Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Give me your definition of greatness and your GOAT

What do you use as proof of a GOAT?

Default Re: Give me your definition of greatness and your GOAT

Empty stats and running away and colluding every single time things get too hard tbh

Also, cake walking to the finals in an easy conference and getting destroyed most of the time in the actual Finals.

Finally, heading out West to a real conference - to improve my post basketball career endeavors - and not even making the playoffs in the process.

CHEK MA STATZ

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

At least

4 MVPs
    7 conference championships
    3 Rings
    3 FMVPs

If you can't meet this criteria then your not the GOAT

Any ruminant and hollow-horned mammal belonging to the genus Capra. Related to the sheep, the goat is lighter of build, has horns that arch backward, a short tail, and straighter hair.

The following traits pretty much define the greatest ever: results, production, talent, dominance, leadership, adaptability, versatility, etc.

Not every great player is the best at every trait, so I will define them:

Results: the greatest player should be contending and winning championships. He should have an impeccable or unimpeachable body of work.
    Bill Russell, Magic Johnson

Production: the greatest ever should be breaking records left and right - scoring, rebounding, passing, blocks and steals, anything tangible.
    Wilt Chamberlain

Talent: the greatest ever should be the most talented player in the league from day 1, whether they're skilled enough.
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, David Robinson, LeBron James

Dominance: the greatest ever should be so dominant they force opposing coaches to develop a special type of defense or force the league to change rules to level the playing field for others.
    Chamberlain, Michael Jordan, Steph Curry

Leadership: the greatest ever should be inspiring other guys on the team to play above their expectations, translate his confidence into production.
    Tim Duncan

Adaptability: the greatest ever should be able to change their game to adapt to the times or to their changing level of athleticism, and still be great.
    Jordan, Duncan

Versatility: the greatest ever should be good at everything - offense, defense, intangibles, etc.
    Oscar Robertson, James, Johnson, Larry Bird

Bottom Line: Whoever you determine as the GOAT depends on what trait you privilege as the most important.

Lebron is my GOAT because he sets the bar improbably high. Someone who is so far above everyone else that competition becomes meaningless. One who is essentially a divine arbiter of basketball. A judge, jury and executioner. He can choose not only his teammates, but his coach, his GM, his PoBO, his opponent, his opponent's coach, and his commissioner. He makes the rules as well as controls the outcomes of not just his game but all other games. Basketball is supposed to be entertainment disguised as competition where we all pretend really hard that winning means something. But unlike all the other automatons before him, Lebron's self-aware and thus transcends this fairy tale and breaks the fourth wall.

9x All Defensive 1st And1AllDay's Avatar

Points are good

Not a bad top 5 rank based on points alone

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    Lebron is my GOAT because he sets the bar improbably high. Someone who is so far above everyone else that competition becomes meaningless. One who is essentially a divine arbiter of basketball. A judge, jury and executioner. He can choose not only his teammates, but his coach, his GM, his PoBO, his opponent, his opponent's coach, and his commissioner. He makes the rules as well as controls the outcomes of not just his game but all other games. Basketball is supposed to be entertainment disguised as competition where we all pretend really hard that winning means something. But unlike all the other automatons before him, Lebron's self-aware and thus transcends this fairy tale and breaks the fourth wall.
    Everything you mentioned makes Lebron the world's biggest bitch, not basketball player

The goat is the player that who dominated the most while also winning the most of his era

The bulls needed scoring champion production from their #1 option to win.. only MJ was could provide that - only MJ was scoring champ and champion in the same year (6 times).

edit: kareem and shaq did it once each in their peak seasons of 71' and 00'.. so their peak burden was mj's standard burden to win a ring

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    Competition so meaningless that he can't even beat them when it matters, and also hands the FMVP directly to his own opponenet every time.

You really are a special kind of stupid hahahahah

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Kobe.

Fkari, there they was

9x All Defensive 1st And1AllDay's Avatar

Just imagine it. Scoring more points then a guy who has 10 scoring titles

If thats not the ultimate alpha move well damn what is then

6 time finals loser takes you out of the GOAT conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by And1AllDay
    Just imagine it. Scoring more points then a guy who has 10 scoring titles

If thats not the ultimate alpha move well damn what is then

PPG?

Quote Originally Posted by superduper
    PPG?
    That would be too logical for a Bron stan

We don't factor in winning %s when they matter either.

LeExposed