Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Rumor: Zach Randolph to Memphis for Darko Milicic and M.Jaric is up to Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    Walsh should keep Randolph according to his logic
    The roster is maxed doubt this trade happens unless Walsh has another potential deal
    Players like Marbury, James, Rose or Roberson could be waived very easily.

Default Re: Rumor: Zach Randolph to Memphis for Darko Milicic and M.Jaric is up to Walsh

How much are the Knicks willing to pay tho? Because Memphis could end up getting Z-Bo (under contract for 2 years no?) at a salary that many would say he is worth. Z-Bo gets slammed for things on the court (lack of D, not much of a passer/black hole) but much of that is due to his contract. Its insane how much he will be earning. You figure if some of that and a good portion is shaved off? Memphis gets a double double low post guy for cheap. The whole "OMG why trade Pau?" because no one was gonna just pay Pau's contract. You figure if NYK pay a good portion then Z-Bo would be costing less on the payroll as opposed to what Gasol would have. And face it, you didnt win with Gasol last season so what are you losing?

My problem is the NYK paying loot on Z-Bo deal. I just dont like franchises who have dead money tied up on the payroll. Shyts lame but eh anything to get rid of Z-Bo i guess.

I just dont see the positives for NYK unless getting rid of Z-bo is the ultimate posititve (was he that bad for the team?). Cant call it, dont keep tabs on the inner dealings of the Knicks via media/articles.

If the Knicks do take back a portion of Zach's salary? Would it still count against the cap?

It's interesting to see the possible line-up the Grizz could have had.

GAY-LOVE ERA
    Conley / Lowry
    Miller / Crittenton
    Gay / Warrick / Cardinal
    Love / Arthur / Collins
    Gasol / Darko / Haddadi

GAY-MAYO-ADRIANA LIMA ERA
    Conley / Lowry
    Mayo / Crittenton / Jaric
    Gay / Buchner
    Warrick / Arthur / Walker
    Gasol / Darko / Haddadi

GAY-MAYO-RANDOLPH ERA
    Conley / Lowry
    Mayo / Crittenton / Buchner
    Gay / Warrick
    Randolph / Arthur / Walker
    Gasol / Haddadi

GAY-MAYO-PAU ERA
    Conley / Lowry
    Mayo / Buchner / Jaric
    Gay / Warrick
    P.Gasol / Walker
    Darko / Haddadi

GAY-MAYO-PAU-RANDOLPH ERA
    Conley / Lowry
    Mayo / Buchner
    Gay / Warrick
    Randolph / Walker
    P.Gasol / Haddadi

GAY-LOVE-PAU ERA
    Conley / Lowry
    Miller /
    Gay / Warrick / Cardinal
    Love / Collins
    P.Gasol / Darko / Haddadi

Which line-up is best??

Decisions, decisions........

Quote Originally Posted by gasolina
    If the Knicks do take back a portion of Zach's salary? Would it still count against the cap?
    Yes.

New York probably wants a package of Walker and Darko for Randolph, since Walker is an expirer.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Yes.
    I've never hard of such a rule or scenario.. only the Knicks could get away with something like this.

I got the impression they would just expect cash from the Knicks (I think $3M is maximum allowed in a trade... maybe per year) but that it wouldn't count against the cap. Otherwise it defeats much of the reason the Knicks would do this deal.

Default Re: Deal With Grizzles Up To Knicks?

this would be interesting... Lee starting will not average 18 and 10 like randolph, as much as i hate to think this... w/o randolph knicks will be worse... good for my nets though

ILL WILL RUNS NYC WhySoInsecure?'s Avatar

Default Re: Deal With Grizzles Up To Knicks?

Quote Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
    this would be interesting... Lee starting will not average 18 and 10 like randolph, as much as i hate to think this... w/o randolph knicks will be worse... good for my nets though
    Basketball is not all about numbers, randolph is a mess, takes bad shots and doesn't really contribute to the team.

Give me 12/10 from lee on 55% shooting over randolph and his bull****.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckOakley
    I've never hard of such a rule or scenario.. only the Knicks could get away with something like this.

