Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Josh Childress Might Be A Bust In Euroleague

With his $20 million net salary (more than the full NBA MLE) Josh Childress looks like he might be end up being a bust for Olympiacos. I've been following on this since all the Kobe to Olympiacos stories. Man, Childress is disappointing so far for that Greek club.

And damn the Euroleague level is WAY ABOVE what anyone in the US thinks or admits you can watch the games online. That's a VERY legit league. For being the highest paid player in Europe, Childress is really a big bust so far.

Josh Childress Euroleague Stats

44.2% FG
    14.3% 3PT FG
    52.6 FT%

9.8 points per game
    4.8 rebounds per game
    1.0 assists per game
    0.6 steals per game
    1.0 blocks per game
    2.8 turnovers per game

I remember this summer just about EVERY fan in the US was saying he would dominate over there, win the MVP, win all the championships, lead the league in scoring, etc. Well this just pretty much shows IMHO that it's about time that people start realizing how tough the competition is over there.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Default Re: Josh Childress Might Be A Bust In Euroleague

Quote Originally Posted by Lakas Fan Yo
    With his $20 million net salary (more than the full NBA MLE) Josh Childress looks like he might be end up being a bust for Olympiacos. I've been following on this since all the Kobe to Olympiacos stories. Man, Childress is disappointing so far for that Greek club.

And damn the Euroleague level is WAY ABOVE what anyone in the US thinks or admits you can watch the games online. That's a VERY legit league. For being the highest paid player in Europe, Childress is really a big bust so far.

Josh Childress Euroleague Stats

44.2% FG
    14.3% 3PT FG
    52.6 FT%

9.8 points per game
    4.8 rebounds per game
    1.0 assists per game
    0.6 steals per game
    1.0 blocks per game
    2.8 turnovers per game

I remember this summer just about EVERY fan in the US was saying he would dominate over there, win the MVP, win all the championships, lead the league in scoring, etc. Well this just pretty much shows IMHO that it's about time that people start realizing how tough the competition is over there.
    um idk why you make it seem like he was so successful in the NBA...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by brandonislegend
    um idk why you make it seem like he was so successful in the NBA...

Well his NBA stats are significantly BETTER than those stats. See for yourself.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/josh_c...eer_stats.html

Rather than "dominate" over there, he is even less effective than he was in the NBA. So apparently the Euroleague is a hell of a lot better than us Americans (who honestly 99.9% of us have never even seen a Euroleague game) want to admit

Josh Childress was always a marginal NBA talent. If you had watched him play his stats would make sense. His high shooting percentage in the NBA is a result of him scoring nearly all his points on garbage buckets. He rarely if rarely launched shots from long or midrange. Couple his inability to shoot with the shorter quarters in European basketball and it makes since that his scoring would suffer. He is still hitting the boards nicely, and those assists are deceiving. The stat is tabulated differently in Europe. Chris Paul would average around 6 assists in Euroleague, as most of the stats credited from his passes to David West would not count as assists. He would have to rely on his opps to Ty, and his kickouts to Ty.

Also could you bump the threads where posters were claiming that he would dominate? I would like to see them.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Well his NBA stats are significantly BETTER than those stats. See for yourself.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/josh_c...eer_stats.html

Rather than "dominate" over there, he is even less effective than he was in the NBA. So apparently the Euroleague is a hell of a lot better than us Americans (who honestly 99.9% of us have never even seen a Euroleague game) want to admit
    maybe because in the NBA no one cared to guard him because there were bigger threats, i dont know about the euro league but if hes the most paid people are probably trying to guard him

I rule the local playground b.jerk's Avatar

Euroleague and nba are different. Nba is all about stats and the euroleague is about wins. Childress is a player on the deepest team in europe and doesn't always have the scoring opportunities.

I do have the same feelings that the nba proponents always do retrospective analysis and their conclusion is predictably the nba is far superior. Reality is the quality gap is close, I would argue the average euroleague players is a better more complete player than the average nba players.

