Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Kobe Bryant vs Oscar Robertson

Which player is better?

Default Re: Kobe Bryant vs Oscar Robertson

Kb24

Dishonest, awful excuse of a fan cotdt's Avatar

That was the 60's. I doubt anyone today even remembers the Big O.

1971 Bucks>2009 Lakers.

Value Ape.

Quote Originally Posted by cotdt
    R o f

Anyone who follows hoop knows about Big O. Even if they are not that old, they know or they are ignorant.

Dishonest, awful excuse of a fan cotdt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by momo
    R o f

Anyone who follows hoop knows about Big O. Even if they are not that old, they know or they are ignorant.
    They might have heard about him and seen some short highlights of him, but few have watched his actual games. The ones who have just rely on 40 year old memory. Whereas Kobe Bryant, people have watched several hundred of his games. It's hard to compare the two from reputation/stats rather than watching the actual games from recent memory.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cotdt
    I agree

Its hard for the majority of us to really say who was better, since not many of us really saw them play enough.

The only positions that I think can be judged is the big men. Because big men today have deteriorated almost to the point of extinction.

Just 1 Rational Fan lbj23clutch's Avatar

Kobe Jelly-Bean Bryant.

A walking triple double is nice to have, but Kobe brings more to the table and his offense is definitely better in a sense where he can score from anywhere.

Local High School Star chitownsfinest's Avatar

Love Oscar but I gotta go with Kobe on this one

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfreak
    A walking triple double is nice to have, but Kobe brings more to the table and his offense is definitely better in a sense where he can score from anywhere.
    How do you know this?

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    How do you know this?
    I talk to people who watched the game from a while back and I take their word for it. Sound alright to you?

7-time NBA All-Star

Kobe. They both have great stats, but Kobe is more of a winner. Kobe has won 4 championships, 3 of them as a second option and 1 as a first option. Oscar just has one as a second option.

Kobe Bryant

He already won an NBA Championship as the no.1 option of his team.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

This was posted on RealGM by NeilsCeltics...

Quote Originally Posted by NeilsCeltics
    Overall, I personally believe that Kobe Bryant is a better player than Oscar Robertson.

- Why? He can shoot three pointers with a hand on his face, Oscar Robertson, I doubt he can do the same

- He can be an effective decoy, when he wants to, and when he becomes a decoy, his talented team wins game.

-Kobe Bryant is also faster than Oscar Robertson. From the accounts of Oscar Robertson fans, they said that he wasn't super fast, like Michael Jordan or Kobe, but he was very strong for a Guard, weighing 225 pounds of sold rock hard muscle. Oscar Robertson had the body of a power swingman, a swingman who bangs his way to the basket, and I am sure that he is stronger than Kobe Bryant. Kobe Bryant is a quick swingman.

-He plays better man-to-man defense. He plays better defense overall, and has 9 NBA First-Team Defense selections. Oscar Robertson was never as good as a man-to-man defender as Kobe Bryant is. Oscar Robertson fans agree, as far as I can see on these forums.

- He won his Chip' as the man

- Kobe Bryant has better off the ball movement than Oscar Robertson. Oscar Robertson had insanely high usage rates during his times at the Royals, along with the faster pace, the ironman era, and the lack of athletic frontcourt players, he grabbed 10 rebounds. In today's NBA, he wouldn't average 10. Somewhere around 7 or 9 at most. Seemed like Oscar Robertson padded his stats

- Kobe Bryant is a purer shooter than Oscar Robertson

- Kobe Bryant can attempt super crazy shots that will fall that Oscar Robertson can only dream of hitting

What Oscar Robertson has on Kobe Bryant is..

- He is more efficient than Kobe Bryant, and has a higher FG percentage, despite the fast rate of play and playing in the Ironman era

- He is less turn over prone, and had the mind state of a Point Guard, and a scorer's mentality. He is basically Paul Pierce and Kobe Bryant at the same time, Paul Pierce loved to bang inside the rim and score, Kobe Bryant likes to fake the socks off you with his basketball smarts, put them together, and you get Oscar Robertson's offensive style

- He is stronger than Kobe Bryant, he is made of 225 pounds of solid muscle

- He can run the point, while being a scorer at the same time

- He has a better post-up game than Kobe Bryant, he backed up his man and he was automatic once he got close, and if double teamed, he had extraordinary vision to pass to the open man

- Has better overall court vision than Kobe Bryant, as the result of running the Point often. Kobe has a Swingman's mentality, and is thus, more turnover prone, since he is more interested in scoring than running the offense

- Flawless fundamentals, and he made everything look too easy, he had no flash at all, he was brutally efficient that way

- He was always calm, and cold. Kobe Bryant gets angry, that is not good psychologically, and is not inspiring to you're teammates. Also, he gets bonus points for not cheating on his wife, not complaining about Airplane flights, and shooting himself out of the finals against Detroit Pistons

Overall, I'd take Kobe Bryant since he has more range, way better man-to-man defense, he is a purer shooter, he is much quicker, and he can shoot a three pointer with a hand on his face night in and night out. He also won his Championship as the man, Big O couldn't do the same.

What do you think?

Personally, I love Oscar Robertson and Kobe Bryant, but I'd pick Kobe Bryant.