Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2006, 11:38 AM   #46
Laker Logic
Decent playground baller
 
Laker Logic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 298
Default

Quote:
Cuban isn't totally off-base here. Iverson and Nowitzki looks great on paper but the fact that they made the Finals gives Dallas reason not to fiddle with the line-up too much. They were up 2-0 in the Finals before the team fell apart against Wade.

Exactly. If I'm Dallas I stay put - losses like last years are what championship teams go through before they become champs. The team is playing great, everyone knows their roles, they shouldn't feel desperate to make major moves. A team like Dallas now is in the tinkering stage - the've got the basic team that they need already and Iverson's not going to help them anywhere where they need help particularly

No matter what happens, this is going to be the most interesting phase of Iverson's career. Unless he goes to a terrible team, he's going to have to make some major adjustments - even in terms of being the dominant personality if he goes to a team with an established franchise guy. Obviously his dominance of the ball is probably not going to be what a good team is looking for, so that's going to require a big change for him too. Should be interesting.
Laker Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:52 AM   #47
Shepseskaf
Old School
 
Shepseskaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Caribbean
Posts: 4,769
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Cuban isn't totally off-base here. Iverson and Nowitzki looks great on paper but the fact that they made the Finals gives Dallas reason not to fiddle with the line-up too much. They were up 2-0 in the Finals before the team fell apart against Wade.
Cuban is playing it safe here, but ultimately that strategy might turn out to be a mistake IMO. If they get beat by SA and don't get to the championship there's going to be second-guessing all over the place.

To me, the Mavs still need a "finisher" -- a cold-blooded killer who knows how to step on an opponents throat and close them out. If Iverson is on last year's team, they beat the Heat in 4 or 5, without a doubt.

If Cuban doesn't go after this, he's going to regret it.
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:52 AM   #48
Knoe Itawl
Bringer of Light
 
Knoe Itawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
It was a dumb play but I'd rather have that than a guy that asks for time off in the season to promote his rap album.

I'd bet that SA was also motivated last season. I would personally rate the Spurs over Dallas but the two teams are close, so who can say for sure who is better? What Cuban knows is that his team beat them. Sure it was close, but it's going to be close no matter what, and there's also the possibility that has to be considered that Iverson doesn't mesh well on offense and that the defense he already doesn't play doesn't improve as a Mav. He's not a sure thing, and Dallas is already a Contender. Staying pat makes some sense.

Though I can understand the logic, I must disagree. Why did Dallas lose to Miami last year? It was primarily because they shot too many jump shots. I don't think penetration would be a problem with Iverson on the team. He just gives them an extra dynamic they didn't have, and I just can't see Harris and Stackhouse being so essential to the team that you don't make a play for a guy like that. Along with all of his scoring prowess, he brings a certain grit with him.

Dallas doesn't impress me as being a team that is favored over the other teams in the West, and with Iverson they do.

Again, Devin Harris and Stack are THAT important to the chemistry of Dallas?
Knoe Itawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #49
dirkdiggler41
(no Dirk homer)
 
dirkdiggler41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,667
Default

You might screw with the team chemestry, but I would take that risk
dirkdiggler41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:42 PM   #50
telephone
Banned
 
telephone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: you know...
Posts: 670
Default

same here. You have to do what you have to do to win a championship. Right now for the mavs you have to play the short run and not the long run. That means possibly getting rid of ager or devin. I would be ok with that.
telephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:40 PM   #51
geeWiz15
Banned
 
geeWiz15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: limbo
Posts: 5,207
Default

wow... AI in Dallas... might as well end the season right now if that happens.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 03:38 PM   #52
TEXAS BATMAN
Retired.
 
TEXAS BATMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Posts: 762
Default

You trade a young player that could potentially be an all-star in Devin Harris with seasons upon seasons for him for an aged veteran who's so far defied father time but be real you can't outrun age in Allen Iverson? You don't part ways with him or JHo yet. Not unless you're getting youth in return. Currently you have a team that could compete for championships for years. And a great bargaining chip in Devin Harris. You get AI you have a quick fix answer, and the fix isn't likely to happen this year. I'd have a lot of sleepless nights if I was Mavs GM.
TEXAS BATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #53
Smokee
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,208
Default

i think ya'll are overhyping everyone needing/wanting AI. There are so many unknowns and if a team trades for him theres a gamble of a) how many more years hes going to play b) how he'll fit in c) if things dont go well will he demand to be traded again? d) will injuries catchup to him at his age e) on paper is VERY different from the real thing working

whereas all these teams know what they have right now, and it would take gambling half of it away just to see what would happen wtih AI
Smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 03:55 PM   #54
joe lucky
Decent playground baller
 
joe lucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 305
Default

I think he should go to the Clippers if he wants a good shot at winning. Clippers have the players to make it work for Philly. It would be a risk but a calculated one given they made it to the 2nd round last year. AI in LA would be awesome its unfortunate the Lakers don't have the makeup or salaries to make that work (w/ the obvious conflict w/ Kobe wanting the ball too).

Brand + AI would be a great duo. Clippers just need to keep as much as they can on this deal and try to include Tim Thomas some how
joe lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 03:56 PM   #55
Smokee
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,208
Default

i think it'll be the Clippers too. It makes the most trade sense with the players both teams have/want/availabe.
Smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:10 AM   #56
TiMavericks21
Not airballing my layups anymore
 
TiMavericks21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan4zindagi
They were also a few questionable calls and one fortunate roll of the ball from being ousted by SA in the 2nd round.

And with a motivated SA team this season, who knows if a series would even come down to that.