I got the impression they would just expect cash from the Knicks (I think $3M is maximum allowed in a trade... maybe per year) but that it wouldn't count against the cap. Otherwise it defeats much of the reason the Knicks would do this deal.
    Correct me if I'm wrong then. Because I dont see how it doesnt count agaisnt the cap. Like Sixers had Aaron Mckie money on the books and he wasnt apart of the team. Same with Chris Webber. How is it you can pay guys that arent apart of your franchise yet it be on the cap? Baseball it counts against the payroll (no salary cap however). Phillies still paying money on Jim Thome's deal. Lots of teams do the "agree to pay a portion" move.

There has to be a slap on the hand, consequence for another team agreeing to pay portion of a players guranteed contract or wouldnt other teams engage in this routine to save themselves from cap trouble?

The tradeoff is getting rid of Zach. They wanna get rid of him by any means. If a portion of his contract counts against the team? So be it. Its better than what he will count against them the next two years no? Its like whats the point of buying out a player if he still counts against your cap? Especially when he is due $40mil the next two years and the buyout is only $2mil (so you're paying $38mil for a guy not there). Why not keep him and force him to earn his damn checks?

Only deal i know of where it doesnt count is retiring due to a medical issue like Darius Miles. Dude is physically inable to perform yet holds a guanteed contract. He is owed that money but it doesnt get added to the payroll.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Correct me if I'm wrong then. Because I dont see how it doesnt count agaisnt the cap. Like Sixers had Aaron Mckie money on the books and he wasnt apart of the team. Same with Chris Webber. How is it you can pay guys that arent apart of your franchise yet it be on the cap? Baseball it counts against the payroll (no salary cap however). Phillies still paying money on Jim Thome's deal. Lots of teams do the "agree to pay a portion" move.

There has to be a slap on the hand, consequence for another team agreeing to pay portion of a players guranteed contract or wouldnt other teams engage in this routine to save themselves from cap trouble?

The tradeoff is getting rid of Zach. They wanna get rid of him by any means. If a portion of his contract counts against the team? So be it. Its better than what he will count against them the next two years no? Its like whats the point of buying out a player if he still counts against your cap? Especially when he is due $40mil the next two years and the buyout is only $2mil (so you're paying $38mil for a guy not there). Why not keep him and force him to earn his damn checks?

Only deal i know of where it doesnt count is retiring due to a medical issue like Darius Miles. Dude is physically inable to perform yet holds a guanteed contract. He is owed that money but it doesnt get added to the payroll.

GOBB empty your PM box. It's full.

McKie and Webber were waived or bought out correct? Thus they were still on the books.

As for buying out a $40M player for $2M.... sure the $20/M per year counts against the cap, but you only paid $2M to the player, saving yourself $38 million in actual dollars but not any cap space. The only reason a player generally accepts a buyout is if they feel they can make up the difference by signing with another team, or the difference between the buyout and the actual contract in negligible.

lol if the Grizz kept pau...

Like posters have been mentioning, the Grizz would be acquiring Randolph while getting rid of Jaric who has the same amount of years left and about half the salary. So essentially the Grizz are getting Randolph for about 8 million this year and considering he's a legit double-double, it's not that bad of a deal. Now chemistry issues are an issue, but player wise Knicks are losing out.

Personally I don't think it's that great of a deal and wouldn't care if it went either way. I think we should atleast try to build up his value, but I understand the point of getting rid of him as quickly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ALBballer
    Like posters have been mentioning, the Grizz would be acquiring Randolph while getting rid of Jaric who has the same amount of years left and about half the salary. So essentially the Grizz are getting Randolph for about 8 million this year and considering he's a legit double-double, it's not that bad of a deal. Now chemistry issues are an issue, but player wise Knicks are losing out.

Personally I don't think it's that great of a deal and wouldn't care if it went either way. I think we should atleast try to build up his value, but I understand the point of getting rid of him as quickly as possible.
    I have to say Z-Bo is really underrated, people on ISH treat him like garbage, they think he's a scrub. He's not an all-star but he's a solid NBA starter, a solid double double guy, those aren't easy to come by. I believe rebounding isn't something you can teach, Z-Bo has that naturally, unlike Curry who despite many coaches has never improved his rebounding one bit.