Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Bill Russell vs Bill Walton (comparison as individual players)

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    Well what about the literally hundred's of quotes pertaining to Russell as a mastermind of passing?
    I have heard players praise Russell's passing, but how many have praised Walton's passing? Walton is consistently brought up when both fans and writers/analysts talk about the best passing big men?

What about Walton describing his game as being an imitation of Russell?
    This doesn't mean Walton wasn't a better passer, it could mean a variety of things, such as playing defense, rebounding, starting fast breaks, being unselfish ect. Walton's jump hooks, mid-range jumpers, ball fakes ect. were things that I've never heard of Russell doing or seen him doing with the exception of one short baseline jumper.

Most basically, what about Russell averaging so many assists in the lowest assist per FGM era NBA history?
    If anything, I think center's assists were higher in the 60's than more recent eras.

I've seen more footage of Russell than you, but still not enough to say for sure, but I can say for sure that those who watched him play the game, and especially those who played with him will tell you he had the court vision to rival any elite PG of his day. Also bear in mind he is the only center to win back-to-back titles with the offense running through him as a passer first and scorer second.
    I'm not sure about that, I've seen every game that I know is currently available, most are NBA Finals games except for game 4 of the '67 EDF and the '66 playoff game vs the Royals, some all-star footage, the college footage, tons of documentaries ect.

Unless you have access to footage that isn't common among traders, we've probably seen about the same.

I'm not saying he wasn't a good passer, but before I'll call him among the greatest passing big men ever, I'd have to see at least something visually to suggest that. In the footage we do have, we see Russell's defense, rebounding, rare ability to handle the ball for his size and speed running the court, so I'd think there'd be some visual evidence of his passing.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    I have heard players praise Russell's passing, but how many have praised Walton's passing? Walton is consistently brought up when both fans and writers/analysts talk about the best passing big men?

This doesn't mean Walton wasn't a better passer, it could mean a variety of things, such as playing defense, rebounding, starting fast breaks, being unselfish ect. Walton's jump hooks, mid-range jumpers, ball fakes ect. were things that I've never heard of Russell doing or seen him doing with the exception of one short baseline jumper.

If anything, I think center's assists were higher in the 60's than more recent eras.

I'm not sure about that, I've seen every game that I know is currently available, most are NBA Finals games except for game 4 of the '67 EDF and the '66 playoff game vs the Royals, some all-star footage, the college footage, tons of documentaries ect.

Unless you have access to footage that isn't common among traders, we've probably seen about the same.

I'm not saying he wasn't a good passer, but before I'll call him among the greatest passing big men ever, I'd have to see at least something visually to suggest that. In the footage we do have, we see Russell's defense, rebounding, rare ability to handle the ball for his size and speed running the court, so I'd think there'd be some visual evidence of his passing.
    I have had the privileged of a lot of extra Russell footage through personal connections, and regardless, the stuff available on youtube alone, when coupled with his averages (which indicate consistency) should supply you with the evidence to support my opinion.

Overall assists were considerably lower in the 60's. Something like 10% fewer field goals were assisted on from '55 to '76. Only Russell, Wilt and Maurice Stokes posted prolific assist numbers from the primary pivot pre-1970.

I know you've come around on Russell, but I still think you give your own judgment too much credit. You've seen at most 1-2% of Russell's career, I am willing to put my own opinion aside and trust those who witnessed it first hand more than my own opinion.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    I have had the privileged of a lot of extra Russell footage through personal connections, and regardless, the stuff available on youtube alone, when coupled with his averages (which indicate consistency) should supply you with the evidence to support my opinion.

Overall assists were considerably lower in the 60's. Something like 10% fewer field goals were assisted on from '55 to '76. Only Russell, Wilt and Maurice Stokes posted prolific assist numbers from the primary pivot pre-1970.

I know you've come around on Russell, but I still think you give your own judgment too much credit. You've seen at most 1-2% of Russell's career, I am willing to put my own opinion aside and trust those who witnessed it first hand more than my own opinion.
    IMO there isn't much difference between them as a passer to say one was better than the other. Its not like either was a magic when it came to passing. I think both just had good court awareness and was able to get the ball to the open man. Neither was passing off a dribble drive splitting the seams with no look behind the back passes.As a I said before Russ imo just had a better I am the leader personality where Walton was more of a come guys let "Us" go get em.Not to say one way is better than the other but you read more about how much of a leader Bill was and how great a player Walton was.

Value Ape.

Truthfully I have a tough time comparing walton to anyone, career wise as a basketball player or otherwise.

If one tries to project out an nba career with him having a body that holds up over time, one is faced with less than desirable sample size. And collegiate success is not always a great indicator. Witness Cristian Latiner.

But we know how great he was to watch and how unique is talents were. And he won. Then adapted to his new body limitations, and team, and won.

With Russel, without even seeing him people can say, check the hardware. End of story.

Bill Walton is one of the greatest centers in nba history at peak . 77 Bill better than any version of Admiral and Moses in my book . So , I guess ; I think he's close to Russell on their peaks .