Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Decent playground baller coolhandsteve's Avatar

Default Proposed Scottie Pippen-Shawn Kemp trade back in 1995

How much would the complexion of the Bulls and the Sonics changed had these 2 franchises actually gone through with this trade in the '94-'95 season?

Thoughts?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Default Re: Proposed Scottie Pippen-Shawn Kemp trade back in 1995

Both teams get worse.

Bulls were WAY better off with a defensive play making SF and having Rodman at PF than Kemp plus whoever they get to fill in at SF (it may have just been Kukoc starting).

For the Sonics, having a PF that can do pick-n-rolls generally works better with high quality PGs like Payton than all-star SFs even though Pippen was a better overall player.

NBA Superstar

Would have been very interesting. Scottie really seemed to have no qualms about wanting out of Chicago at that time.

Recently, I was watching an interview with him during All-Star Saturday that season, when there were rumors of him being sent to Phoenix, and he didn't really seem to dance around anything. He more or less said his wish was to be dealt and he was hoping it'd take place. His blunt nature was something for which I was not very accustomed for impromptu interviews of that nature. I'll look to see if I can find it.

Complete Player

Imagine Pippen and Payton on the same team. That's a defensive nightmare for opposing teams lol.

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanyr2k
    Imagine Pippen and Payton on the same team. That's a defensive nightmare for opposing teams lol.

Teams wouldn't even be able to get the ball across half court.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    Both teams get worse.

Bulls were WAY better off with a defensive play making SF and having Rodman at PF than Kemp plus whoever they get to fill in at SF (it may have just been Kukoc starting).

For the Sonics, having a PF that can do pick-n-rolls generally works better with high quality PGs like Payton than all-star SFs even though Pippen was a better overall player.
    I honestly don't know if the Bulls get worse.

Kukoc was really good and doesn't get the credit he deserves.

You're looking at:

Harper
    MJ
    Kukoc
    Rodman
    Kemp

Kukoc was a very good playmaker as well and could have taken a much larger role in the offense. The defense would suffer for the most part, but the team would be more balanced offensively.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    Both teams get worse.

Both teams are worse. But I don't see any reason why the Bulls don't win the next 3 championships and the Sonics don't still make the finals the next year.

Complete Player

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    I honestly don't know if the Bulls get worse.

Kukoc was really good and doesn't get the credit he deserves.

You're looking at:

Harper
    MJ
    Kukoc
    Rodman
    Kemp

Kukoc was a very good playmaker as well and could have taken a much larger role in the offense. The defense would suffer for the most part, but the team would be more balanced offensively.

The Bulls probably don't even get Rodman if the Kemp/Pippen trade went through. They got Rodman in the offseason to specifically fill that PF spot which wouldn't be needed if Kemp were there. The starting lineup would probably be....

Harper
    Jordan
    Kukoc
    Kemp
    Longley

3-time NBA All-Star

The Bulls probably don't even get Rodman if the Kemp/Pippen trade went through. They got Rodman in the offseason to specifically fill that PF spot which wouldn't be needed if Kemp were there. The starting lineup would probably be....

Harper
    Jordan
    Kukoc
    Kemp
    Longley
    They also got Rodman for pretty much nothing (Will Perdue.) I could see them still do the deal because of that.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

You figure Chi is the bigger loser in this trade because of the second 3-peat. Kemp had more All-Star years left in him but the way drugs made him decline prematurely would hurt a franchise whereas although they sucked after they sent Pippen to Houston Chi wasn't hurt by the years Pippen was being overpaid.

And it wasn't with Jordan, and Harper?

Imagine a '96 Olympics team of GP, Jordan, and Pippen on the perimeter defending for Team USA ...

So y'all think Michael still comes back even if the trade goes down?

Complete Player

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH

Imagine a '96 Olympics team of GP, Jordan, and Pippen on the perimeter defending for Team USA ...
    You just reminded me of the time when the '96 Dream Team showed up flat and unmotivated in one of their exhibitions and got their asses kicked in the first half by a college team (which included future stars Tim Duncan, Chauncey Billups, and Paul Pierce). They were down by like 20 points at the half. Lenny Wilkins benched his starters and turned Pippen and Payton loose on them in the 2nd half and that was all she wrote

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by coolhandsteve
    So y'all think Michael still comes back even if the trade goes down?
    Thats an interesting question to ask. Not sure, but I would think so. He had the itch to comeback and play. Same thing happened years later and he played for the shitty Wizards. I don't think that changes with Pippen gone.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH

Good nite...not to mention if you get past them you've got the likes of Olajuwon, O'Neal & Robinson to deal with down low.