Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    National High School Star NewYorkNoPicks's Avatar

Default Trading Tyson Chandler Can Bring NY a Championship

Now before the sheep flip out, take a second to hear my point.

The majority of the Knicks money is tied up between 3 players: 1 of which is a part time player at this stage of his career (Amare), and another is a 1 way player( Chandler).

Although Tysons reputation around the league in recent years has been stellar, in reality he isnt as special as many seem to believe.

For the majority of his career he hasnt averaged double figure rebounds, in fact i believe he has only done it 3 times including this season. Additionally, his ability as a shotblocker has always been exagerated; Chandler has never averaged 2 blocks per game and his numbers have generally been just slightly over 1 each outing.

While I would rank his help defense and post defense in the elite category, his other defensive contributions as noted above can be duplicated by a fair number of big men in the league. Considering his anemic offensive ability which is limited to alley-oops, overall youre left with a very one sided player who at $14 million a year is certainly not a bargain.

While Chandler is a great piece for a team to have, the Knicks really need another allstar offensive threat for them to take the next step. Even with JR, hes best served as an elite 3rd option due to his irratic demeanor at times on the court.

Chandler has been in the league since 2001 and is recovering from a spinal injury where a pinched nerve was involved. For a player whos effectiveness is so reliant on his mobility, this recent injury combined with the 13 years of miles on his body doesnt forecast well for any long term success.

The Knicks could really take the next step with another player who can create his own offense, and trying to fill in Chandlers absence with a cheaper big man.

Portland wants a big man of Chandlers calibur; would Aldridge be something theyd part with?

Would the Clippers swap DeAndre Jordan and Bledose for Tyson?

Havent considered too many trade options but I think its clear the Knicks should move Chandler while his value is still high...Melo needs help.
    Last edited by NewYorkNoPicks; 04-30-2013 at 04:37 AM.

NBA Fan

Default Re: Trading Tyson Chandler Can Bring NY a Championship

No.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Ignoring everything else...

Why the fuck would Portland trade Aldridge for Chandler?

If they can get a decent trade offer for him why not..
    Amare is just wasted cap space at this point also.. even though he was great off the bench this season, didn't last long..
    A lot of $$ is tied up in those two, and I doubt anyone wants amare.

NBA Fan

Quote Originally Posted by coin24
    Amare is just wasted cap space at this point also.. even though he was great off the bench this season, didn't last long..
    Amare should just retire for the betterment of the team, he could probably be our assistant coach.

Quote Originally Posted by coin24
    Thats what im saying. Moving Amare is the obvious move but it just isnt possible. The only chip we have in landing another allstar is Chandler, otherwise id keep him around.

That neck injury will not go away completely.... Back/spinal problems have hampered players before (Dwight Howard, Larry Johnson). When nerves are involved things get veryyyy tricky

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
    Now before the sheep flip out, take a second to hear my point.

The majority of the Knicks money is tied up between 3 players: 1 of which is a part time player at this stage in his career, and another is a 1 way player( Chandler).

While it is true that Melo does not play defense, I still think referring to him as a "part time player" is a little bit of a stretch.

Then again, maybe not.

Utryin2getthepipe? SevereUpInHere's Avatar

InB4 elgringos Bargs for Chandler.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    While it is true that Melo does not play defense, I still think referring to him as a "part time player" is a little bit of a stretch.

Then again, maybe not.
    I was talking Amare, as in he plays only part of the season

Otherwise weak joke on your behalf

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
    Ignoring everything else...

Why the fuck would Portland trade Aldridge for Chandler?
    because New York. I guess?

Banned

It's funny how the Knicks and their fans think they have any chance of reaching a finals during the remainder of the Carmelo and Amare twin-tower-contracts era.

Even if those guys weren't vastly overpaid, you would not be able to put a team around those two that would beat the team built around the three in Miami. But the fact that those two take up so much cap space, makes it kinda funny that some fans think Tyson Chandler is what holds them back.

All you can really do is point and laugh at these people. There was a thread a few days ago pretending the knicks could skip miami and asked about how many teams in the west the knicks could beat in the finals and get a chip. LMAO. There was a thread today bragging that Ray Felton is better than Lin and 40 years old Steve Nash. Which is BARELY true and nothing to brag about. But these Knicks fans, I tell ya. So desperate for SOMETHING to brag about. They've become the most delusional group of fans in the game.

The Knicks will not sniff a finals during the next 5 years, provided Lebron stays in the East. They may as well have a fire sale now and stock up on high draft picks, try and build a team that will reach its prime once Lebron is satisfied with his career and ready to hang it up. They literally have no chance in the meantime. Not because a team couldn't theoretically be assembled that could beat the Heat in a given year or two. It's just that that team aint gonna be the Carmelo Anthony knicks

Utryin2getthepipe? SevereUpInHere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    It's funny how the Knicks and their fans think they have any chance of reaching a finals during the remainder of the Carmelo and Amare twin-tower-contracts era.

Even if those guys weren't vastly overpaid, you would not be able to put a team around those two that would beat the team built around the three in Miami. But the fact that those two take up so much cap space, makes it kinda funny that some fans think Tyson Chandler is what holds them back.

All you can really do is point and laugh at these people. There was a thread a few days ago pretending the knicks could skip miami and asked about how many teams in the west the knicks could beat in the finals and get a chip. LMAO. There was a thread today bragging that Ray Felton is better than Lin and 40 years old Steve Nash. Which is BARELY true and nothing to brag about. But these Knicks fans, I tell ya. So desperate for SOMETHING to brag about. They've become the most delusional group of fans in the game.

The Knicks will not sniff a finals during the next 5 years, provided Lebron stays in the East. They may as well have a fire sale now and stock up on high draft picks, try and build a team that will reach its prime once Lebron is satisfied with his career and ready to hang it up. They literally have no chance in the meantime. Not because a team couldn't theoretically be assembled that could beat the Heat in a given year or two. It's just that that team aint gonna be the Carmelo Anthony knicks
    What team in the East has a shot then? What was the point of that long winded meandering response? Why should any team even show up if they're not going to be able to beat Miami? Tyson and Amare expire in 2 years.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SevereUpInHere
    Why should any team even show up if they're not going to be able to beat Miami?

Well, the simple answer is to make money selling tickets to deluded fans like you who think they have a shot

Learning to shoot layups MtMutombo's Avatar

There's a lot of good opinions here but I think the one that's stood out to me is that OldSkool is the GOAT moron.

Banned

Sort of agree with some points and do agree Chandler's value is above what he is actually worth. However Portland is craving a legit center so they can put him NEXT TO Aldridge.