Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: If 08-10 LBJ played in 96-98 would he...

lol at anyone comparing Lebron to Jordan. He is not even better than Pippen at being a sidekick. Pippen could set a monster pick and pop out and bank a shot in when he felt like it. That is 2 moves too many for Lebron already. That and I think Pippen could play defense.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by che guevara
    Depends. You could go either way with '96 MJ, '97 maaaaybe, but '09-'10 Lebron was definitely better than '98 MJ. This isn't prime MJ we're talking about, he was not the same player he was before baseball. Lebron gives you better production in every category on significantly better efficiency. In the '09 playoffs, Lebron was playing at a level much higher than MJ ever played at post-baseball. People acting like it's not even close should remember that this isn't prime Jordan we're talking about.

It should also be mentioned that Lebron would benefit hugely from the pulled in 3 point line from '96-'97.
    Jordan averaged over 32 points per game in the playoffs in 1998... And that was over the course of 21 games, not some small sample. And, all of Jordan's numbers came within the flow of the game. He understood exactly when to take over and how to do it.

He also played great defense over the course of those 21 games. He wasn't that far out of his prime and it could be argued that what he lost in athleticism, he made up for in experience and an understanding of the game.

Believe what you will, but when Jordan turned it on, he was almost as unstoppable in '98 as he was in '92 (and this is coming from someone whose team was repeatedly r@ped by MJ).

James has yet to harness his talents and learn how to win on the biggest stages. So, yeah... Give me the guy that has proven it when everything is on the line.

I don't even see a legitimate debate here, to be honest. Jordan was still GREAT in 1998... Great.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 01-19-2011 at 12:26 AM.

Just to put MJs athletism in perspective...98 MJ is way more athletic then Kobe of the last two years

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Depends. You could go either way with '96 MJ, '97 maaaaybe, but '09-'10 Lebron was definitely better than '98 MJ. This isn't prime MJ we're talking about, he was not the same player he was before baseball. Lebron gives you better production in every category on significantly better efficiency. In the '09 playoffs, Lebron was playing at a level much higher than MJ ever played at post-baseball. People acting like it's not even close should remember that this isn't prime Jordan we're talking about.

It should also be mentioned that Lebron would benefit hugely from the pulled in 3 point line from '96-'97.
    yet the "non prime Jordan won three rings" playing overall at a level better than LeBron.

Lebron should not be discussed in any year of Jordan's career up to his last MVP in '98.

Great players are defined by success.

No way you can compare a 5 time MVP, to Lebron.

"OLD" Jordan won two MVP's even then at 32 and 34.

He gave up every shot to attempt to be a Jordan the day he walked away from Cleveland.

Malone was eliminated 17 times by teams without Jordan on them. Let's not act like Jordan was the only reason he couldn't win a ring. His production and efficiency consistently dropped in the playoffs (sometimes significantly), something that doesn't happen with Lebron.
    Actually, you are wrong. Let's look at the 'big four' statistics that people usually seek out when evaluating player performance (points, assists, rebounds, shooting%)...

LeBron James statistics:

2005-06 regular season - 31.4 ppg, 7.0 rebounds, 6.6 assists, 48% shooting
    2005-06 playoffs - 30.8 ppg, 8.1 rebounds, 5.8 assists, 47.6% shooting

*Down in points, assists and shooting in the 2006 playoffs.

2006-07 regular season - 27.3 ppg, 6.7 rebounds, 6.0 assists, 47.6% shoting
    2006-07 playoffs - 25.1 ppg, 8.1 rebounds, 8.0 assists, 41.6% shooting

*Down in points and shooting in the 2007 playoffs.

2007-08 regular season - 30.0 ppg, 7.9 rebounds, 7.1 assists, 48.4% shooting
    2007-08 playoffs - 28.2 ppg, 7.8 rebounds, 7.6 assists, 41.1% shooting

*Down in points, rebounds and shooting in the 2008 playoffs.

2008-09 regular season - 28.4 ppg, 7.6 rebounds, 7.2 assists, 48.9% shooting
    2008-09 playoffs - 35.3 ppg, 9.1 rebounds, 7.6 assists, 51% shooting

*Up in every category during playoffs.

2009-10 regular season - 29.7 ppg, 7.3 rebounds, 8.6 assists, 50.3% shooting
    2009-10 playoffs - 29.1 ppg, 9.3 rebounds, 7.6 assists, 50.2% shooting

*Down in points, assists and shooting in the 2010 playoffs.

So, only in the historically great 2009 playoffs did James actually increase his numbers in the 'big four' categories during the playoffs. In his four other playoff performances, the majority of these numbers have dropped in the postseason.

That includes a dramatic drop in shooting percentage and efficiency in the postseason. These don't include numbers on things like turnovers per game and I can tell you without even looking that his turnover numbers usually skyrocket in the postseason.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 01-19-2011 at 12:23 AM.

