Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Magic & Larry in the current league; what position and how good?

How good would these two behemoths of basketball be in the league today?

I see people say that Larry would be "exposed since he is unathletic. Which IMO is just a thiny veiled racist comment since Magic is hardly any more athletic than Bird.

I see Larry Bird thriving as a 4 in the current league. He is really the ideal guy to put next to the kind of 5 that just defends, rebounds, and blocks the rim. He would dominate his matchup on another basis and be the best player in the league.

I think Magic would have a much harder time defending than Larry would. Sometimes he would have to get switched off of PGs of his time, how about now with all these speed demons and no handchecking? I don't know if Magic would be able to play point in the current league. Perhaps in a role/situation such as LeBron ala the 3 spot? Regardless he'd easily be a top 5 player in the league.

Default Re: Magic & Larry in the current league; what position and how good?

What's with this dishwasher?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyMontana
    I see people say that Larry would be "exposed since he is unathletic.
    Those people are idiots. He wasn't considered athletic in the 80s either. You had guys like Dominique, MJ, Dr J, Larry Nance, etc and it didn't matter. Athleticism is overrated. Skill and knowing how to play the game matter a lot more. There are tons of athletic players who never make it or come off the bench.

Same positions. Just as good. Magic would struggle defending WC point guards, though.

Bird would play the 4 given his shooting and the fact that the league has shrunk in terms of size for the 4/5. I could even see him playing the 5 in spots also. 3's are also so athletic these days.

Magic PG and yeah, he would struggle on D given the no hand check rule and fast PGs. But he would dominate them in the post on the other end with hus size.

Both would be challenging every year for the MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyMontana
    How good would these two behemoths of basketball be in the league today?

I see people say that Larry would be "exposed since he is unathletic. Which IMO is just a thiny veiled racist comment since Magic is hardly any more athletic than Bird.

I see Larry Bird thriving as a 4 in the current league. He is really the ideal guy to put next to the kind of 5 that just defends, rebounds, and blocks the rim. He would dominate his matchup on another basis and be the best player in the league.
    I think Magic would have a much harder time defending than Larry would. Sometimes he would have to get switched off of PGs of his time, how about now with all these speed demons and no handchecking? I don't know if Magic would be able to play point in the current league. Perhaps in a role/situation such as LeBron ala the 3 spot? Regardless he'd easily be a top 5 player in the league.

I don't think Larry would be the unquestioned GOAT of today's league. He would be in the conversation.

Magic wasn't guarding opposing PG's back then either. Byron Scott was the one on KJ, Thomas, Stockton, Hardaway, etc. I don't see how this would be a problem today, just put him on the other teams' weakest offensive player. Alot of the elite PG's today besides Wall and Paul get hidden on defense too...you don't really see them guarding eachother either.

Offensively, he's a matchup nightmare - put a smaller guard on him and he'll post them up, put a bigger forward on him and he'll just use his quickness advantage over them. He'd be unstoppable.

They'd both be the best players in the league, 1 and 2 respectively.

LeBron is 30 going on 31, and Durant doesn't have the all-around package these guys bring to the court.

It'll be interesting to see just how good Davis will be this upcoming season, though.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Bird will go against guys like Iguodala, Khawi, Bron, KD. Magic will go against guys like Kobe, Wade, Manu, T-Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    They'd both be the best players in the league, 1 and 2 respectively.
    this

Bird would obviously rock but Magic..... worse than CP3 honestly. he would put up the stats but i dont see him winnng fmvps or mvps... too difficult in todays league for a pure guard

^ You crazy

Quote Originally Posted by orange_chicken
    Bird will go against guys like Iguodala, Khawi, Bron, KD. Magic will go against guys like Kobe, Wade, Manu, T-Mac.
    Those kind of guys existed in the 80s too. Dr J, Dominique, Moncrief (Wade-like athleticism), MJ, Drexler, Michael Cooper, etc.

Both of these guys are basketball geniuses. Their games would be somewhat different because of today's rules. They'd both be better at shooting the 3point shot with Bird probably eclipsing guys like Ray Allen or Curry.

I could see Magic being like Lebron but with a better shot, better passing but slightly less rebounding. Magic would be able to defend the 3 pointer very well with his length. Guards would have to put it on the floor against him.

Bird might lead the league in rebounds and scoring.

Both would be averaging a triple double.

They would destroy.

Bird would be a PF and the best player in the world. Magic would be a top 5 player but CP3 is better suited for this era and would be a better PG. Magic cant defend well and this era of PGs is more athletic and quicker for him

Theyd be the 2 best offensive players for sure tho