Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: Is anyone really impressed by Wilt's 100 point game?

I am a little too cruel to you CavaliersFTW aint I

Quote Originally Posted by sbw19
    [COLOR=Teal]Out of curiosity what's the highest scoring game by an NBA player since Kobe's 81?
    [/COLOR]
    That would be Kobe again, 65 points (OT) vs the Blazers in 2007.

If your looking for another player besides Kobe, Gilbert Arenas did 60 points (OT) vs the Lakers in 2007 (Kobe had 45 points that same night, I believe...)

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    First of all, the '78 scoring title was at stake, second, scoring 52 by halftime meant that, in theory, he could go for Wilt's record, so it wouldn't make any sense to stop taking that many shots, especially since he was really hot - it wasn't like Gervin's night some hours later, when he jacked 49 shots in 33 minutes (yes, Gervin was en route to break Wilt's FGA in a game record).

The account I read disagrees with your take, too. I remember having read that the Pistons during halftime were furious that Thompson was making fools of themselves and decided to play the same type of defense the Knicks played on Wilt to stop him from getting to 100: Tripling and quadrupling him on every instance they could. It brought results, since Thompson only scored 6 in the 3rd quarter and the Pistons rallied back, eventually winning the game, despite Thompson getting hotter in the 4th.

EDIT: Obvious typo.

http://scottfowlerobs.blogspot.com/2...oint-game.html

That's the account i read...i assumed since he was reluctant, taking just 15 shots in the 2nd half (going 8 for 15, not exactly getting shut down), that he didn't care to keep the heat turned up....do yourself a favor, TAKE A PILL>

Here's the exert you're talking about:

http://www.nba.com/history/features/...ace/index.html

While your accounts are correct about the loading up of the defense, i'd like to pull this exert out of the article:

Here's some food for thought: It has been speculated that had I had the benefit of today's three-point line, my total would have been in the high 80s.
    Last edited by bwink23; 03-02-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23
    http://scottfowlerobs.blogspot.com/2...oint-game.html

That's the account i read...i assumed since he was reluctant, taking just 15 shots in the 2nd half (going 8 for 15, not exactly getting shut down), that he didn't care to keep the heat turned up....do yourself a favor, TAKE A PILL>
    The only account talking about reluctance was from Larry Brown, talking about a "reluctant 73", not even a "reluctant second half". I wouldn't call 15 or 23 shots in a single half being anything like reluctant, except if we compare it to Gervin who took 49 shots in 33 minutes. He did score incredibly efficiently, but, unless you're hacked all the time and you shoot 50 FT's, "reluctant 73" is an oxymoron. Or, at best, it doesn't equate to "reluctant game".

Here's the exert you're talking about:

http://www.nba.com/history/features/...ace/index.html
    See, it's kind of hard to not to be "reluctant" if almost the whole team decides to focus its defense on you.

While your accounts are correct about the loading up of the defense, i'd like to pull this exert out of the article:

Here's some food for thought: It has been speculated that had I had the benefit of today's three-point line, my total would have been in the high 80s.
    High 80's? Had an analogous claim belonged to Wilt, you wouldn't have put it here as evidence, but as something to laugh at.
    Sorry, but no. You don't get extra points by shooting from 15-18 feet, which was Thompson's favorite range when he wasn't driving to the hoop. He even claims himself that most of his shots were this kind of mid-range jumpers.
    How exactly would he get to the "high 80's"? Would like 15 of his FGM's be 3-pointers? Would he be less "reluctant" and start shooting from the 3-point land, apart from the 38 shots he already had taken? Thompson never made more than 10 3-pointers in a single season, just to give you some perspective, and there has been no evidence that this game was an exception as to the range of his FGA's.

The same type of "speculation" existed for Pete Maravich's 68-point game, that if 3-point shots existed, he'd have 80. In reality, if you watch the shots, only 1-2 of them would count as 3's and, if we are generous, we could assume that, had the 3-point line existed, he'd make 2-3 more 3-point range shots that he actually made from around 20-22 feet. Of course, Maravich was a much better long-range shooter than Thompson ever was, and it's still an incredible to stretch to assume an 80-pointer.

Great college starter

The only account talking about reluctance was from Larry Brown, talking about a "reluctant 73", not even a "reluctant second half". I wouldn't call 15 or 23 shots in a single half being anything like reluctant, except if we compare it to Gervin who took 49 shots in 33 minutes. He did score incredibly efficiently, but, unless you're hacked all the time and you shoot 50 FT's, "reluctant 73" is an oxymoron. Or, at best, it doesn't equate to "reluctant game".

