the young guys and watch them grow together will be a rewarding venture.
    Are the Bucks trying to move Sanders?