Learning to shoot layups rifleman's Avatar

Default MAME Question (NBA Play by Play)

Hi,

Many fans of MAME out there? I remember an old thread talking about playing NBA JAM/TE on MAME... good times (Shaq + Penny; D-Rob and Sean Elliot etc).

Anyways, even though I have heavvily addicted to JAM, I liked Konami's Run & Gun and the sequal more. More challenging than JAM, and you get to stay on if you are winning. Usually you would be way up in the first quarter, then the computer would be crazy making buzzer beater 3's, monster tip jams, and huge blocks. Unfortunately, only the first Run and Gun works on MAME (unless they've finally got a working rom for it). If you haven't got it to work, you need to hold F2 and press F3 a few times to get it cranking.

Now to my real question... does anyone have NBA Play by Play (like an updated version of Run and Gun, with 3D characters, NBA rosters, and 45 degree camera angle) to work on MAME - at a decent speed? If so, what are your specs? I've got it going at about 8 real seconds to every 1 game second. Then again, I've got it running on a pretty old system (Pentium M 1.4; 768MB ram). I'm keen to upgrade just so I can play it (Time Crisis is also a similar speed), but I want to do a 'minimal' upgrade.

BTW, if you are looking for MAME and are a newbie, I suggest MAME32 (just google it). Then google MAME roms for the actual games... rom-world is pretty sweet.

C

Default Re: MAME Question (NBA Play by Play)

This game looks really crappy.
    LOL @ Jayson Williams

I'll admit the graphics aren't great, especially compared to todays standards. Please judge it by gameplay - if you were judging by graphics alone then there would be massive boners over a load of crap games that looked good.

Also bear in mind that the game in about 10 years old now - for example, Toronto's lineup was Chauncey; Doug Christie; T-Mac; John Wallace; Camby. In that pic, Indiana's lineup was something like Mark Jackson; Reggie; Mullin; Dale Davis; and Smits. Joe Dumars was still playing ffs!

Anyone played it? Or run and gun?

Saw a basketball once

Hi

used to play nba play by play at the arcades all the time around 99ish

anyway even with a super top notch computer it will still run slow (the ROM that is)
    its not your pc, its MAME's emulation of the rom

and it doesnt seem that anyone is making any further progress on emulating hornet hardware system..there was one guy but he gave up

... doesnt seem theres enough interest in their games/hardware.

theres been no development for a couple of years

I own an arcade machine with a couple of game boards.. and ive just purchased 'nba play by play' arcade game board ... pretty hard to come by but i just found one

Saw a basketball once

Firstly, let me congratulate you on having great taste it's a great game in my book!

Thanks for the reply, it makes a lot of sense based on what I've been reading on the net.

Out of interest, what type of machine do you have? A stand up cabinet? I remember when I used to play 'NBA play by play' it was on a 'back to back' style to accomodate 4 players.

And what games/boards do you have?

Do you find it complicated mechnically? I was intimidated to buy a machine because it seemed like a techician would come into the arcade everyday to fix something! Plus, it's pretty hard to hide from the wife!

C

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate
    Hi

used to play nba play by play at the arcades all the time around 99ish

anyway even with a super top notch computer it will still run slow (the ROM that is)
    its not your pc, its MAME's emulation of the rom

and it doesnt seem that anyone is making any further progress on emulating hornet hardware system..there was one guy but he gave up

... doesnt seem theres enough interest in their games/hardware.

theres been no development for a couple of years

I own an arcade machine with a couple of game boards.. and ive just purchased 'nba play by play' arcade game board ... pretty hard to come by but i just found one

Saw a basketball once

Hi there

thanks.

I just have a stand up machine with two controls and 6 buttons a side (for street fighter series)

I have the following:
    Street fighter II champion edition, Street fighter zero 2 alpha and NBA play by play for my first machine, and i have a second machine (with the monitor mounted up-down / vertically) with Galaga

Mechanically they arent too complicated. Its only the monitors you have to be weary of. If you buy a machine, make sure the monitor is in top nick with nice bright sharp colours. Repairers go into arcades because these machines are on for 9 hours a day 6 days a week :)

Id strongly suggest you get one :)