Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    DON'T FEED THE TROLL arifgokcen's Avatar

Default Re: Who would you rather start a team with, Shaq or LeBron

We will have to wait and see but at this point based on playoff performances you have to take shaq.However seeing how lebron is playing its very probable that everyone will pick him over shaq in 3-4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by greymatter
    It's close. In this era's weak crop of centers, you'd have to go with Shaq. Any other era, I'd go with Lebron because he's far more durable and versatile. He's also not a liability in close games due to horrid FT shooting.
    Would you turn down Jordan aswell because of that reason? No you wouldnt, for that same reason is why you just cant turn down Lebron....

I understand if we were talking about Wade or Kobe or something, but this is Lebron... a guy who already is knocking on the Top 10 door at 27 (see where Shaq was at that age), hence with potential/time to be even GOAT.... Its a guy that can dominate up to 4 positions offensively and can efficiently guard all positions defensively and is a 30 point triple double machine.... he is the most versatile player in NBA history, factor in his athleticism and how he uses it he just might arguably be the most unique player ever... he is not your average superstar...
    Last edited by pauk; 11-27-2012 at 11:30 PM.

hard since we already know what shaq has done, lebron is still going, but id say shaq for now

Shaq.

Remember though, Lebron is still in his prime and may exceeds Shaq's prime. We do not know yet.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
    trolling hard bruh?

the center in your avatar would be a 3 time MVP in this weak era of big men

Shit, I didn't know Shaq's peak was in the mid 90's. Read again.

Samurai Swoosh

LeBron, w/o question.

Did more with less talent. Is easily the bigger draw / money maker. Is more durable, will put it more effort.

All in all he's just the superior player. Clearly. He'll probably wind up with comparable ring totals, too.

Alonzo
    Robinson
    Dikembe
    Ewing was good in 99-00 (tho nowhere near Ewing)
    Ben Wallace (00 and on)
    Theo Ratliff
    Rik Smits (only in 99-00)
    Yao Ming (02-03)

I'm literally keeping this to Shaq's true prime: 99-03. If you all want, we could make it 97-03.

How many good centers were there, consistently, between that time?

What does it matter ?

It's not like any center back then or now is stopping prime Shaq. The elite group of centers Shaq faced is still greater than what prime Howard is facing and Shaq more than held his own against those elite centers.

Going up against today's centers doesn't seem like a big problem to prime Shaq at all. It's the rule changes that would be the problem, which by the way... was also partly because of containing Shaq.

Shaq, no doubt.

I don't get why people are trying to knock Shaq down in this conversation by saying the centre position is any stronger or weaker than a particular era. The reason Shaq had arguably the most dominant peak years of all time was not because of the relative strength of opposition centre's, it's because peak Shaq was ridiculously overpowered. 7+ feet tall, a big body to match his aggressive offensive game and underrated passing abilities. There's no way any centre currently in the league is stopping prime shaq.

Interestingly enough, Lebron is one of the few other guys out there who can spout a similar argument. A skillset that lets him play effectively from positions 1-4 where he so easily mismatches any opponent it's unfair.

Ultimately, I would always pick the big man in this situation, especially if we are pretending we don't know what we do now (making it realistic if we were making this call) but I can completely understand why someone would pick Lebron over him, especially in this era where the rules (thanks to Shaq...) aren't as kind on his game

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    What does it matter ?

It's not like any center back then or now is stopping prime Shaq. The elite group of centers Shaq faced is still greater than what prime Howard is facing and Shaq more than held his own against those elite centers.

Going up against today's centers doesn't seem like a big problem to prime Shaq at all. It's the rule changes that would be the problem, which by the way... was also partly because of containing Shaq.

It matters because he said "today's centers", as if Shaq would be even more unstoppable. What I'm saying about centers has nothing to do with whether I'd take Shaq or Lebron.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    It matters because he said "today's centers", as if Shaq would be even more unstoppable. What I'm saying about centers has nothing to do with whether I'd take Shaq or Lebron.
    I somehow think that Shaq would be more valuable if that's possible.

It'll be similar to the early 2000 though. As someone said, it really doesn't matter. It's like any center today could guard him better than they did back then. It's more of a competition thing on who is the best center, which Shaq would win obviously.

I would say something though, it would be very interesting to see KG and Bosh try to guard Shaq since they are playing the center position now. Perkins too, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by whoah10115

Alonzo
    Robinson
    Dikembe
    Ewing was good in 99-00 (tho nowhere near Ewing)
    Ben Wallace (00 and on)
    Theo Ratliff
    Rik Smits (only in 99-00)
    Yao Ming (02-03)

I'm literally keeping this to Shaq's true prime: 99-03. If you all want, we could make it 97-03.

A few more.

Vlade Divac, Jermaine O'Neal, Antonio McDyess, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Brad Miller, Marcus Camby, and Jamaal Magloire.
    Last edited by Micku; 11-28-2012 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    He would foul out fast, no ref is gonna let him elbow people in the chest. His aggressiveness would get him lot of techs...

Good High School Starter AussieG's Avatar

Imagine if Shaq could shoot FT's..

Decent playground baller

I'd take a peak Shaq over most any player in NBA history.

One of the all-time basketball juggernauts.