Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1017181920
    Banned

Default Re: Rose acted like he plays for the opposite team when Deng tipped it in

Quote Originally Posted by Inactive
    The bible is filled with factual inaccuracies. It's hardly a reliable source for historical, or scientific information. Not to mention all the contradictions, and inconsistencies between different copies, translations, etc.

If Mesopotamians were black, where did all of these Arabs come from? Why are the people around the Mediterranean caucasian? Where did all of the black people go? If the Hebrews were black, where did all these Jews come from?
    x2.

Rip+Rose=Ripping Rose Clocian-IGN's Avatar

Default Re: Rose acted like he plays for the opposite team when Deng tipped it in

Quote Originally Posted by RazorBaLade
    Sry I kind of assumed a bunch of things to write that so these are what they are

When you said "they" say to not read old testament in church, I assumed
    - They want you to read the new testament in church
    - "They" are christian or catholic

And thus, those are the same people that also pick and choose parts of the bible to follow and thus cannot be trusted for factual unbiased information.
    Correct they want you to read the greek new testament, not the real bible which is the old testament. The old testament has a lot of things that could be linked to todays world. I already touched on genesis, the exodus clearly shows what's happening today with pharoah(the european in control) and the israelis(the blacks).

I was talking about the preachers who "teach" to the people. they are no different than the teachers in public schools. Just simply talking about what's in the bible w/o telling how that relates to peoples lives. That noise goes in one ear and out the other. That's why you see so many "christians" do things opposite of what "jesus" would do.

Hosea 4:6

"My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children"

I usually hit open layups emaugust's Avatar

My feeling on this thread...

TheBluest
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

RazorBaLade
    There's just a lot of errors and contradictions in it.. Stuff like four corners of the earth, blindness and deafness is caused by demons, the fossil work of the devil stuff..... I dunno. Stuff like earth is created in 7 days shouldn't be taken literally because days could imply someone elses days, but you shouldn't take the demons and stuff seriously? How can I take other sentences from the same book seriously?

I just look at the bible as written events by people of exaggerated tales and supersititions passed on by word of mouth for generations. Some of it is true but a lot isn't, and so I can't look at one part and assume its true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clocian-IGN
    sounds like you dont understand how to read it which is perfectly fine. It's true the bible is corrupted like you said but it does have truth in it. Nobody could read the original hebrew bible(the Tanakh) because the language changed over the years. So when you have King James and his translators things are bound to be inaccurate. The new testament especially should be read carefully as that is greek thought and NOT part of the true bible. There's a reason they tell people not to read the old testament in church.

From all the findings of old-original writings of the bible, there is accuracy in a translation process from the original Hebrew and Greek language. The only discrepancies are the rules used in word/sentence structures and article application to words/letters which could play a factor in misinterpreting a scripture or 2 or shaping belief. But if done correctly and there are such translations out there(not version which is a huge difference) proving absolute harmony in the bible.

The problem lies more so in us wanting to discredit it's message and passages in favor of something more to our liking/comfort zone which lessons accountability.

We don't want a so-called intangible book of rules and regulations controlling our lives but hey it's okay for advertisers to tell us how to spend our money or for some social movement to go out and vote so some man can tell you the best way to live the American dream.....POT MEET KETTLE

I've always said where we live it's CONSTITUTION>>>>>>>>>BIBLE both written documents one more in depth than the other

Just because the bible doesn't explain what happened to dinosaurs doesn't mean we should write the book off

Just because incest was allowed at a particular time in human history doesn't mean we should write the book off

Just because the bible doesn't clearly define where all the different races came from doesn't mean we should write the book off

This discussion at this stage of the thread reminds me of when the Isrealites were led out of Egypt by Moses heading towards a promise land but because the journey was taking such a long time being without comfort while Moses went off to Mount Sinai for a long period of time to receive instruction from God on how they should live their lives going forward.....there was a contingency of Jews who decided to murmur and question the spiritual direction they were embarking on. Instead in their murmuring they resorted to their own standard of guidance and worship erecting a calf made of the gold possessions they had pressuring Aaron for dedication of it. Well we know how that turned out don't we?

You know in the Greek Scriptures when Paul delivered his message to the Gentiles there was a creed of people who received what he had to say but didn't take his message at face value. They were referred to as the Boreans spoken of as a noble mind of people because...

THEY DECIDED TO TAKE WHAT HE SAID AND EXAMINE IT FOR THEIR OWN SELVES ON A DAILY BASIS PRAYING FOR UNDERSTANDING

^^^^^^^

Maybe this is what we should do a better job of instead of always trying to find or seek out holes in the holy writings. I mean let's be reality it's the most widely published book of all times, nothing will ever surpass it and to be quite frank from a principle foundation on which to base one's life and direction on there's nothing better to be guided by.....