I legitemately believe that durant can overthrow jordan that or be a rich mans joe smith/garnett. But there is no way lebron is better than jordan, lebron is just using his god given talents while jordan worked extremely hard to get the ability to be that clutch and efficient.....

kobe is just kobe as in jordan withought the team part of his game. although he does know when to take over he isnt as efficient or part of the flow of the game although his talent might be as good

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Actually, you are wrong. Let's look at the 'big four' statistics that people usually seek out when evaluating player performance (points, assists, rebounds, shooting%)...

LeBron James statistics:

2005-06 regular season - 31.4 ppg, 7.0 rebounds, 6.6 assists, 48% shooting
    2005-06 playoffs - 30.8 ppg, 8.1 rebounds, 5.8 assists, 47.6% shooting

*Down in points, assists and shooting in the 2006 playoffs.

2006-07 regular season - 27.3 ppg, 6.7 rebounds, 6.0 assists, 47.6% shoting
    2006-07 playoffs - 25.1 ppg, 8.1 rebounds, 8.0 assists, 41.6% shooting

*Down in points and shooting in the 2007 playoffs.

2007-08 regular season - 30.0 ppg, 7.9 rebounds, 7.1 assists, 48.4% shooting
    2007-08 playoffs - 28.2 ppg, 7.8 rebounds, 7.6 assists, 41.1% shooting

*Down in points, rebounds and shooting in the 2008 playoffs.

2008-09 regular season - 28.4 ppg, 7.6 rebounds, 7.2 assists, 48.9% shooting
    2008-09 playoffs - 35.3 ppg, 9.1 rebounds, 7.6 assists, 51% shooting

*Up in every category during playoffs.

2009-10 regular season - 29.7 ppg, 7.3 rebounds, 8.6 assists, 50.3% shooting
    2009-10 playoffs - 29.1 ppg, 9.3 rebounds, 7.6 assists, 50.2% shooting

*Down in points, assists and shooting in the 2010 playoffs.

So, only in the historically great 2009 playoffs did James actually increase his numbers in the 'big four' categories during the playoffs. In his four other playoff performances, the majority of these numbers have dropped in the postseason.

That includes a dramatic drop in shooting percentage and efficiency in the postseason. These don't include numbers on things like turnovers per game and I can tell you without even looking that his turnover numbers usually skyrocket in the postseason.
    Now I know u are a Cavs fan, but you didn't have to do him like that.

I'm shocked that anyone can compare LeBron to Jordan.

NBA rookie of the year

Second best behind Jordan in '96 and '97. Possibly the best in '98.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    Second best behind Jordan in '96 and '97. Possibly the best in '98.
    That's what I was trying to say. Knickscity isn't going to like that.

Banned

No. He has to be better than Pippen first before he can get to Jordan...

Quote Originally Posted by KenneBell
    That's what I was trying to say. Knickscity isn't going to like that.
    It's not I don't like it, it just has no basis.

LeBron can't touch Jordan on anything, and I seriously doubt when LeBron turns 32 his game will be anything close to Jordan's at 32.

He is not better than Jordan was in '98. He just isn't... I don't know where this is coming from. I wouldn't entertain James to Jordan arguments when LeBron was a Cavalier and I'm certainly not going to do it now.

I have to wonder how many people commenting on this actually saw Jordan play (and were old enough to really comprehend and understand the game).

I also agree with KnicksCity that James forever forfeited any comparisons to the best player of all-time when he chose to play with the second best player in the league over the summer. It is really too bad, because James does have the talent to rival Jordan if he really ever figured it all out and put it together when it really counts, but even if he does that now, questions will forever follow him...

Could he do it without the second best player in the league on his team? Could he actually do it against Wade with comparable supporting casts? Is he able to be the unquestioned leader of a championship team?

He left all of these questions (and more) unanswered in Cleveland and, with his choice of teammates, they will be virtually impossible to answer going forward.

A great player? Unquestionably. How great? We may never be able to answer that fully.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 01-19-2011 at 01:11 AM.

LeBron averaged 39-9-9 againts the Orlando Magic in the Conference Finals. What was Mo Williams, Anderson Varejao stats in the Conference Finals? A One men team would never win an NBA title. Basketball is a team sports.

PS

The Heat would destroy the Knicks next week. I hope Melo plays in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    LeBron averaged 39-9-9 againts the Orlando Magic in the Conference Finals. What was Mo Williams, Anderson Varejao stats in the Conference Finals? A One men team would never win an NBA title. Basketball is a team sports.

PS

The fact of the matter is, when you have to point to a Conference Finals performance to make a comparison to Michael Jordan, the comparison should have never been made in the first place. It was an all-time great performance in 2009 by James against the Magic, but one series does not make Michael Jordan.... Well, Michael Jordan (not to mention the Cavs lost).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23

PS

why you ?