This move would not only make the Mavs vastly better, but it'd create even MORE matchup problems then they already pose.

That is disgraceful of you to claim that you are a Mavericks fan and say something like that. You are completely taking away from the accomplishments of the Mavs by downplaying their victory over SA and claiming it was "calls and a fortunate roll of the ball that prevented them from being ousted". I don't know if you even watched the series, calls went both ways and by no means the determining factor in the series. It came down to who wanted it more, and Dirk did. That was not a fortunate roll, it was a hell of a play by a SUPERSTAR, whose determination wasn't going to let him lose that game. How about OT? The Spurs had an opportunity to put them away in overtime, being that they had home court and the momentum had been swinging in SA's favor after they came back, and the Mavericks applied a beating. Diop and Terry did a phenomenal job in OT, and went out and WON THE SERIES, you act like they had it handed to them like the Heat did in the Finals.

I love how you say a motivated Spurs team, as if the Mavericks aren't more motivated than any other team in the league after their performance in the Finals.

Trading for AI does not make the Mavs better, obviously you are one of those people who automatically assume that adding talented players makes you better. It doesn't work like that. The personality of the Mavericks is COMPLETELY different from AI. He would disrupt team chemistry. Was it not recently that he had an argument with Cheeks and LEFT IN THE MIDDLE OF PRACTICE. You're suddenly assuming that a guy who has had a difficult time complying with authority his whole career is suddendly going to fit perfectly into a system in which Avery Johnson demands respect and compliance from all of his players without question. Someone said earlier, the Mavs are a bunch of good guys, which they are. They NEVER question their coach, NEVER cause any off the court problems, and every guy on the Mavs is on board with the team concept and are fine with their roles within the team, no matter how small it may be. Avery has such close relationships with his players and is committed to all of them, and you suddenly assume that he's just going to get rid of classy guys like Harris, Terry and Stack, to acquire a talented but suspect personality in AI? Why do you think Marquis Daniels isn't in a Mavs uniform anymore, he wasn't an Avery type guy. You think a family oriented coach like Avery is going to mesh with a guy like Iverson. Why would they risk disrupting the solid team chemistry that they have? There is nothing wrong with the current Mavericks team, they have everything they need from top to bottom. If you are a real Mavericks fan, you will know that IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT.
TiMavericks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:52 AM   #57
BballFan422
Decent playground baller
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoe Itawl
Though I can understand the logic, I must disagree. Why did Dallas lose to Miami last year? It was primarily because they shot too many jump shots. I don't think penetration would be a problem with Iverson on the team. He just gives them an extra dynamic they didn't have, and I just can't see Harris and Stackhouse being so essential to the team that you don't make a play for a guy like that. Along with all of his scoring prowess, he brings a certain grit with him.

Dallas doesn't impress me as being a team that is favored over the other teams in the West, and with Iverson they do.

Again, Devin Harris and Stack are THAT important to the chemistry of Dallas?

But, who would they have to give up to get Iverson? Harris is not enough. It would have to be Howard and/or Terry. And I don't think Iverson would be willing to play second fiddle to Dirk or vice versa.
BballFan422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:54 AM   #58
telephone
Banned
 
telephone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: you know...
Posts: 670
Default

thye said they wanted young talent along with expierers. stack, croshere, ager or harris
telephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:02 AM   #59
BballFan422
Decent playground baller
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMavericks21
That is disgraceful of you to claim that you are a Mavericks fan and say something like that. You are completely taking away from the accomplishments of the Mavs by downplaying their victory over SA and claiming it was "calls and a fortunate roll of the ball that prevented them from being ousted". I don't know if you even watched the series, calls went both ways and by no means the determining factor in the series. It came down to who wanted it more, and Dirk did. That was not a fortunate roll, it was a hell of a play by a SUPERSTAR, whose determination wasn't going to let him lose that game. How about OT? The Spurs had an opportunity to put them away in overtime, being that they had home court and the momentum had been swinging in SA's favor after they came back, and the Mavericks applied a beating. Diop and Terry did a phenomenal job in OT, and went out and WON THE SERIES, you act like they had it handed to them like the Heat did in the Finals.


That series did come down to a couple of missed plays. Every game(with the exception of game 2) came down to Duncan missing a put-back, Dirk missing a put-back, Ginoboli loosing the ball out of bounds, Stack missing an open three etc.... If Ginoboli didn't foul Dirk in game 7, there may not have been an overtime. We'll never know.

The good thing is every season has a life of it's own. Never know, we might not see SA or Dallas in the Finals.
BballFan422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:14 AM   #60
TiMavericks21
Not airballing my layups anymore
 
TiMavericks21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BballFan422
That series did come down to a couple of missed plays. Every game(with the exception of game 2) came down to Duncan missing a put-back, Dirk missing a put-back, Ginoboli loosing the ball out of bounds, Stack missing an open three etc.... If Ginoboli didn't foul Dirk in game 7, there may not have been an overtime. We'll never know.

The good thing is every season has a life of it's own. Never know, we might not see SA or Dallas in the Finals.

What is with people and hypothetical situations? If Ginobili didn't foul Dirk... HE DID, HE FOULED HIM AND THEN DIRK SENT THE GAME INTO OVERTIME. That's how the game played out, you don't hear me saying well if Stack made that 3 in the corner, or if Dirk hit that putback. The series panned out how it did. It came down to who wanted it more, the Mavs or the Spurs. Probably the best playoffs series I have ever watched, but obviously the Mavs wanted it more. In the end, they played better when they needed to. Close the book, end of story.
TiMavericks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:15 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

NBA Basketball

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Videos

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy