Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Election Fraud in North Carolina House Race

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    What is there to say about this? I personally EXPECT this kind of thing from politics. I believe in strong deterrents. If anyone manipulates the actual voter count, throw the book at them. I'm all for it.
    We can start by making sure that officials in NC get to the bottom of this, hopefully clearing Harris - though that's not so certain now with the new revelations - and holding another election so that the people of the NC 9th can get some representation in Congress. The election board should also make sure that McCrae Dowless never gets near an election again and stand to answer for his shenanigans in prior elections. This isn't the first time he's done this.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    We can start by making sure that officials in NC get to the bottom of this, hopefully clearing Harris - though that's not so certain now with the new revelations - and holding another election so that the people of the NC 9th can get some representation in Congress. The election board should also make sure that McCrae Dowless never gets near an election again and stand to answer for his shenanigans in prior elections. This isn't the first time he's done this.

Yeah, there should be strong punishment for anyone convicted of ballot manipulation. Duh.

But what about people who don't get caught? Why do you want to give them as much legal authority as possible over our checkbooks and our civil rights?

Every position you've taken on insidehoops favors BIG GOVERNMENT from what I've seen.

Why do you want to give people so much power when you know corruption is endemic in such scenarios?

Is it because you think it's a socially hip position to take? Do you think it's intellectually trendy?

Are those your concerns?

I'm legit curious.

Yeah, there should be strong punishment for anyone convicted of ballot manipulation. Duh.

But what about people who don't get caught? Why do you want to give them as much legal authority as possible over our checkbooks and our civil rights?
    Yeah, I'm really surprised that the administration, and especially the President, has had little to say about this given their strong push to investigate and expose voter and election fraud. They started a commission and everything with Kris Kobach taking the lead. It fizzled out, but you'd think they'd at least make a token statement or have Trump express his dismay. The radio silence from those who used to be extremely, extremely concerned about election and voter fraud is kinda wierd. I don't know... maybe it suddenly stopped being important to them.

We should certainly take great pains to make sure our election system stays clean. It's why we should take a hard look at the payments to Stormy Daniels and Karen McDougal, and any other sketchy campaign finance shenanigans that are uncovered. The constitution certainly gives these guys and gals a lot of power. They should pay for any wrongdoing and we should beef up our protocols in order to better catch others that try to slip through the cracks. We've done an OK job catching Manafort, Gates, Cohen, Stone, Flynn, Butina, Erikson... but I think we can do better.

NBA Legend

Yeah, I'm really surprised that the administration, and especially the President, has had little to say about this given their strong push to investigate and expose voter and election fraud. They started a commission and everything with Kris Kobach taking the lead. It fizzled out, but you'd think they'd at least make a token statement or have Trump express his dismay. The radio silence from those who used to be extremely, extremely concerned about election and voter fraud is kinda wierd. I don't know... maybe it suddenly stopped being important to them.

We should certainly take great pains to make sure our election system stays clean. It's why we should take a hard look at the payments to Stormy Daniels and Karen McDougal, and any other sketchy campaign finance shenanigans that are uncovered. The constitution certainly gives these guys and gals a lot of power. They should pay for any wrongdoing and we should beef up our protocols in order to better catch others that try to slip through the cracks. We've done an OK job catching Manafort, Gates, Cohen, Stone, Flynn, Butina, Erikson... but I think we can do better.

What does this have to do with Trump....? Are you a robot on a loop?

"All I Know Is I Hate Trump!!!!!!!" rhetoric might impress people in the cornball echo chamber. It's a means of signaling to others you belong. It's an LCD level acceptance mechanism. Any idiot can bleet about how much they hate Trump, therefore it's an easy acceptance standard for the majority to meet.

But here, where not everyone mindlessly repeats dogmatic mainstream talking points, it makes you look LESS intelligent.

Just a heads up.

Oldish news, but Mark Harris won't be running again for the NC 9th. He has cited health issues (he had 2 strokes back in January) and the need for ongoing medical care as the reason. It seems like Republicans in the state as well as nationally have distanced themselves from him and from the scandal which makes the decision an obvious one. Dan McCready expects to be run for the seat again.

Dowless was of course was indicted and charged with three counts of felony obstruction of justice, two counts of conspiracy to commit felony obstruction of justice and two counts of possession of an absentee ballot. Unfortunately for him, I suspect more charges are coming.

Apparently a Grand Jury returned sealed indictments for multiple people... I'm guessing those who worked with him are finding themselves in a fair bit of legal trouble as well.

What does this have to do with Trump....? Are you a robot on a loop?
    Trump has expressed serious concern about voter and election fraud, and he even created a now defunct Election Integrity Commission to look into voter fraud given his belief that it is rampant. Unfortunately, we've heard hardly a peep from him in regards to the NC 9th and the election fraud that took place there. One would think that he'd be all over it but all he issued in response was a pretty banal "I condemn all election fraud" before complaining about California for a few minutes. In fact, hardly any Conservatives who have proclaimed their interest in shoring up our electoral system and voting protocols want to talk about NC. It's weird to see Conservatives shy away from discussions about election fraud all of a sudden; they were so loquatious a few months ago. Maybe we'll hear from them again soon? Who knows?

Oldish news, but Mark Harris won't be running again for the NC 9th. He has cited health issues (he had 2 strokes back in January) and the need for ongoing medical care as the reason. It seems like Republicans in the state as well as nationally have distanced themselves from him and from the scandal which makes the decision an obvious one. Dan McCready expects to be run for the seat again.

Dowless was of course was indicted and charged with three counts of felony obstruction of justice, two counts of conspiracy to commit felony obstruction of justice and two counts of possession of an absentee ballot. Unfortunately for him, I suspect more charges are coming.

Apparently a Grand Jury returned sealed indictments for multiple people... I'm guessing those who worked with him are finding themselves in a fair bit of legal trouble as well.
    That's a complete mess.

I have a feeling that if you are a Republican running in re-election, you may get whiplash from the public for what Mark Harris did. The public will vote against you out of anger. You may not want to run as a Republican there while it's fresh on people's minds.
    Last edited by bladefd; 03-05-2019 at 08:09 PM.

So glad Harris won't be in congress.

Trump has expressed serious concern about voter and election fraud, and he even created a now defunct Election Integrity Commission to look into voter fraud given his belief that it is rampant.
    and then every Dem state refused to participate. You fail to mention that little detail.

[QUOTE]North Carolina GOP Chairman Indicted on Bribery Charges

A federal grand jury indicted the chairman of the North Carolina Republican Party and three others on bribery charges Tuesday, law enforcement officials announced.

Robin Hayes, the state GOP chair, and Greg Lindberg, a businessman and wealthy donor, are accused, along with two others, of engaging in a scheme to bribe North Carolina state Insurance Commissioner Mike Causey. Causey has not been charged.

The indictment, unsealed Tuesday, alleges that Lindberg, Hayes and two Lindberg associates, John Gray and John Palermo, sought to use independent expenditure accounts and improper campaign contributions to bribe Causey to make official decisions favorable to Lindberg

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    and then every Dem state refused to participate. You fail to mention that little detail.
    I missed this... So sorry I didn't take the opportunity to shut this down earlier. It wasn't just Dem states, Six.

[QUOTE]John Merrill, the Republican secretary of state for Alabama, had denied the commission access to the state

The NC GOP has really been on a role of late: the gerrymandering case, the election fraud scandal, and now bribery charges against the chairman of the NC Republican Party.
    But were they in blackface though?

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    But were they in blackface though?
    Lol, true... I guess I can see how blackface is worse than intentionally disenfranchising voters... including black voters.

Good strategery there.

The NC GOP has really been on a role of late: the gerrymandering case, the election fraud scandal, and now bribery charges against the chairman of the NC Republican Party.

Sad thing is there was as much if not more corruption when the Dems controlled the general assembly. The Governor got disbarred and the speaker of the house went to prison. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    Sad thing is there was as much if not more corruption when the Dems controlled the general assembly. The Governor got disbarred and the speaker of the house went to prison. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
    They need to clean house down there. But hey, it could be worse, right... officials could have worn blackface.