I mean Steve Harvey is cool on the relationship tip advice an all but there's no comparison

I mean Bill Simmons is a great writer can put you in a great state of mind for basketball but there is no comparison

I mean Charles Dickens wrote some masterpieces some with historical significance but there is no comparison

The most interesting point in refuting the bible as a means of truth is that no one has any real clear concrete evidence to show the Bible isn't a credible book.
    Last edited by TheBluest; 03-25-2012 at 09:54 PM.

^ you can't live on lies, that's why the world is slowly falling apart and why it's important to seek out the truth.

The bible is good and all but it's only a scripture, which means it's only a part of god's knowledge. You can't put his knowledge into a single book, it's impossible. Which is why we should read more than the bible to gain our own understanding. The Quran is direct from god himself so that should be "THE" book to read. The new testament even though is greek writing has some truth in it as well. Even then there's more out to research out there.

Banned

Correct they want you to read the greek new testament, not the real bible which is the old testament. The old testament has a lot of things that could be linked to todays world. I already touched on genesis, the exodus clearly shows what's happening today with pharoah(the european in control) and the israelis(the blacks).

I was talking about the preachers who "teach" to the people. they are no different than the teachers in public schools. Just simply talking about what's in the bible w/o telling how that relates to peoples lives. That noise goes in one ear and out the other. That's why you see so many "christians" do things opposite of what "jesus" would do.

Hosea 4:6

"My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children"
    Oh. word. preachers suck. I'm sure ultimately some parts of the bible are true and all but I mean something totally legit to see would be nice. I don't even know what exists really besides wiki for 100% sourced information. I'm not going to trust a book that says earth was thousands of years old and all of humanity came from adam and eve that ate from a forbidden tree. It might be alliteration but its unfair for me to dismiss that part as exaggeration or a story but take something else as 100% fact and face value.

Bluest-
    "Just because the bible doesn't explain what happened to dinosaurs doesn't mean we should write the book off

Just because incest was allowed at a particular time in human history doesn't mean we should write the book off

Just because the bible doesn't clearly define where all the different races came from doesn't mean we should write the book off"

At that point its not a book of rules though/ People thought the stuff in the bible was completely infallible at one point, now they pick and choose. What if later on we prove everything is wrong?

How can I trust a books factual information if it tells me that 2 of most species in the world fit onto a ship that scientifically is not large enough to hold them? It'd be like saying hey, just because you can't do basic multiplication or addition doesn't mean your answer to long division is wrong! Sure , maybe, but its more likely that you cannot trust things like that.

Doesn't the bible say dinosaurs existed at the same time with humans adn the earth is 6000 years old? Why would you believe anything else they say ??
    Last edited by RazorBaLade; 03-25-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RazorBaLade
    Oh. word. preachers suck. I'm sure ultimately some parts of the bible are true and all but I mean something totally legit to see would be nice. I don't even know what exists really besides wiki for 100% sourced information. I'm not going to trust a book that says earth was thousands of years old and all of humanity came from adam and eve that ate from a forbidden tree. It might be alliteration but its unfair for me to dismiss that part as exaggeration or a story but take something else as 100% fact and face value.
    A lot of the bible is prophecy by prophets. It's not meant to tell of the history at the date these writings were written. It's meant for future purposes. Were the 1st humans adam and eve? No, but it does tell the story of a specific people. Did the exodus happen? No, we all know a man can't split the red sea , but the story of pharoah and the Israelis fits the description of todays world the prophets were trying to tell us.

Local High School Star Inactive's Avatar

A lot of the bible is prophecy by prophets. It's not meant to tell of the history at the date these writings were written. It's meant for future purposes. Were the 1st humans adam and eve? No, but it does tell the story of a specific people. Did the exodus happen? No, we all know a man can't split the red sea ,
    If a book is filled with factual inaccuracies, and internal inconsistencies (which is indisputable, and anyone who looks can find HUNDREDS of examples), it loses much, if not all of it's credibility as a historical text. Was the Illiad based on a real war? Almost certainly. But it's filled with unrealistic junk, and supernatural phenomenon. Why would we think that any detail of it is any more credible than the obvious fictional elements? How is the bible any different?

Before you can take anything seriously, from a text that's as incredible as the bible, you need a secondary source to corroborate it.

but the story of pharoah and the Israelis fits the description of todays world the prophets were trying to tell us.
    If you choose to interpret it that way. There are many stories, from many cultures, which can be interpreted as prophecy. It all comes down to the individual, and his desire to make it fit.

Can a mod please lock this thread up? I dont think there was ever a Basketball discussion going on here.

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended
    SAVED. Gotta use this for future use...

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended
    lolol

wtf happened to this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    Rose is an autistic, socially-anxious retard. He thought that was the proper reaction. That, or he forgot the score and couldn't remember what team he played for.
    Did Derrick Rose make you mad?

@ this entire thread