Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Ioannis Antetokoumpo 18 Year Old 6'9

Great thread

Lets hope that guy is a top 5 talent

This draft could be an interesting crap shoot

Why is the spelling of his name so different?

Didn't that 6-9 Asian magic get requested instead of Marc gasol by the grizzlies in the pau trade

I usually hit open layups

You can't teach the skills this kid has!

Not just big & athletic, but plays with a natural dominant confidence!

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    He's Nigerian, not Greek so you must hate that Euroleague. In other news he can't defend small point guards and is listed as a small forward with good ball handling skills. Average end of the bench guy likely.
    He was born in Greece, lived his whole life in Greece. He speaks only Greek and English. He plays for Greek national teams........

His brother recently gave an interview where he said he and his brothers are GREEK.

Also, they do NOT have a Nigerian citizenship.

So he is actually a Greek of Nigerian descent. Not a Nigerian. They actually cannot even get a Nigerian passport.

So Nigerian parents and lineage, but 100% Greek nationality and culture.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 02-27-2013 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by el gringos
    Why is the spelling of his name so different?

Didn't that 6-9 Asian magic get requested instead of Marc gasol by the grizzlies in the pau trade
    Because he's Greek. Draftexpress of course can't be bothered to get trivial facts like the spelling of names right. It's typical across their website.

Simple explanation, DX are lazy.

His parents come from Nigeria, where the name would be translated into English as, "Adetokunbo".

But he's a Greek and not a Nigerian citizen, (DX says he does not have Greek citizenship which isn't true, he does not have a Greek passport)

So, in the Greek hospital you would take Adetokunbo, and it becomes Antetokoumpo, since Greek language uses entirely different alphabet than English one.

If you changed it back from Greek, and then "Americanized it", it would be Adetocunbo, with a C, not a K.

First name is translated literally as "Giannis" into Latin form. Just means "John" in English. However, this is not how it is pronounced. Correct phonetic way would be, "Yannis". That would be in English known as, "Yanni" without the S, since in English you don't use the S.

However, the actual formal spelling of the name in proper English form would Ioannis.

So.......actual correct proper Greek name, should translate to Ioannis Antetokoumpo. But, informal and Latinized version of Greek common first name and Nigerian last names would be Giannis Adetokunbo, or Giannis Adetocunbo.

Since they are from Greece though, they pronounce it as GREEK way. So you pronounce his name as "Yannis Antetokumpo".

Various other spellings could be used, since Greek and Latin alphabets are different.

Basically, common, but really incorrect name can be spelled Giannis Adetokunbo or Giannis Adetocunbo. Correct proper spelling should be Ioannis Antetokpoumpo in way this is what would be translated from Greek passport to say FIBA registry.

Name is pronounced Yannis Antetokumpo, but in America, you would pronounce it Yanni Antetokumpo.

It's typical for this confusion with Greek player's names in USA. Spanoulis' name was always pronounced wrong in USA. Even Koufos' name is actually spelled wrong and is pronounced wrong in USA. Same with Nick Calalthes, etc. Hell, they even spelled Galis' name wrong in USA.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 02-27-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    Here is Draftexpress' scout video on him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km632hL-XCo

As you can see, he IS playing as a point guard.
    :16 second

He seems like a end of the first to mid second round prospect based off of these videos, don't see the hugely impressive part in the slightest, nor the point guard portion of things.

Marcus LoVett Jr. & Aaron Holiday impress me more and both will most likely be points in the pros (or at least 2s stuck in a points body)

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Shaun* Livingston was a "pure PG" only because he couldnt do anything else well at that size besides handle the ball extremly well and pass it somewhat.... and i dont think his injury robbed him much....
    Somewhat? Dude had damn good peripheral vision. I remember him making a behind the back pass while on the floor after diving for a loose ball and connecting to Ross right on the spot for an easy lay-up. He was also an above average defender who would have ended up premier at his position had he not gotten injured.

Quote Originally Posted by HAzE024
    :16 second

That's just their own BULLSHIT nonsense idiot. Actually watch the damn video. he's playing POINT GUARD, just like I said.

DX is just doing their usual BULLSHIT saying he plays a different position than he really does. The video CLEARLY shows he plays POINT GUARD. JUST LIKE I SAID.

The thread for his older brother Thanasis --->

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...9&page=1&pp=15
    Last edited by Euroleague; 02-27-2013 at 10:24 PM.

So Greece decided to steal Nigeria's talent because they got their ass handed to them ?

Quote Originally Posted by qrich
    He seems like a end of the first to mid second round prospect based off of these videos, don't see the hugely impressive part in the slightest, nor the point guard portion of things.

Marcus LoVett Jr. & Aaron Holiday impress me more and both will most likely be points in the pros (or at least 2s stuck in a points body)

Somewhat? Dude had damn good peripheral vision. I remember him making a behind the back pass while on the floor after diving for a loose ball and connecting to Ross right on the spot for an easy lay-up. He was also an above average defender who would have ended up premier at his position had he not gotten injured.
    You have never once been even remotely right about any European player.

Quote Originally Posted by AirTupac
    So Greece decided to steal Nigeria's talent because they got their ass handed to them ?
    Actually they were born and raised in GREECE. Actually, Nigeria and Spain already asked them to change nationality from Greece to play for Nigeria or Spain.

Both brothers refused, even turning down big amounts of money offered by Spain to do so. Both brothers stated they will play for Greece, the country they lived their whole life in.

Actually, you are a PIECE OF SHIT.

Actually they were born and raised in GREECE. Actually, Nigeria and Spain already asked them to change nationality from Greece to play for Nigeria or Spain.

Both brothers refused, even turning down big amounts of money offered by Spain to do so. Both brothers stated they will play for Greece, the country they lived their whole life in.

Actually, you are a PIECE OF SHIT.
    They are black and they can dunk. They are not from Greece. They are STOLEN products from a GREAT basketball nation that DESTROYED Greece.

Quote Originally Posted by AirTupac
    They are black and they can dunk. They are not from Greece. They are STOLEN products from a GREAT basketball nation that DESTROYED Greece.
    That's funny, considering they gave an interview where they said they are not even allowed to enter into Nigeria.

And just so you know, ALL racist assholes like you will burn in hell.

That's funny, considering they gave an interview where they said they are not even allowed to enter into Nigeria.
    Then why does it say on the Euroleague site that Nigeria is in the process of getting papers for BOTH brothers?