Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star kenny817's Avatar

Default Re: Could Dennis Rodman defend Lebron?

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Marion shut down Lebron? What? Where? When? How? No my man... its not him or any one man that was bothering him, it was those guys behind Marion....
    lol^ didn't watch The Finals

Marion shut down Kobe, then Durant, then Bron

Shutting down doesn't mean they don't score...but please believe they work for those points when The Matrix is guarding them

Local High School Star lakerspng's Avatar

No, thats a speed/quickness mismatch (talent/skill mismatch is obvious)... and Lebron is even bigger than Rodman was...
    I don't think you realize how strong Dennis Rodman was... he would easily muscle LBJ out of position. He was able to stand his ground against much stronger guys like CB34, Shaq, Malone, etc. Lebron's additonal height means nothing in this matchup. quickness is Lebron's only advantage, but Rodman's defensive footwork and instincts would make up for that a lot. Mentally LBJ is not ready for what Rodman would throw at him, there's nobody in the NBA today close.

Lebron would still be able to effect a game, but not close to what he's used to. It would be a fun matchup to watch for sure. I think the deciding factor would be how it was officiated because Rodman got away with a ton of shady BS that he would not get away with in today's NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Exactly, and I don't think LeBron is smart enough or mature enough to take that abuse. He would get incredibly frustrated, it would get in his head and he'd f*ck up badly. Rodman would Brickowski his ass.

While not being the greatest man defender, he's still arguably as good as Tony Allen, Marion, and other guys who gave LeBron a hard time.
    It's hard to say, dude... because the refs don't let people get all over LeBron. I can't think of any player who has been on him like Rodman would have been. He'd probably get some BS calls. But yea I think Rodman would be tough for Bron because dude was a great athlete and really strong.

-Smak

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Marion shut down Lebron? What? Where? When? How? No my man... its not him or any one man that was bothering him, it was those guys behind Marion.... but more than that it was himself that shut himself down

Ok Skip Bayless...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv2jqFd2-qI

Local High School Star kenny817's Avatar

Nobody could get into your head like Rodman could...this has to be taken into account as well

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by usa hoops
    Of course, I'm referring to Rodman in his prime.

I wouldn't expect him to shut him down, but could he frustrate him enough that he would hold him below his average?
    Under today's rules? NO

Under past rules? YES

Naturally, there'd be times Bron would get the best of him. But he'd defend him much better than anybody today due to the rules. I'm sure there's many players today that can do a great job on him, but the rules won't allow them to do so.

Dunking on everybody in the park Djahjaga's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Dennis Rodman's "Incedible defense on Shaq!" video has made Dennis Rodman overrated as a defender. Rodman was not the best defender in his time, he was known as a pest player that would get in your head and cheapshot you a few times in order to get you throw out of games, he also was good at making the right kind of hustle intangible plays at the right time to help the teams he was on, and was of course a supremely elite rebounder. But he wasn't some defensive god. If you want someone to defend Lebron from that era you pick Scottie Pippen.
    This. No agenda here and nothing against Rodman (big fan, actually), but people seem to forget that Shaq averaged 27/11/4/1.5/1.5 on 64% shooting against Rodman in that series. Please, no rhetoric about how "those were the hardest 27 points Shaq ever got." When we say that, we usually mean the offensive player had to take more shots or was generally less effective. I fail to see how either applies in this case.

That video is great, and it showcases Rodman's versatility, but, like CavsFTW said, it's given Rodman a reputation he doesn't fully deserve.

Not that he couldn't guard Lebron, or that he could -- this is just something I've been thinking for a little while and wasn't sure how agreeable it would be.

I am your soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    It's hard to say, dude... because the refs don't let people get all over LeBron. I can't think of any player who has been on him like Rodman would have been. He'd probably get some BS calls. But yea I think Rodman would be tough for Bron because dude was a great athlete and really strong.

-Smak
    It really depends on what era rules they play with, but I think he'd definitely give him fits now (with the mental game), and in the past get physical.

Troll who tries to provoke you

The following players can easily defend LBJ because lebron's BALL HANDLING skills & BALL CONTROL is pretty ordinary!

-Dennis Rodman
    -Michael Jordan
    -Scottie Pippen
    -Michael Cooper
    -Joe Dumars
    -Gary Payton

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Djahjaga
    This. No agenda here and nothing against Rodman (big fan, actually), but people seem to forget that Shaq averaged 27/11/4/1.5/1.5 on 64% shooting against Rodman in that series. Please, no rhetoric about how "those were the hardest 27 points Shaq ever got." When we say that, we usually mean the offensive player had to take more shots or was generally less effective. I fail to see how either applies in this case.

That video is great, and it showcases Rodman's versatility, but, like CavsFTW said, it's given Rodman a reputation he doesn't fully deserve.

Not that he couldn't guard Lebron, or that he could -- this is just something I've been thinking for a little while and wasn't sure how agreeable it would be.
    No he didn't. Rodman guarded Shaq on a few instances, where he did very well by getting him out of position and taking tough shots. He did not guard him the whole series every time he was on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Shawn Marion shut down Lebron, and Rodman was a superior defender to Marion. I don't see why he couldn't.
    Lol at this bullshit.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1&p2=mariosh01

Entity of Existence Living Being's Avatar

Prime KG or Robert Horry are worth a mention.

NBA rookie of the year Kingwillball's Avatar

I will say this between Pippen and Rodman the Old school Bulls would be better equipped than anyone to make Lebron to really work for his points.

Lakers 4 life. Kobe!

Old fart nostalgia at it again. "Teh past always better than present."

I think Rodman was every bit the athlete James is. Phil Jackson said Rodman was the best athlete he ever saw.