See, it's kind of hard to not to be "reluctant" if almost the whole team decides to focus its defense on you.

High 80's? Had an analogous claim belonged to Wilt, you wouldn't have put it here as evidence, but as something to laugh at.
    Sorry, but no. You don't get extra points by shooting from 15-18 feet, which was Thompson's favorite range when he wasn't driving to the hoop. He even claims himself that most of his shots were this kind of mid-range jumpers.
    How exactly would he get to the "high 80's"? Would like 15 of his FGM's be 3-pointers? Would he be less "reluctant" and start shooting from the 3-point land, apart from the 38 shots he already had taken? Thompson never made more than 10 3-pointers in a single season, just to give you some perspective, and there has been no evidence that this game was an exception as to the range of his FGA's.

The same type of "speculation" existed for Pete Maravich's 68-point game, that if 3-point shots existed, he'd have 80. In reality, if you watch the shots, only 1-2 of them would count as 3's and, if we are generous, we could assume that, had the 3-point line existed, he'd make 2-3 more 3-point range shots that he actually made from around 20-22 feet. Of course, Maravich was a much better long-range shooter than Thompson ever was, and it's still an incredible to stretch to assume an 80-pointer.

You can speculate on that all day until your blue in the face, i don't care one way or the other. Maybe he would have had more points with on shots that might have been 3's, who knows?? Did you watch the game yourself??

You sound so butthurt about it, you a Kobe stan or a Wilt stan???

You can speculate on that all day until your blue in the face, i don't care one way or the other. Maybe he would have had more points with on shots that might have been 3's, who knows?? Did you watch the game yourself??

You sound so butthurt about it, you a Kobe stan or a Wilt stan???
    Between 2+ speculations, I'll take the one that makes more sense to me, and the one that magically transforms Thompson into a deadly 3-point shooter doesn't cut it. What if I speculated that if the 3-point existed, Wilt would make more than 100 points? Would this be good enough a speculation for you?

Yeah, I give so many craps that a Jordan stan rates Thompson's game over Wilt's. I'll definitely get no sleep tonight...Please.

Great college starter

Between 2+ speculations, I'll take the one that makes more sense to me, and the one that magically transforms Thompson into a deadly 3-point shooter doesn't cut it. What if I speculated that if the 3-point existed, Wilt would make more than 100 points? Would this be good enough a speculation for you?

Yeah, I give so many craps that a Jordan stan rates Thompson's game over Wilt's. I'll definitely get no sleep tonight...Please.

Who said i rated it over Wilt's??

3-time NBA All-Star

How about Chamberlain's 55 rebounds in one game? Oh, and BTW, it came against Bill Russell, and in that game, he only outrebounded Russell by a 55-19 margin (while outscoring him, 34-18.)

Of course, Wilt "wilted" in the post-season, and could only grab a high of 41 rebounds in a playoff game. Oh, and BTW, it came against Russell. Incidently, in that game, there were a TOTAL of 134 available rebounds (Chamberlain had 30% of them.) In addition, Chamberlain had Finals games of 38 rebounds against both Russell and Nate Thurmond. Or that Wilt averaged 32 rpg in the '67 ECF's, and against Russell (who averaged 23.4 rpg in that series.)

And thanks to PHILA, we now know that Wilt had TWO games in which he shot 18-18 from the floor (to go along with games of 15-15 and 16-16), and that, at one point in the '67 season, Chamberlain made 35 straight shots.

In Wilt's 100 point game, he also made 28-32 from the stripe.

And, thanks to CavsFan, we also know that Wilt had TWO DOUBLE-TRIPLE-DOUBLE games. In the well known one, Wilt scored 22 points, snagged 25 rebounds, and had 21 assists. CavsFan also found a game (against HOFer Walt Bellamy no less) in which Wilt scored 34 points, yanked down 33 rebounds, and had 20 blocks.

In Wilt's LAST 60+ point game, he hit 29 of his 35 FGAs, or .829 from the floor, which is the most efficient 60+ point game of all-time.

Chamberlain had a 24-32-13-12 QUAD-DOUBLE (on 8-13 shooting) in the playoffs, and against Russell. He had a 29-36-13-7 game clinching game in the '67 ECF's, and again, against Russell.

And how about his TRIPLE-DOUBLE game in the '68 season, in which he scored 53 points (on 24-29 shooting), with 32 rebounds, and dished out 14 assists? Or a DOUBLE-DOUBLE game of 78 points and 43 rebounds. Or his DOUBLE-DOUBLE game against Bellamy, in which Chamberlain scored 73 points, and pulled down 36 rebounds?

