Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Default Re: Who's the 2nd greatest scorer of alltime?

Quote Originally Posted by ABfor3
    I'm sorry but Wilts numbers just don't amaze me when he's basically played his whole career against a bunch of Tyler Hansboroughs, undersized white big men. He played against Russell who was an elite defender but really had no offensive game. To me the greatest scorer is KAJ, he was unstoppable in a respectable era. Michael Jordan is still the GOAT but what made him Goat to me is how great he was at BOTH ends of the floor
    Hmmm...

A peak/prime KAJ faced several of the same centers that a peak/prime Chamberlain did...

and was NOWHERE near as dominant against them.

Chamberlain had entire SEASONS, covering 10 H2H games, against the 6-11 HOFer Walt Bellamy (who would measure seven-feet in today's NBA) in which he averaged more ppg than KAJ's single HIGH game against Bellamy was.

A prime scoring Chamberlain scored more, and shot a FAR higher FG% against 6-11 HOFer Nate Thurmond (who, again, would be listed at over 7-0 in today's NBA), than a peak KAJ ever did. Not even close.

Same with Willis Reed. Or Connie Dierking. Or Jim Fox. Or Darrall Imhoff.

A prime scoring Chamberlain was easily the most dominant center of all-time, and as I have already noted, the game's greatest pure scorer.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    With only 3x 50 point games in 7 seasons? That talk is way too premature. Stop it.
    So 50+ point games is the best way to measure a great scorer? Durant is one of the most consistent high volume on great efficiency scorers ever among perimeter players. He's now almost through a five season stretch of averaging 29 PPG on 49/38/89 and 62% TS.

Part of the reason he hasn't had more 40+ and 50+ point games is because he's played the majority of his career with another 20+ PPG, high volume scorer in Westbrook and has almost always had another teammate average around 15 PPG. As an OKC fan, I'm more than ok with hat because it means we've almost always had a contender during Durant's career. However, after what we've seen from Durant this year without Westbrook, it stands to reason he'd have quite a few more games of 40+ and 50+ points if he had to go through what LeBron and Jordan went through the first 7 years or so of their career where they had to carry a huge scoring load.

Besides, Durant is one of the most consistent scorers ever. I don't know, exactly, how you'd do this and I'm sure it'd take a lot of time, but he VERY rarely has "off" games where he scores around 15 points. He almost always scores 25-35 points.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    So 50+ point games is the best way to measure a great scorer? Durant is one of the most consistent high volume on great efficiency scorers ever among perimeter players.
    Agreed, and yes the number of 50 point games to me would be a barometer of how great a volume scorer is ... regardless of all that your statement is stupid, and way too premature. KD already the 2nd greatest scorer of all-time? Dude just had his whopping 3rd 50 point game. And we all know the context of the soft ass calls he's received in recent years for league superstar promotion to pad the hell out of those PPG numbers. I mean ... if you actually watch him play. He's not even top five most dominant scorers based off eye test that I've seen yet. Yet you claim he's 2nd best scorer ever.

KAJ or Kobe but KD comin yo

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Agreed, and yes the number of 50 point games to me would be a barometer of how great a volume scorer is ... regardless of all that your statement is stupid, and way too premature. KD already the 2nd greatest scorer of all-time? Dude just had his whopping 3rd 50 point game. And we all know the context of the soft ass calls he's received in recent years for league superstar promotion to pad the hell out of those PPG numbers. I mean ... if you actually watch him play. He's not even top five most dominant scorers based off eye test that I've seen yet. Yet you claim he's 2nd best scorer ever.
    Durant's shot over 30 times in a game 8 times in his career and has 3 50 point games. 1 for every 2.7 games of 30+ shots

Kobe's shot over 30 times in a game 105 times in his career and has 24 50 point games. 1 for every 4.4 games of 30+ shots.