Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-01-2011, 07:02 AM   #91
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Kobe-Gasol era Laker's stats comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAVS41
I think Gasol was good, but not great in 2008. He really wasn't accustomed to playoff basketball and there is no shame in getting outplayed by KG in the Finals. Gasol did play Duncan very well in the WCF in 2008 though.

This year Gasol has been very good overall. I agree with some of your names, but Williams/Nash/Melo/Amare/Westbrook are all debatable. Gasol has a good case over every single one of those guys. No way I take Amare, Nash, or Wesbrook over Gasol.

I agree about Pau in '08. I think the experience helped him and he also got stronger in the offseason and had an excellent 2009 season, he really took his game to another level and was extremely consistent. He showed me a lot vs Howard in the finals.

I've watched Amare all year in New York and with the exception of recent games, I've been thrilled with what he's brought to the team. Pau started off the season playing excellent basketball and he's picked it up again lately, but he did have a big slump in January and February. Westbrook has emerged as a borderline superstar, IMO. He's been extremely impressive and I've seen him take over a lot more games than Gasol this year. I can understand you taking Pau over him. I think Nash has been underrated this year, nobody has a bigger impact on their teammates IMO. He's the best passer/playmaker in the league and one of the best shooters and I think the Suns have overachieved given their roster despite the fact that they're going to miss the playoffs.

My rankings will probably change a bit after the playoffs.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #92
DMAVS41
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
I agree about Pau in '08. I think the experience helped him and he also got stronger in the offseason and had an excellent 2009 season, he really took his game to another level and was extremely consistent. He showed me a lot vs Howard in the finals.

I've watched Amare all year in New York and with the exception of recent games, I've been thrilled with what he's brought to the team. Pau started off the season playing excellent basketball and he's picked it up again lately, but he did have a big slump in January and February. Westbrook has emerged as a borderline superstar, IMO. He's been extremely impressive and I've seen him take over a lot more games than Gasol this year. I can understand you taking Pau over him. I think Nash has been underrated this year, nobody has a bigger impact on their teammates IMO. He's the best passer/playmaker in the league and one of the best shooters and I think the Suns have overachieved given their roster despite the fact that they're going to miss the playoffs.

My rankings will probably change a bit after the playoffs.

Well said.

I think its all debatable with the guys you listed. That was my point. I have no problem with someone taking Amare or Nash over Gasol. I just wouldn't do it. I wouldn't because of what Gasol gives you on both ends and on the glass. I guess I just think the impact of a skilled 7 footer like Gasol trumps what a guard like Westbrook or Nash can give you.

I think it also depends on the role of each player. I'd probably take a few guys over Gasol to be the best player and leader of a team. However, what Gasol provides the Lakers as the number 2 option is something that very few players in the league could match.
DMAVS41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #93
Da_Realist
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG5MVP
Not even 1986 Celtics had 3 players with 20+ PER. Current Lakers is one of the most stacked teams of all time.

Maybe the best basketball team in recent history and more stacked than either the 2011 Lakers or the 1996 Bulls yet the Lakers and Bulls have more players with 20+ PER than they do. Which tells me PER ultimately doesn't mean anything. Or at least it doesn't prove or disprove whether a team is "stacked". What if a team has seven 19+ PER players? Is that stacked? What if a team has three 20+ PER players and everyone else is a 4? Is that stacked?
Da_Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:32 AM   #94
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAVS41
Well said.

I think its all debatable with the guys you listed. That was my point. I have no problem with someone taking Amare or Nash over Gasol. I just wouldn't do it. I wouldn't because of what Gasol gives you on both ends and on the glass. I guess I just think the impact of a skilled 7 footer like Gasol trumps what a guard like Westbrook or Nash can give you.

I think it also depends on the role of each player. I'd probably take a few guys over Gasol to be the best player and leader of a team. However, what Gasol provides the Lakers as the number 2 option is something that very few players in the league could match.

Agreed, Gasol is perfect as a second option in the triangle offense particularly playing alongside a guy who is up to the challenge of being the first option.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:35 AM   #95
DMAVS41
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
Agreed, Gasol is perfect as a second option in the triangle offense particularly playing alongside a guy who is up to the challenge of being the first option.

Right.

For example. I would take Amare over Gasol to play be the best player on the Knicks this year before Melo got there.

However, I would take Gasol over Amare to be the number 2 guy on the Lakers this year.

I'm not sure Amare can be the best player on a title winning team. I'm not saying he can't for sure, but I wouldn't ever feel confident he can provide enough to lead a team to a title. So I would rather have Gasol on my team simply because I think Gasol would provide more as the number 2 guy than Amare would. Mainly the defense, rebounding, and passing that Gasol brings to the table night in night out.
DMAVS41 is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: