Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast
    the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Default Re: Absolute Smartest People on InsideHoops

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    Hmm, but we would want our smart people passing along their genes.

I feel like I've come across more dumb/ugly combination than smart/ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    hmm..that is very interesting

I didn't think a study would exist because I don't know how you rate "attractivness"

and the genius minds out there are people like Steven Hawking...not Johnny Depp or Brad Pitt

it also doesn't go along with the typical "geek - jock" steriotype...or cheerleader vs. math club girl...etc
    That is a very false preconception you have there then. You probably have a mental image of geniuses, who are often eccentrics. Then again, you can point to Hawking who has a severe physical illness as an "ugly", there have been plenty of geniuses throughout history who were well noted for their physical attractiveness. Julius Ceasar, Cleopatra: possibly the most well known man and woman geniuses of the ancient world were both noted for their physical beauty.

But the biggest crop of "above average intelligent people" aren't geniuses though. When you walk around a quality college you'll see a lot more attractive folks there than when you go see the latest Adam Sandler movie.
    Last edited by LJJ; 06-04-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    That is a very false preconception you have there then. You probably have a mental image of geniuses, who are often eccentrics. Then again, you can point to Hawking who has a severe physical illness as an "ugly", there have been plenty of geniuses throughout history who were well noted for their physical attractiveness. Julius Ceasar, Cleopatra: possibly the most well known man and woman geniuses of the ancient world were both noted for their physical beauty.

[COLOR="Red"]But the biggest crop of "above average intelligent people" aren't geniuses though.[/COLOR] When you walk around a quality college you'll see a lot more attractive folks there than when you go see the latest Adam Sandler movie.
    right, when I think of great intelligence I get images of Hawking and Einstein in my head...and when I think of attractiveness I get images of Kim Kardashian and super models who are generally shallow people...

also the geek-jock stereotype would have the geek as smart/ugly and the jock as dumb/attractive

It makes sense though now that I think about that just being of "above average intelligence" would be more likely in physically attractive people because they are more likely to be active and out going which helps brain chemistry tremendously.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

There's probably also an association between the similar paths that lead to both intelligence and physical attractiveness. Both require a certain degree of work ethic, application of knowledge, regiment. There's reason to think they'd be related.

The sort of people you're talking about are really extreme outliers. Someone like Stephen Hawking or Einstein was probably going to be pretty bright without much work ethic, just like someone who is the physical specimen of you're average leading man would probably be pretty good looking even if he was an insurance salesman. But both of those things represent ranges that overlap. All in all it makes sense that attractiveness and intelligence would be somewhat related.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    There's probably also an association between the similar paths that lead to both intelligence and physical attractiveness. [COLOR="Red"]Both require a certain degree of work ethic, application of knowledge, regiment. There's reason to think they'd be related.[/COLOR]

The sort of people you're talking about are really extreme outliers. Someone like Stephen Hawking or Einstein was probably going to be pretty bright without much work ethic, just like someone who is the physical specimen of you're average leading man would probably be pretty good looking even if he was an insurance salesman. But both of those things represent ranges that overlap. All in all it makes sense that attractiveness and intelligence would be somewhat related.
    That came to mind for me at first as well but when I looked to see how they rated "attractiveness" in the study I got this:

