Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Decent playground baller

Default What I Do Not Understand About Jordan's 1st Retirement...

This is not a thread to bait 3Ball (even though I hate his guts) or to troll.

This is a serious discussion. This thought came into my head while walking home yesterday. We all know Jordan is the most competitive player to ever play in the NBA but this guy retired in 1993 when he was proclaimed the GOAT. I even remember reading magazines and articles saying he was the GOAT in 1993. So, basically, Jordan said in his own words when he won in 1991 that he would have retired. My main gripe is when he first retired in 1993. This guys loves to win. He loves challenges. He loves being competitive. He said he was burned out and he accomplished what he could. I would say "okay" but wouldn't he have had more of a challenge to do something that hasn't been done since the 1960's? By winning 4 titles or even 5 titles in a row? Who was really going to beat the Bulls in 94-95?

I always said to my friends that Jordan could have won in 1995 because the Rockets weren't that good. 1994 is a toss up. I just don't get it. I understand his father died in 1993 but wouldn't that pushed him to have even more fire? Win a title for your father? I know his 4th ring meant more because of what happened the season before and the Bulls bounced back and also they won on Father's Day. I never understood that about Jordan and it's my only gripe about him is when he retired in 1993. He had thoughts of retiring in 1991! Incredible!

That doesn't sound like a competitor to me. I would have been flabbergasted if he would have retired in 1991. That would be the biggest B.S. ever. What do you guys think? It took me years to get over the first retirement as I was living in Park Forest and Champaign in my younger years, so I rooted for the home state. This makes me more upset than him coming back and playing for the Wizards but his years there were overlooked but now being appreciated. I just don't get that mindset of Jordan when he retired the first time. He could have won 8 titles!

Default Re: What I Do Not Understand About Jordan's 1st Retirement...

He retired so he wouldn't get suspended.

What he did competitively, trying to become a professional at an entirely different sport. One not played since HS, individually is WAY more difficult than 4 peating.

Which they probably would have in '94.

That's like LeBron or Kobe in the middle of their prime trying to go pro at the NFL or FIFA because no one else could challenge them individually.

Which certainly isn't the case on their part. They haven't dominated unanimously their sport the way Jordan did from '88 to '93.

Banned

You summed it up perfectly. Jordan wasn't a competitor. LeBron's greatness and hunger is sustainable much like how the Romans envisioned people should be. He's perpetually in the zone and focused. Jordan was a man of many distractions and addictions. Not a GOAT.

STFU newbie. Stop trying to pretend like you lived through that era. When you said, "That doesn't sound like a competitor to me", you lost all credibility there LeBron fan. MJ was the GOAT competitor. Admit it, you are a newbie who tried to read up on that era but don't know what actually happened.

The fact is, the walls were closing in on MJ. He was so great, so dominant, so popular, he really lost that urge. He had come off a 3 peat where he was utterly dominant, especially in the playoffs. His father dying also pushed him towards retirement.

You got nothing. He came back at the ages of 32-35 and freaken 3 peated again and had to carry even more of an offensive load in the playoffs, especially in the finals. You mentioned 3 ball. Well, he puts up those playoff numbers regularly. Maybe you should read up.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

What nonsense...the 94 bulls would have crushed the rockets with Jordan. The 94 Rockets, 94 Knicks, and 94 Bulls were all around the same level as they were. The 95 Rockets are BETTER than the 94 Rockets...they peaked at the perfect time...in the playoffs. Clyde took a lot of pressure off of Hakeem.

What you youngsters need to realize is that what ultimately made him the GOAT was his ability to RAISE his level of play when it mattered most. He took more names, crushed more souls and sealed the deal better than anyone in history. Everyone loves winners, especially when it was YOU who was most responsible for the winning.

MJ never gave an inch every time he stepped on the court. People saw this. They saw his drive, his will to win, his CONFIDENCE in the crucial moments. That's what it's all about in the end. Do you deliver when it matters most. Can you answer the bell when the heat is at its highest.

No one would dare incite Jordan, the way Klay verbally punked LeBron in the Finals. They were scared of the consequences, this tells you the differing respect levels from your peers.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

You answered your own question. He was considered GOAT by 93. What's higher than being #1? MJ felt like his only real competition were Bird and Magic. Once he did something they didn't, he no longer thought the scrutiny was worth it. He wasn't playing for stats, he was playing for status. He defeated all foes, retired and then came back to defeat the new ones that came up.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist
    You answered your own question. He was considered GOAT by 93. What's higher than being #1? MJ felt like his only real competition were Bird and Magic. Once he did something they didn't, he no longer thought the scrutiny was worth it. He wasn't playing for stats, he was playing for status. He defeated all foes, retired and then came back to defeat the new ones that came up.
    Truth. He eclipsed Bird and Magic emphatically by 30 years old.

