Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Banned

Default Re: Phil Jackson wants back but hasn't gotten any calls/offers

riley doesn't have his cell number?

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
    Make sure any team that signs him gets a comfy chair and some popcorn. Aside from his triangle offense, Phil is overrated. That's my personal opinion. He sits down and never says anything to players. He had the luxury of coaching MJ, Kobe and Shaq. When in essence any coach could guide those players to a championship. I respect him, but people act like an immediate championship is a result of Phil coaching.
    It's a matter of opinion that he's overrated, so I can respect that. But I've simply never bought that most coaches could replace him with similar results.

Yes, he's had great players, and at times the best player, MJ for most of the 90's was, Shaq was at least from '00-'02 and Kobe was at least from '06-'08.

But how often has he ever had the most talented TEAM in the league?

It's been rare that any of his teams have been widely considered the most talented. During the first 3peat, there was Portland, Phoenix, LA, and Detroit, all of whom at one point had deeper and more talented rosters.

Some may consider 1 or 2 of the second 3peat teams the most talented too, but I don't think so with the '96 Magic, the Sonics before they traded Kemp, and the '98 Lakers. Even the '97 Rockets with their big 3.

And during the Lakers 3peat there was Portland widely regarded as the most talented and then Sacramento, and some would even say the Mavs with the big 3 + Van Exel.

The teams that I remember most considering the most talent were the 2 recent Laker championship teams. But I'm not sure I'd even agree with that considering Bynum's actual level of productivity due to injuries.

While the fact that his teams never won anything without him doesn't quite work in the Bulls case because their roster clearly wasn't good enough, but the Lakers didn't. The '98 Lakers were far more talented than the 3peat teams, but didn't win, and the reasons why were maturity, selfishness, execution, mental toughness ect.

And this current Laker team doesn't have Odom, and Kobe has a lost little, but Bynum has emerged as an elite big man, they still have Gasol, and Sessions is much more talented than Fisher, yet they don't look nearly as good as the teams Phil coached to championships.

I consider no less than 5-6 of Phil's teams to have overachieved. And I also believe he's gotten the best out of all 5 of the stars he's coached, and each of them grew and became better/more effective players and Phil had at least a little to do with it, or in some cases a lot. He was able to handle Rodman as well, and he also got the best out of Odom.

because he's over-rated

Because he's flaky.

Lebronyte Kryptonite

Quote Originally Posted by LBJDW305
    5 more rings if he coaches Mia went from MJ to Kobe to lebron

Please.

Lebron CLEARLY...DOES NOT have the work ethic of an MJ, but SOMEHOW he's going to play for the guy who coached him to 6 titles?

Keep dreaming

Knicks

Not airballing my layups anymore Ramiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 305Baller
    Knicks
    This.

I'll believe it when I see it from the Zen Master himself, not a supposed confidante.