[COLOR="Red"]At ages 7 and 11[/COLOR], the teacher of each NCDS respondent is
    asked to describe the child's physical appearance, by choosing
    up to three adjectives from a highly eclectic list of five:
    “attractive,” “unattractive or not attractive,” “looks underfed
    or undernourished,” “abnormal feature,” and “scruffy or
    slovenly & dirty.” A respondent is coded as attractive=1 if
    he or she is described as “attractive” at both age 7 and age 11
    by two different teachers, 0 otherwise. I use this binary
    measure of physical attractiveness as the independent
    variable. 62.0% of all NCDS respondents are coded as
    attractive.
    Zebrowitz, Olson and Hoffman (1993) analysis of the
    longitudinal data from the Intergenerational Studies of
    Development and Aging shows that individuals' relative
    physical attractiveness remains very stable across the life
    course. Their structural equation model suggests that physical
    attractiveness in childhood (measured between the ages of 9
    and 10) is significantly positively correlated with physical
    attractiveness in puberty (measured between the ages of 12
    and 13 for girls and 14 and 15 for boys) (r=.70 for boys,
    r=.79 for girls), and physical attractiveness in puberty is
    significantly positively correlated with physical attractiveness
    in adolescence (measured between the ages of 17 and
    18) (r=.72 for boys, r=.70 for girls). This suggests that
    physical attractiveness in childhood is correlated with
    physical attractiveness in adolescence at r=.504 for boys
    and r=.553 for girls.

at ages 7-11 I don't think we are putting forth a ton of effort in how we look...

I did consider that perhaps the undernourished/dirty scruffy/or very overweight kids come from parents that aren't very smart or give a shit about their child's appearance.

Me, Myself, and I. I already created my own social network.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

The other thing to consider in the attractiveness/intelligence relation is from a genetic stand point. But more than anything I think it's more a social factor.

The "geeky nerds are ugly, dumb jocks are attractive" argument falls apart after high school.

Also, I live in the land of overweight people. fat (ugly) people with above average intelligence are pretty rare in OKC.

LAwilwintheirlsthomegm

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Me, Myself, and I. I already created my own social network.
    You are the biggest dumbass on this forum...

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    The "geeky nerds are ugly, dumb jocks are attractive" argument falls apart after high school.

Also, I live in the land of overweight people. fat (ugly) people with above average intelligence are pretty rare in OKC.
    not just OKC it looks like...(obviously)

The greater your weight, the lower your IQ, say scientists

being overweight is awful for you on so many levels...

I know that being overweight and depression are linked...

kind of conflicts with the claim that intelligent people are more likely to be depressed...

not just OKC it looks like...(obviously)

The greater your weight, the lower your IQ, say scientists

being overweight is awful for you on so many levels...
    interesting. i wonder what comes first, the low iq or the weight. it seems kind of like a chicken vs the egg situation. do people get fat because they are stupid, or does being fat actually make a person dumber?

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    interesting. i wonder what comes first, the low iq or the weight. it seems kind of like a chicken vs the egg situation. do people get fat because they are stupid, or does being fat actually make a person dumber?
    the article claims that getting fat actually makes you dumber...

high blood pressure and other things affect brain chemistry in a negative way

I know that being overweight and depression are linked...

kind of conflicts with the claim that intelligent people are more likely to be depressed...

i think almost everybody is depressed depending on how you define depression. when i see commercials for anti-depressants that say:

Quote Originally Posted by bullshit random pharma commercial
    "do you have trouble getting out of bed in the morning?"

"do you sometimes feel like stuff doesnt matter?"

"do you feel nervous about social situations?"

then you should ask your doctor about this pill

side effects include bleeding out the ass and instant death
    well, I have trouble getting out of bed in the morning. sometimes I feel like my life is pointless. also, I get plenty nervous before going to an important work conference or something...... well that settles it, I guess I am depressed and should ask my doctor about the ass bleeding pill that will make me happy.

another thing on depression - the more i learn about the world, the more I ask myself how an educated individual can NOT be depressed. as an environmentalist, i dont see how it is possible for me to not be depressed. the way humans treat each other and the way we treat our giant organic spaceship is just flat out depressing.

we live in a society where we celebrate selfishness and stupidity, how can i not be depressed?

Quote Originally Posted by Story Up
    You are the biggest dumbass on this forum...

F*ck you G00K. You're in your late 20's when you graduated in College. You are way past your prime. You will never be a millionaire, and a lawyer like me. Kiss my @$$ Bitchhhhhhhhhhhhh.