Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Decent college freshman theaussieguy's Avatar

Default Re: Defense at the PG position?

i thought it was pretty much a widely accepted fact Rondo has the best overall defense as a PG with his 6'10 wingspan

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    You realize almost all of CP3's steals are man D right? Unlike Rondo who's elite off the ball CP3.is an elite on ball defender. If he was a couple inches taller he'd be a Gary Payton type with his tenacity and effort on D.
    u crack me up man

I don't watch many Wolves, or Grizz games so I can't comment on them. However I watched a lot of Celtics games, and Rondo is a great defender for a PG, and Chalmers is likely a top 10 defender at the PG. I do know one thing though Kyrie is a revolving door .

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by lilgodfather1
    I don't watch many Wolves, or Grizz games so I can't comment on them. However I watched a lot of Celtics games, and Rondo is a great defender for a PG, and Chalmers is likely a top 10 defender at the PG. I do know one thing though Kyrie is a revolving door .
    Kyrie is a rookie. Give him some time, he will be a good defender.

Also, I agree that Rondo is probably the best defender at PG. His wingspan, mobility, tenacity, and IQ all contribute a lot to his D.

Rose is one of the best, especially when it comes to man-to-man defense. He is excellent at stopping penetration and contesting shots. There is a reason why he dominates other elite PGs, he has the explosive offense to tire them out, but he also bodies them up and doesn't let them score a lot. I can't remember the last time a PG went off on the Bulls, while their team D is a factor, Rose is also a big reason for it. He is one of the strongest PGs, built like a pitbull, no one pushes him around and no one overpowers him. There is a reason why Spo put Lebron on him.

If I had to rank the Top 5, it would be...

1) Bradley
    2) Rose/Westbrook
    3) Westbrook/Rose
    4) Shumpert
    5) CP3

Lol Rondo is a pretty overrated defender, just like CP3 he gambles a lot and gets blown by at times, and they are also too aggressive at times and pick up unnecessary fouls. Rose exposes both of them every time they play, but Westbrook and Shumpert actually give him a challenge. Can't wait to see Bradley vs Rose when he is back, best defensive PG vs best offensive PG.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Westbrook is in the Conley, Rubio tier IMO. So top 5 to 7 ish.
    seriously?

westbrook makes tons of errors

he can lock a guy up, but he loses concentration all the time, mixes up switches, etc.

conley and rubio are far more steady, smarter defenders

Man I miss GP.

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    seriously?

westbrook makes tons of errors

he can lock a guy up, but he loses concentration all the time, mixes up switches, etc.

conley and rubio are far more steady, smarter defenders
    That can be said about most of them, but when Westbrook is focused, like he was in the Olympics, he can terrorize any PG. When he doesn't have to score or run the team, he can be truly great.

Conley and Rubio may be smart, but their physical limitations are still there, Rose/Westbrook will still dominate them no matter how "smart" they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    That can be said about most of them, but when Westbrook is focused, like he was in the Olympics, he can terrorize any PG. When he doesn't have to score or run the team, he can be truly great.
    so we are judging guys based on what they could do if they gave 100% rather than what they actually do. maybe russ would be a beast defensively if he focused on it, but he doesnt, and he isnt. we can only judge them on what they actually do out on the court.

Conley and Rubio may be smart, but their physical limitations are still there, Rose/Westbrook will still dominate them no matter how "smart" they are.
    just the same as how a smart passing team, like the spurs, can take advantage of westbrook's weakness (lack of focus and IQ)

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Suckafree
    How does John Wall go on D?
    He looks like he should be elite on that end of the floor
    When he wants to be he will be the best, excluding a fully healthy Shumpert. He has the potential for sure. But he also has the potential to be the best offensively and he's clearly not there either.

For me its, Shumpert, Bradley, Rose, Westbrook and CP3

Billups is by far the most proven. And Deron Williams gets honorable mention.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

People mentioning Billups are on crazy. He's got no lateral quickness anymore. Good at defending the post but in today's league give me somebody who can stay infront of his man rather than guard a PG trying to post up.

He's better of guarding the two than he is the one. Age has just ruined that part of his game, hasn't been that top tier defensive PG in awhile.

Captain Kirk deserves a mention. I don't think he's quite as good as he once was defensively but for a PG he has to still be up there. Rondo is probably the best, even if he kinda regressed this year abit defensively IMO.

I like Westbrook's D he's so fast.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

jeremy lin

love the responses so far

more all-time picks would be great