Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default Assassin's Creed 4 new gameplay

Did anyone see this? This game doesn't even look like a typical AC title, but an open world adventure game. It really looks like the perfect pirate game. I have been waiting for one since Sid Meier's Pirates.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/07/23...rizon-gameplay

You can customize your ship in any way, recruit crew, explore the seas and plunder other ships. It's really nothing like other AC games, no more boring roof hopping in the same old cities with the same old repetitive button mashing combat with templars. Finally they changed up the formula and gave us something new.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Default Re: Assassin's Creed 4 new gameplay

I just watched this video this morning.

I'm not sure it'll be completely different. The button mashing combos look pretty similar once you board a ship. And the islands look like miniature versions of platforming levels. But getting around via ship certainly blows out the little side elements from two.

But then again I really loved three. I appear to be in the minority that I liked it better than two. And I think this looks pretty awesome, changes being the better part of it or otherwise.

I do worry a little bit that it was rushed to market. Three came out all of a year ago. And these guys have been putting together WatchDogs pretty much at the same time? I know they're a bigger company, but that sure seems like a lot. I wonder if Black Flag is the remnants of something they started with on 3, and that's how they got it out so fast. And WatchDogs it's certainly possible they've been working on for a few years already even though it never hit the public because it was being designed for the PS4. But it still seems like it'll be a huge few months for that company.

I have AC3 and I really didnt jump into it. So I'm less likely to get AC4 at launch. Will wait. I dont like how the AC series has turned into a yearly thing. Seems to be throwing these games out too quick.

I'm fine with the way they release a game per year. They usually make additions/changes that make the next game significantly different. I haven't felt like any of the games were rushed (except for Revelations maybe). The only thing that may have felt rushed about AC3 was the ending but that was due more to bad story telling than to a rushed timeline imo.

This game looks pretty awesome with the total immersion it offers. Transitioning to different game styles seamlessly is impressive. I will miss the architecture of the old AC2 and Brotherhood games but I'm fine with the evolution of the game toward a more sprawling adventure style game. They keep getting me to buy their games because it feels like a genuinely new product each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I just watched this video this morning.

I'm not sure it'll be completely different. The button mashing combos look pretty similar once you board a ship. And the islands look like miniature versions of platforming levels. But getting around via ship certainly blows out the little side elements from two.

But then again I really loved three. I appear to be in the minority that I liked it better than two. And I think this looks pretty awesome, changes being the better part of it or otherwise.

I do worry a little bit that it was rushed to market. Three came out all of a year ago. And these guys have been putting together WatchDogs pretty much at the same time? I know they're a bigger company, but that sure seems like a lot. I wonder if Black Flag is the remnants of something they started with on 3, and that's how they got it out so fast. And WatchDogs it's certainly possible they've been working on for a few years already even though it never hit the public because it was being designed for the PS4. But it still seems like it'll be a huge few months for that company.
    Agreed with your post as usual, just quoted to give information.

Ubisoft has three-four different studios working on AC games. I know Annecy handles the multiplayer and only the multiplayer. One studio handles the bulk of the iteration at a time. They decided to do it this way after brotherhood so that way they could give each game at least 2 years to develop. (it expanded to 3 studios with ac 3 so one studio can now in theory go 3 years between it's installment)

Typically one studio puts in a bit of effort on a new idea and then the next studio up develops it into a big part of the game. Hence the training of assassins, the pirate ships this time. And the lame platforming brick parts of revelations were the basics of how the forest would be formed and the controls for it.

i am currently playing AC3. Played all the others as they came out but after Revelations I just thought it was more or less the same game being released time after time. AC3 is good but again, the differences between it and Revelations are negligible. The hunting and homestead missions are a nice touch but it gets extremely repetitive. At least this is different. Environments look great. Concept is good. But will it take 2 or 3 games for them to execute it properly? Because it looks like they are okay with releasing a game every year in order to accomplish that.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I'm pretty sure I've said this before, I know I have in conversation with people, but I'm fine with how this series is released. But I hate the overarching storyline with Desmond, which seems to be mercifully over. I would be absolutely fine with these guys just dumping a new story into a new interesting historical period every couple years or so.

