Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: INT's Top 10 Shooting Guards In NBA History

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    You must be a booty hurt Pacer fan. Reggie was not considered an elite player during his prime for a reason. He wasn't. The highlight of his career were some All NBA 3rd Team selections, that were dubious at best. He never finished in the top 10 in MVP voting, and only has two top 20 finishes. Post-career Reggie has had his stock gassed, and he may reach the HOF because of that, when superior players at his position may never reach Springfield.
    Damn. I love Reggie but, the truth hurts...

NBA lottery pick

Even though AI has had good individual accomplishments, you can't deny how horrible of a team player and a career loser he is. He should NOT be #5.

Quote Originally Posted by Interminator
    Thats nice, but you should have added while playing with Elgin Baylor & Wilt Chamberlain in a Weak Era.

I'm sorry I had to do it but its the truth, I respect Jerry West's talent a lot but he played with 2 future HOFers his entire career and won only 1 NBA Championship during a time when the league was more fast paced and the talent level was not as high as it is now.

What Iverson accomplished as a 6'0 SG while playing almost every minute in a much stronger Era physically and talentwise, while never spending his career with the likes of Gail Goodrich,Wilt,and Elgin Baylor who were among the Elite at their time, for Iverson its simply amazing.

If Iverson wins a Title whether as a 6th Man or starter he automatically jumps to #3 in my opinion.
    And? You're acting like it was West's fault they couldn't get it done. It was because of West they got as far as they got. He was the best player on those Lakers teams numerous years. He had some of the greatest playoff performances in NBA history.

Either way, West is arguably better at scoring, is a better passer, and a much better defender. No matter who he played with, those hold true.

Also, why don't you discount Big O too then? West was considered his equal in their respective primes. I hope you knew that.

Local High School Star theballerFKA Ace's Avatar

AI over Jerry West?

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

Career wise West > Kobe.

Im not saying West was better than Kobe but like Ive said before I think Olajuwon was WAY better than Bill Russell but in an all time ranking I put Russell > Olajuwon...Same goes for West and Kobe for now in my opinion. Kobe is right on his heals though.

Quote Originally Posted by MK2V1GP
    Even though AI has had good individual accomplishments, you can't deny how horrible of a team player and a career loser he is. He should NOT be #5.
    Look I am tired of this, if you call a guy that went to Finals on a at best average team a career loser, why dont you say the same thing about the "Iceman" George Gervin. How is he a horrible team player? What do you have to do to be a great team player when your team isnt great. Fact is, where ever he went did not have the fantasy team that MJ,Kobe,West had. The best player he ever played with is Carmelo Anthony. Kobe has played with Shaq and now has Pau Gasol. West had Chamberlain and Baylor. MJ had Pippen, Rodman and Kukoc. AI had what, Snow and Mutombo. Please Explain.

AI is over West because he has more points, was a MVP, and West's team success doesn't blow anyone away, and because AI is still playing.

Wade is on pace to possibly reach Kobe as #2 All Time if he can win another title along with a MVP, he just has to stay healthy into his 30's.
    +1

VC is so much better than Ray Allen career wise/prime. No matter how you spin it, Vince is light years better than Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudjjay
    +1

VC is so much better than Ray Allen career wise/prime. No matter how you spin it, Vince is light years better than Ray.
    How?

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

Robertson imo is a SG, you can put him at either PG,SG,or SF to your hearts content.

You're an idiot, Dont spam my thread.
    I suppose you can choose to put any player in any position you want, since it's YOUR list.
    However, 99% of the bball world would disagree with you. BigO was regarded as a PG.
    99.9% of the world would disagree with putting West any lower than 3rd all-time.

Local High School Star

This dummy gave himself "INT". I was thinking it was some sort of lame website/article...but it's even worse
    ---
    So many things are wrong with this guy's logic.
    Don't spam in "my thread"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    Look I am tired of this, if you call a guy that went to Finals on a at best average team a career loser, why dont you say the same thing about the "Iceman" George Gervin. How is he a horrible team player? What do you have to do to be a great team player when your team isnt great. Fact is, where ever he went did not have the fantasy team that MJ,Kobe,West had. The best player he ever played with is Carmelo Anthony. Kobe has played with Shaq and now has Pau Gasol. West had Chamberlain and Baylor. MJ had Pippen, Rodman and Kukoc. AI had what, Snow and Mutombo. Please Explain.
    +1.

Please stop the argument, that same topic has been debated to death on this site.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
    I suppose you can choose to put any player in any position you want, since it's YOUR list.
    However, 99% of the bball world would disagree with you. BigO was regarded as a PG.
    99.9% of the world would disagree with putting West any lower than 3rd all-time.
    Oscar Palmer Robertson (born November 24, 1938 in Charlotte, Tennessee), nicknamed "The Big O" or O-Train, is a former American NBA player with the Cincinnati Royals and the Milwaukee Bucks.[1] The 6-foot-5, 220-pound [2] Robertson played the shooting guard/point guard position, and was a twelve-time All-Star, eleven-time member of the All-NBA Team, and one-time winner of the MVP award in fourteen professional seasons.
    -Wikipedia

Oscar by today's definition would be a Combo Guard, but during his time he was basically a Point Foward at 6'5.

There are people who considered Scottie Pippen a PG, but hes commonly placed at SF due to that being his natural position and his height.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by thejumpa
    How?
    If you did not witness Vince's prime you cant argue that comment.

The only reason Vince isn't Top 10 is because he lacks the accomplishments those in front of him have.

Hes never been to a NBA Finals
    Hes never finished higher than 10th in MVP voting
    Hes been All-NBA only twice in his career.

Outside of that, statistically he is Top 10 consensus.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GP_20
    And? You're acting like it was West's fault they couldn't get it done. It was because of West they got as far as they got. He was the best player on those Lakers teams numerous years. He had some of the greatest playoff performances in NBA history.

Either way, West is arguably better at scoring, is a better passer, and a much better defender. No matter who he played with, those hold true.

Also, why don't you discount Big O too then? West was considered his equal in their respective primes. I hope you knew that.
    Im starting to think you're 50+?

That would make it even more pathetic of you arguing this, Big O may have been considered West's equal but he didnt have a competitive team around him until some kid named Lew Alcindor played for them.

West played with a HOFer his entire career, thats Fact.

Yet West only won 1 NBA Championship in 1972, on the same team as 4 other HOFers.

-Wikipedia

Oscar by today's definition would be a Combo Guard, but during his time he was basically a Point Foward at 6'5.

There are people who considered Scottie Pippen a PG, but hes commonly placed at SF due to that being his natural position and his height.
    Wiki all you want, but you are defining position by style of play (ex: him scoring a lot of points), and not his role on the court. Just because he scored a lot and was his team's first option doesn't mean he wasn't their lead guard. He handled the ball, he ran the offense, he facilitated, and he scored. There wasn't as clear of a gap between the PG and SG positions like we see today. Today, you have to be 6'5''+ and have certain skills to be a SG, and for the point, it's typical to see 6'4'' and under with different specific skills. This hasn't always been the case. He did score, but he ran the offense and facilitated as well. That makes him the point/lead guard, whatever you want to call it. That's why most people, including those that played him, consider him a point guard.

That's the problem with classifying position by play style, rather than actual positions and roles. Does that mean that Dirk is a shooting guard? Hell no.
    Last edited by Showtime; 05-27-2009 at 02:50 PM.