Not when you factor in defense, range, handles and other factors. The fundamental nature of the European game gets overstated. There was no retrospective analysis in regards to Josh Childress. His team made a mistake in signing him. The Hawks lowballed him, and no other team in the NBA thought to use the MLE on him. Even a team like the Raptors, who were desperate for swingman help, passed on him. On The Hawks Childress was not called on to create his own shot, and was generally the last option on offense.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    Josh Childress was always a marginal NBA talent. If you had watched him play his stats would make sense. His high shooting percentage in the NBA is a result of him scoring nearly all his points on garbage buckets. He rarely if rarely launched shots from long or midrange. Couple his inability to shoot with the shorter quarters in European basketball and it makes since that his scoring would suffer. He is still hitting the boards nicely, and those assists are deceiving. The stat is tabulated differently in Europe. Chris Paul would average around 6 assists in Euroleague, as most of the stats credited from his passes to David West would not count as assists. He would have to rely on his opps to Ty, and his kickouts to Ty.

Also could you bump the threads where posters were claiming that he would dominate? I would like to see them.
    The shorter game? I don't think so. He's getting 27.4 minutes per game last year he got 29.9 minutes per game in the NBA. 11.8 points per game last year in 29.9 minutes in the NBA........

so he's still averaging less points per minute than last year. As far as the assists go, he's only averaging 1 assist, which is only about 2 in the NBA score keeping method, not exactly a huge difference from his 1.8 career average in the NBA.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by b.jerk
    Euroleague and nba are different. Nba is all about stats and the euroleague is about wins. Childress is a player on the deepest team in europe and doesn't always have the scoring opportunities.

I do have the same feelings that the nba proponents always do retrospective analysis and their conclusion is predictably the nba is far superior. Reality is the quality gap is close, I would argue the average euroleague players is a better more complete player than the average nba players.
    I disagree that he is playing on the deepest team in Europe. I've been watching games online and I would certainly say CSKA Moscow, FC Barcelona, especially Panathinaikos are all deeper teams than Olympiacos.

I like Childress, but he really isn't one of our best players.

I rule the local playground b.jerk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    Not when you factor in defense, range, handles and other factors. The fundamental nature of the European game gets overstated. There was no retrospective analysis in regards to Josh Childress. His team made a mistake in signing him. The Hawks lowballed him, and no other team in the NBA thought to use the MLE on him. Even a team like the Raptors, who were desperate for swingman help, passed on him. On The Hawks Childress was not called on to create his own shot, and was generally the last option on offense.
    This is what I'm talking about, nba guy predictably does retrospective analysis to fit his world view where professional athletes in the euroleague can't dunk, can't dribble, can't defend and can't physically shoot nba three pointers. The reality is no one plays defense in the nba regular season and the defense in the playoff's is still poor.

Josh Childress was a successful nba player that was offered solid nba contracts. He was offered more money at Olympiacos because the economy is going through a recession and nba teams need to cut cost. I personally think Josh Childress has been a success but he hasn't been the star nba guy predicted.

This is what I'm talking about, nba guy predictably does retrospective analysis to fit his world view where professional athletes in the euroleague can't dunk, can't dribble, can't defend and can't physically shoot nba three pointers. The reality is no one plays defense in the nba regular season and the defense in the playoff's is still poor.

Josh Childress was a successful nba player that was offered solid nba contracts. He was offered more money at Olympiacos because the economy is going through a recession and nba teams need to cut cost. I personally think Josh Childress has been a success but he hasn't been the star nba guy predicted.
    Well, Childress was a sixth man.

Saw a basketball once freegamer300's Avatar

I disagree that he is playing on the deepest team in Europe. I've been watching games online and I would certainly say CSKA Moscow, FC Barcelona, especially Panathinaikos are all deeper teams than Olympiacos.
    What site are you watching these games on?

Only the Hawks offered him a deal, and that is because they held his Bird Rights and were able to go over the cap to retain his services.

Yes there is a difference in range, and it shows when Euros make the jump to the NBA. Dirk, Peja, Arvydas Macijauskas,The Sashas, and others struggled to shoot when they made the jump to the NBA. You know good and well that American players are expected to be able to defend when they go to Europe, and ironic thing is that the players who go to Europe and defend are not in the NBA because they can't defend NBA quality offensive threats.

I broke down Childress' game. He is a very, very limited player. On his best day he is an average player. There are comparable players playing in the DLeague. Noel Felix is better than Josh Childress. Josh was replaced by players who make considerably less than him, and are both individually are outperforming him.

Other NBA players who could not get deals are excelling in Europe. Earl Boykins and Jannero Pargo are ripping it up, and they could not get a deals. These guys are fringe players.

Yep, I'm really glad to see Boykins doing well. He's averaging over 18 points per game.