LeBron by comparison has been here since he was 18, 14x seasons deep and about to be 32 years old ... But he still has awhile to go before he catches the "ghost legend in Chi-town" he's been admittedly chasing.

Needs 1x more MVPs plus 3x more rings just to TIE Mike.

Long Live The Process fourkicks44's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koresh
    This is not a thread to bait 3Ball (even though I hate his guts) or to troll.

This is a serious discussion. This thought came into my head while walking home yesterday. We all know Jordan is the most competitive player to ever play in the NBA but this guy retired in 1993 when he was proclaimed the GOAT. I even remember reading magazines and articles saying he was the GOAT in 1993. So, basically, Jordan said in his own words when he won in 1991 that he would have retired. My main gripe is when he first retired in 1993. This guys loves to win. He loves challenges. He loves being competitive. He said he was burned out and he accomplished what he could. I would say "okay" but wouldn't he have had more of a challenge to do something that hasn't been done since the 1960's? By winning 4 titles or even 5 titles in a row? Who was really going to beat the Bulls in 94-95?

I always said to my friends that Jordan could have won in 1995 because the Rockets weren't that good. 1994 is a toss up. I just don't get it. I understand his father died in 1993 but wouldn't that pushed him to have even more fire? Win a title for your father? I know his 4th ring meant more because of what happened the season before and the Bulls bounced back and also they won on Father's Day. I never understood that about Jordan and it's my only gripe about him is when he retired in 1993. He had thoughts of retiring in 1991! Incredible!

That doesn't sound like a competitor to me. I would have been flabbergasted if he would have retired in 1991. That would be the biggest B.S. ever. What do you guys think? It took me years to get over the first retirement as I was living in Park Forest and Champaign in my younger years, so I rooted for the home state. This makes me more upset than him coming back and playing for the Wizards but his years there were overlooked but now being appreciated. I just don't get that mindset of Jordan when he retired the first time. He could have won 8 titles!
    This thread is the ultimate personification of the term 'rent free'.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by HenryGarfunkle
    You summed it up perfectly. Jordan wasn't a competitor. LeBron's greatness and hunger is sustainable much like how the Romans envisioned people should be. He's perpetually in the zone and focused. Jordan was a man of many distractions and addictions. Not a GOAT.

MJ had no challenges, yet came back after he quit with 17 games left in the reg. season to try to win an easy back door ring.

Then he wanted a bigger challenge the following year so the Bulls went out and signed current 4x rebounding champion and current 1st team all-defense Mr. Dennis Rodman.

MJ wanted it harder for himself????

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Jordan felt he had carried the franchise past Detroit , and then won 3 titles.
    His lose of his dad was significant.
    His dad loved baseball as much as Mike did. (hense he took it up)
    *Yes its speculation he could of been suspended from the league , but the league was making a ton of money on this iconic player.

I have always stated - he could of won 9 titles. Year he came back he was rusty , and lost in the playoff's wearing number 45/

Not defending Jordan , who would ever know seriously what he was thinking when he quit on the Bulls the first time , but it is well known he did not like the front office.
    even the last year he played with Pip , the next year they could of won another chip if the front office , showed legit concerns for Jackson , Pip as well as their league star Jordan...... it's called respect and money to keep a team together.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo
    MJ had no challenges, yet came back after he quit with 17 games left in the reg. season to try to win an easy back door ring.
    Don't get you goofs

Yal claim on one end MJ retired so he didn't face the Rockets, then the other claim he returned hoping for an easy ring after witnessing the Rockets dominate the Knicks the previous Finals and the rest of the East become stronger and the Bulls were 34-31 when he returned

In what world is joining a 34-31 team considered trying to get an "easy backdoor ring" Honestly, the suggestion itself just emphasizes Jordans impact, which is even more hilarious given again, yal like to deny that same impact with the 94 season

Yal talk about Kobe fans, but damn. Anyone else contradict their own arguments so much?

Then he wanted a bigger challenge the following year so the Bulls went out and signed current 4x rebounding champion and current 1st team all-defense Mr. Dennis Rodman.
    That was a smart move. They had no size upfront losing Grant and Jordan nor Pippen are guarding Shaq. Rodman made sense and if you recall, he wasn't exactly a hot commodity around the league after how badly his Spurs tenure ended

MJ wanted it harder for himself????
    Obviously, otherwise he would've jumped ship instead