Or his nationally televised game in '68 in which he blocked a RECORDED 23 shots? Or his TRIPLE-DOUBLE playoff game against the Royals, in which he hung a 16-30-19 game (and those 19 assists tied a playoff record at the time)?

Or his 30-31 seven game playoff series, against Russell, in the '65 ECF's? Or his 22-32-10 playoff series, again against Russell, in the '67 ECF's?

Or Wilt "the choker" having THREE (of his four) 50+ point playoff games, in "must-win" situations? Or averaging a 38.6 ppg, 23.0 rpg, and on .559 shooting in a playoff series? Or putting up a 23.2 ppg, 24.1 rpg, .625 seven game Finals series?

Just some food for thought...

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    I would like to sponsor an NBA game composed of "short, white players" vs Kobe and the Lakers. just an interesting experiment to see if Kobe could also put up 100.
    Last Wednesday as in 3 days ago:
    Timberwolves 85
    Lakers 104

Kobe's entire TEAM is 2 to 4 inches taller than the short, white Timberwolves team, except D Fisher..... plus the Lakers had 5 days off while it was the second game of a back2back for the Wolves, who didn't have their best player and were clearly out of gas. Should be easy as pie for Kobe to go 100.

And sure enough to me (a long-suffering Wolves fan since before KG was there) Kobe did scorch the Wolves: 11-23 fg 0-4 3pt 9-10 ft for 31 points

Of course, over half the Wolves team is un-short and un-white so that's not really fair, right? But let's see.....

Then again, for that old '62 Knicks team to meet your requirement of "short, white players", we have to get rid of:
    Sam Stith,
    Phil Jordan,
    Willie Naulls,
    Johnnie Green, &
    Cleveland Buckner
    because all those guys were un-short and un-white.

Next, we have to bench
    Darryl Imhoff, 6'10" {un-short}
    Bill Smith 6'5" {too un-short to be a guard, because the Warriors guards were only 6'0"}
    Richie Guerin 6'4" {too un-short to be a guard, because the Warriors guards were only 6'0"}

So really, all the accounts of the Knicks triple, quadruple and quintuple teaming Wilt to keep him from scoring in the 4th quarter - those must just be lies. Right?

Because how do we explain your fact of "short, white players" when clearly the Knicks only had like 5 "short, white players" in the game - all of them bench-warmers?

They can't all guard Wilt and still foul the other Warriors to keep Wilt from getting the ball, that's impossible.

So, not bad... in our little interesting experiment Kobe only has 69 points to go.......

but now I just don't get it anymore. Because when Kobe scored 81 on the Raptors, that team only had 3 guys that were "short, white players."

Now I see why ISH got rid of neg. Because I'd have a line of red boxes stretching clear to the moon... due to my persistence of telling the truth about old-school basketball.

Have a great day though

And thanks to PHILA, we now know that Wilt had TWO games in which he shot 18-18 from the floor (to go along with games of 15-15 and 16-16), and that, at one point in the '67 season, Chamberlain made 35 straight shots.
    2 games? The known one is the 67th game of the '67 season. Which was the second? I do know of that 1964 game when he scored 38 points on 18-19 FG's in only 3 quarters. He had missed his first shot, then made his next 18. Maybe that's the one you're talking about.

3-time NBA All-Star

2 games? The known one is the 67th game of the '67 season. Which was the second? I do know of that 1964 game when he scored 38 points on 18-19 FG's in only 3 quarters. He had missed his first shot, then made his next 18. Maybe that's the one you're talking about.
    Hmmm... I will have to pull up that article again, but I swore that it said he duplicated his 18-18 game in '67 with one in '64. Maybe you are right, and it was 18 straight. In the meantime, maybe PHILA can repost...

3-time NBA All-Star

BTW, if I am indeed wrong, the "Lauber-bashers" will jump all over me for "embellishing" Wilt's resume.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue

3-time NBA All-Star

I know that PHILA posted this same article here before, and maybe I am misunderstanding it, but here it is...

http://forums.*********.com/forums/i...topic=67313.15

"Wilt Chamberlain TIED a single game record by making all 18 of his field-goal attempts as he scored 42 points and led the Philadelphia 76ers past Baltimore 149-118 in a National Basketball Association game.

Chamberlain, who TIED his own mark set in the 1963-64 season, also moved within one of his record 32 straight field goals set earlier this season. His present string was started against Cincinnati Feb. 17 and also covers the St. Louis game Feb. 19."
    Last edited by jlauber; 03-04-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Banned

no put kaj in 60's he would have at least three