Again, I seem to be in the minority. I know people find a lot of things repetitive in these games, and I did in the first one as well, but they've gotten a lot more variety for me anyway. I love the exploration part of games, and this series gives you as much as anybody with the possible exception of Batman. And I still to this day absolutely love the free running method of getting around the world. I still think they do that better than anyone. Although I do look forward to this next Infamous to be released.

The combat gets a little tedious to me at times, but otherwise I've loved these games, particularly the last one.

Figured I would bump this. Bought the game last night and only played an hour or so but here are my thoughts so far:

Ubisoft learned from the last game and start you out in the middle of the action immediately instead of a couple hours into the game. Naval combat has been tweaked a bit an improved. Better aiming and firing system plus a wider array of weapons make naval combat more fun. The world is really beautiful and Edward's story seems like it will be more enjoyable. I like Connor and the time period he was in but I think his story was just too dark and heavy for these games. The appeal of these games is the romantic thrill of fighting an Illuminati type organization and exploring the beauty of the landscapes. Connor's story was more about a lone warrior trying to fight against a genocide. Like I said...a little too dark and heavy. This game seems like it will appeal more to people as a romantic (as in Romanticism) adventure in the style of AC2. Huge world with really vibrant color and cool geography. I think it will be a more enjoyable experience as the opportunity to explore dense jungles will be more appealing than a snowy frontier. AC3 was actually my favorite game but I definitely think this one will be more widely appealing.

The Desmond arc has been shifted into a first person perspective as an Abstergo employee using the Animus. That part is still tied to Desmond but it isn't an overbearing story arc forced onto us this time around. I anticipate that the first person experience will lead to snooping around Abstergo and eventually turning on the company as you unveil secrets in the present and through Edward's Animus stuff but it does a better job of not detracting from the Animus sessions.

Also, they seem to have simplified the menu system and made it easy to navigate which is a big bonus.
    Last edited by Jailblazers7; 10-30-2013 at 10:33 AM.

This is out now? Wife is out of town so might get this.

Glad to hear a review.

If the rumored target deal for ps4/xbone games is legit. I'm definitely picking it up, killzone, and Knack.

If not hopefully I can still get AC4 and be entertained enough till I can get another game.

(have battlefield 4 preordered already)

It is only after an 1-1.5 hours of gameplay but I think I have a pretty good feel of where things are going with the story and what the map exploration will be like. I am really hoping that there are side missions that are specific to crew members. Example - One of your crew got arrested for fighting at a bar and you need to sneak into jail and break him out. Probably a pipe dream but it would be awesome. I think exploration will be more fun and the assassin contracts will be more enjoyable as you build Edward's rep as an assassin.

Well the director said Aveline is getting side missions, so I'd assume there's going to be a couple more in addition to those. Given that most people were pissed the ones in AC3 ultimately didn't matter, the easiest way to rectify that seems like it'd be missions for crewmembers.

Oh also, roof travel is way better in this game. It was almost discouraged in AC3 because the amount of soldiers on the roofs was obnoxious and colonial America didn't have the same type of city structure as 15th-16th century Italy or Istanbul. Havana has been really fun so far for me so far because the city travel is closer to the old games.

I'm going to have to buy this game. I thought I'd wait until I get a PS4, but I don't plan on getting one for a while, so I might as well play this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    Oh also, roof travel is way better in this game. It was almost discouraged in AC3 because the amount of soldiers on the roofs was obnoxious and colonial America didn't have the same type of city structure as 15th-16th century Italy or Istanbul. Havana has been really fun so far for me so far because the city travel is closer to the old games.
    This is so true.