Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Witcher 3 Announced for 2014! (likely to be on next gen consoles)

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    Played about an hour last night. It's alright. Not as amazing as the hype had me believe. Some of the animation is less than perfect, the controls (on console) feel a bit off to me but I'll probably get used to it and the inventory/loot system seems lazily ported from PC. Not enough for a real judgement and I still enjoyed what I played (and will enjoy it more once I learn the systems and controls properly) but it didn't' blow me away instantly.
    It's better the further you go. I had the same impression but it's so involved that it's very immersive. You actually walk along and find things or find real missions with story, not just run n fetch.

This is the new gold standard for RPG's. I can't believe Skyrim has a higher score on Metacritic The Witcher 3 shits on it in every way.

National High School Star

Sunk as much time as my missus would let me over the weekend. Really loving it, it's on of the only games in a long time that i start playing and i forget about everything, time, bills, work, life haha.

It does a great job of drawing you in, and while i find some of what Geralt says is mega lame, all the voice acting and expressions of the characters is great.
    It's also great that there is so many dialogue options and they all feel like they are important. I'm so keen to see how my game unravels now after completing some Tower sidequest.

Spoiler in white:
    [COLOR="White"]I slept with Kaira, informed her that i didn't burn the lab down, caught her leaving with research papers. I convinced her to give me the papers and head for Kahe Mourn.[/COLOR]

It's gonna be great to see how it changes that future in the game.

Banned

I'm still finding it a bit dull. The controls are pretty sluggish and combat is a button mash fest while holding block too. I've gone up against some enemies much higher level and some boss fights and I do barely any damage to them but they can't hit me if I just dodge and parry so it takes awhile to kill them but I never feel in any danger, the window to time things is HUGE.

Dunking on everybody in the park The Iron Sheik's Avatar

just started playing last night. i consider this to be my first witcher game even though i tried the first game for about 15 minutes. i like the combat a lot more than the first game. the animation is sometimes a bit slow, and i don't like how sensitive the player movement is (although i'm using an xbox controller on pc) but i like the fluidity of the combat.

of course, i have no idea of what's going on the plot, but i'm enjoying the game a lot so far.

I'm level 11 now, plenty of hours in but a lot of game left. This game does a good job setting the atmosphere. It's downright creepy sometimes. The combat it loads of fun once you start throwing bombs and using some of the combinations and strategies. Limbs flying everywhere.

Good thing after a very weak year last year now we have this. And we are not even halfway.

The only thing really bothering me about the controls now is the sensitivity to looting stuff. I often find myself lighting and extinguishing the same candle over and over

Dunking on everybody in the park The Iron Sheik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ai2death
    The only thing really bothering me about the controls now is the sensitivity to looting stuff. I often find myself lighting and extinguishing the same candle over and over
    this. the movement is also very sensitive so it's hard to make precise movements outside of combat. i find myself constantly turning too far to the left or the right when trying to focus on an object to loot or open a door. the activation radius for those things seem to be too small as well which only exacerbates the movement issue.

That whole Bloody Baron quest line was so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    That whole Bloody Baron quest line was so good.
    I just finished the [COLOR="White"]sage cave part [/COLOR]of the quest line, man that felt like it was never going to end. It was great, i really felt like i would be there for ever haha, at least i had company. Made things manageable.

Banned

So I'm further in now, liking the world more and the investigations and stuff but man the combat system is so slow and boring in this game, the lock on is annoying too and it seems some enemies auto lock on with no target (some bosses) and won't let you manually take it off so if there's multiple enemies sometimes he keeps turning to face the boss when you want to kill the smaller guys first.

I've played for hours and I'm still level 8, this is already one of my all time favorite games.

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    So I'm further in now, liking the world more and the investigations and stuff but man the combat system is so slow and boring in this game, the lock on is annoying too and it seems some enemies auto lock on with no target (some bosses) and won't let you manually take it off so if there's multiple enemies sometimes he keeps turning to face the boss when you want to kill the smaller guys first.
    lock on is useless... there is no point in using it against multiple enemies

Anyone else finished it already? The game for sure did a great job of ****ing with my emotions even though I got a good ending. I suspect it has to have a much bigger impact on someone like me who was read the books for the first time some 15 years ago than on someone who is new to the franchise.

Spoiler about Triss in white:

[COLOR="White"]****ed up my chance with Triss and was chastised by that big bald dude (don't know how to spell his name, Diktra or something?) for not going after her...so I reloaded a save and convinced her to stay with me. If only real life worked like that [/COLOR]

It's amazing how different the outcomes are in this game. For example (Baron quest spoilers in white):

[COLOR="White"]I killed the tree spirit, so the Baron takes his wife to a healer somewhere in the mountains, but if you free the tree spirit, his wife dies and he hangs himself.[/COLOR]

This is one of the best written games I've ever played. CD Project Red ****ing killed it.
    Last edited by Heavincent; 05-30-2015 at 04:32 AM.

Banned

How do you level up in this? Picked it up today and put in about four hours tonight, doing/finding mostly side-quests and contracts, along with some main quest and exploring. I haven't fought the griffin yet in White Orchard.

I'm only Level 1 though. Thought I'd be a bit higher by now.