Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    "The Residential Pit" franchize's Avatar

Default Re: NY Knicks Duo isnt that SUPER

I dont get why ppl pay attention to these "teams" anyway.Jason Kidd is like a 9 time all defensive team player n I dont think he is a good defender at all.

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by franchize
    I dont get why ppl pay attention to these "teams" anyway.Jason Kidd is like a 9 time all defensive team player n I dont think he is a good defender at all.
    He's one of the all-time leaders in steals.

I think 3rd, but may have hit number 2.

Quote Originally Posted by knickscity

Amare is one of the league leaders in blocks but he is still a poor defender.

I am just saying that stats aren't everything,especially on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch
    Amare is one of the league leaders in blocks but he is still a poor defender.

I am just saying that stats aren't everything,especially on defense.
    True but if you excel in those areas AND you're team is good, there is good chance you'd make that team.

Kidd is a good defender, but being up ther in steals all-time has alot of weight.

Kinda like Ben Wallace being All-NBA and can shoot for shit.

Because of his rebounding and blocks, like Mutumbo did.

NBA rookie of the year

Jason Kidd's a good defender. He did a great job on Kobe just a couple of weeks ago.

Krust Kingz

[COLOR="Navy"]Defense isnt really stat driven for ex look Bruce Bowen he was a very good defender but his stats dont reflect it.[/COLOR]

lets just put it at the knicks team as a whole did not play defense and it reflects on the superstars

once the knicks get 2 defensive players to fill around stat and melo, that should mask any or all of their shortcomings and probably put them up into the top echelon

He's also high on the 3 pointers made list but he's not a good 3 point shooter. AI used to get a lot of steals too and nobody considers him a good defender.

NBA rookie of the year

People don't really consider Jason Kidd a good defender because of how many steals he's gotten though. His size, his strength, his anticipation, his great hands, etc. He doesn't have the footspeed, but he can D up bigger guys.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Hey guys, been a minute. How is everyone?

I actually dislike the article because it furthers the notion that "superstar status" is an on-court thing when it simply is not. Superstars are the guys that become household names on a non-sports level. Superstars are the guys that do not need to wear team uniforms or apparel in non-sports commercial in order to get recognized.

Kobe Bryant is a super star; not cause of his defensive effort, but because my co-worker; who only found out that NBC no longer shows NBA games in November, knows who he is the instant she sees him. LeBron James, is a super star because even in a sweater and collared shirt in the State Farm commercial my grandma is more liking to ask "did that LeBron guy really crash his car?" than she is "how many 'wolf plays' (chase down transition blocks/steals) did LeBron get the other night?"

With all that said, I do think both Carmelo Anthony and and Amar'e Stoudemire could become excellent two-way players with a more defensively demanding coach. Neither Carmelo or Amar'e has played for a guy that emphasizes the defensive end of the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King

I actually dislike the article because it furthers the notion that "superstar status" is an on-court thing when it simply is not. Superstars are the guys that become household names on a non-sports level. Superstars are the guys that do not need to wear team uniforms or apparel in non-sports commercial in order to get recognized.

Kobe Bryant is a super star; not cause of his defensive effort, but because my co-worker; who only found out that NBC no longer shows NBA games in November, knows who he is the instant she sees him. LeBron James, is a super star because even in a sweater and collared shirt in the State Farm commercial my grandma is more liking to ask "did that LeBron guy really crash his car?" than she is "how many 'wolf plays' (chase down transition blocks/steals) did LeBron get the other night?"

With all that said, I do think both Carmelo Anthony and and Amar'e Stoudemire could become excellent two-way players with a more defensively demanding coach. Neither Carmelo or Amar'e has played for a guy that emphasizes the defensive end of the floor.
    Well said, the only superstars are Kobe and Lebron. They have great marketability and you can ask a random guy or girl on the street who they are and they'll know the answer. Dwyane Wade and Dwight Howard are getting up there too, just not on the level of Mamba and Bronzy.

The rest are just stars. And yes, Amar'e and Melo are stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King

What's going on KO? It has been a minute for you.

I really can't say anything too much different as far as the super star title goes, when you put it like that.

That way makes it more exclusive, but most fans don't see it that way.

I fully agree Amar'e nor Melo has had a defensive system to work with in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
    Well said, the only superstars are Kobe and Lebron. They have great marketability and you can ask a random guy or girl on the street who they are and they'll know the answer. Dwyane Wade and Dwight Howard are getting up there too, just not on the level of Mamba and Bronzy.

The rest are just stars. And yes, Amar'e and Melo are stars.
    In terms of popularity only superstars are Kobe and LeBron.
    In my country basketball isn't popular like in the USA,many people know only about Kobe and LeBron.Some even don't know who LeBron is,but almost everyone heard about Kobe.

If I ask random guys on the street who Carmelo and Amare are, I don't think more than 5% would answer correctly.

is yao ming a s uperstar?

in that case u might as well take away the superstar tag and just call em celebrities

Yao is the 2nd most popular NBA player.I don't know if that makes him a superstar but celebrity...absolutely