Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Prime Kobe Bryant or Prime Lebron James

Quote Originally Posted by FindingTim
    excluding all-around play, efficiency, MVP's, total dominance, athleticism, passing, and blocking shots, I'd say Kobe has the edge here.
    Excluding jump shots, perimeter plays, clutchness, footwork, work ethic, slam dunk contest award, rape, and marriage skills, I'd say Lebron has the edge here.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus
    I pick Kobe. He's won two rings as the clear first option in his prime. What did Lebron do in his prime, other than dominating in the regular season? His meltdowns in 2010 and 2011 playoffs are enough for me to take Kobe over him.
    There's been plenty of players who were the best in the league for a given year and didn't win a ring. Some of the best players to ever play the game, didn't win a ring during select years of their peak/prime. But again, there's no stopping people from using solely team accomplishments when ranking individual players; especially when the quality of their respective teams has been so far off. The years they were close, Kobe was refusing to shoot a FG in the 2nd half of a game 7. Is that enough of a reason to take _____ over Kobe?

Local High School Star

look at all the Lebron fans making up silly categories to justify Lebron.

Kobe is better on offense.
    Kobe is better on defense.

There is no more to discuss.

MVP of Insidehoops

Kobe easily.

National High School Star FindingTim's Avatar

when 'slam dunk contest award' counts as an advantage, you know you're reaching.

Also, if you give Kobe credit for "clutchness" (I'm assuming you mean game-winning shots) we also have to account for other clutch factors, like say, game 7's, or finals performances in general. But that hurts both players cases.

I think Kobe's biggest advantage is his will. I've seen his desire to win literally carry his team to victory (often despite shooting heroic fadeaway threes in the corner with 18 seconds left on the shot clock).

Sure, Kobe's footwork is far superior, but I'd say that for every point Kobe scores because of elite footwork, Lebron scores four points because of elite athleticism. They each can drop ya around 30 a game, but Lebron's game is far more efficient, and far more unselfish.

You want to talk about impact? In Kobe's prime he set tons of scoring records while surrounded by a bunch of scrubs. But his team never went anywhere.
    Prior to Lebron's prime he posted amazing stats while surrounded by a bunch of scrubs. His team reached the NBA finals.

You might think Kobe's teammates were much worse, but for every Smush Parker there is an Ira Newble, for every Chucky Atkins there is a Daniel Gibson, and for every Stanislav Medvedenko there is a Damon Jones.

Kobe has the rings and the looks and the fame and the glory, but Lebron has the better prime.
    Last edited by FindingTim; 01-03-2012 at 04:03 PM.

College superstar

excluding all-around play, efficiency, MVP's, athleticism, passing, and blocking shots, I'd say Kobe has the edge here.
    I have no problem with someone saying Kobe. Postseason successes aren't close. But I find these curious. Efficency? Seriously? Kobe's eGF hasn't been within 100 points of LBJ's during peak years. PER, WS? Kobe has never finished in the top 2 in the NBA in either. LBJ is leading for the 5th straight year, something only Wilt, Jordan and Kareem did before him. LBJ jas avg ~50% higher on assts and blocks than Kobe.

Again, there are plenty of reasons to pick Kobe. These just aren't them.

Lebron is the better all around player. His combo of size, skill, versatility, and athletic ability has never been seen before. But even with that, give me prime Kobe. Kobe has one of the most complete all around guys ever for a perimeter player as well. I just think Bron as more of an instinct for the passing playmaking aspects, even though Kobe is great at that too. Bron can defend more positions than Kobe, but as of now Bron's on ball D isn't on prime Kobe's level. And once again prime Kobe was very versatile on D and able to D up PG, SG, and SF. On offense Kobe can also run PG, SG, and SF.

But the big gap occurs with the alpha dog killer instinct aspect. And it's what tilts the prime Kobe over prime Lebron. Bron is a great scorer but he's a notch below Kobe, Melo, Dirk, Durant, and Wade in terms of killer instinct. Even a guy like Magic, who Bron tends to be compared somewhat often, showed a clear edge on Bron when it came to willing a team and being a killer.

Bron has had his moments and I would rather have him for my team over Dirk, Durant, and Melo. But when it comes to great scorers who are also great all around players like MJ, Bird, Wade, and Kobe, many would take them over Bron. Lebron is a great scorer and great all around player, but the killer instinct aspect isn't on the level it needs to be consistently.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
    I have no problem with someone saying Kobe. Postseason successes aren't close. But I find these curious. Efficency? Seriously? Kobe's eGF hasn't been within 100 points of LBJ's during peak years. PER, WS? Kobe has never finished in the top 2 in the NBA in either. LBJ is leading for the 5th straight year, something only Wilt, Jordan and Kareem did before him. LBJ jas avg ~50% higher on assts and blocks than Kobe.

He said excluding.. meaning the opposite.

And I'd pick Kobe. Better lockdown defender in his prime.. much better half court player.. shooting, off the ball movements, in and out passing, infinitely more skilled.. one of most dominant scorers of all time.. never shrinks due to fear.. not as good a rebounder or passer as Bron but one of best, if not the best at his position every year.

National High School Star FindingTim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid

thanks man, you further proved my point
    you're like the Fedex guy who has no idea he is an amazing drug dealer.

Kobe. Better at winning. Lebron racks up stats but they don't affect the game as much as Kobe's does.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote Originally Posted by Nash
    Lebron is in his prime right now.
    THIS

I think in terms of individual production, this year and next year will be the greatest years of his career.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by quick96
    Coming from a bum who stalks Kobe vids on Youtube. Trying to belittle the

G.O.A.T.

I bet you have butt naked posters of LeHype "no rings" James on your bedroom

wall, right next to Michael "90's cupcake" Jordan naked pics.

FREAKING PATHETIC!!!

bwink = LeHypes *** dispenser

U MAD???

Banned

The biggest problem with LeBron is that he doesn't really have a defined role. With Kobe you and him both know his role and that is to be the go-to scorer of the team. I don't know what Lebron's role is and neither does he. I think that is why he had such a hard time fitting in with Wade last season. If I had to take a guess, his role is to accumulate as much stats as possible, i.e. the stat accumulator.

Lebron has the ability to do a lot of things and be great a lot of things, similar to Wilt to a lesser extent.

Wilt had the ability to do a lot of things and be the best a it while I am not sure if Lebron was ever the best at any category.

LeBron was never the best scorer, never the best defender, and he was never the best passer or playmaker in the league. I have actually always thought that Lebron's passing/playmaking skills were incredibly overrated.

Kobe on the other hand was clearly the most dominant and best scorer in the league. That is and always was Kobe's defined role ever since Shaq left.

While it is nice to have a player that can practically do it all, it also hurts because especially when Lebron doesn't know when to change or switch roles throughout games, throughout a playoff series, or throughout the season.

That's the difference between Kobe and Lebron to me. Kobe also has great all-around skills although I am not sure if they are greater than Lebron's, but Kobe knows what his role is and when to change and switch roles. Lebron on the other hand does not know this which is why he tends to struggle in unusual periods of time.

Good High School Starter

All around player-Lebron

Scorer, intangibles/leadership, in the clutch, when it matters MOST/to propel your team to victory which is what basketball is about at the end of the day--> Lord Mamba.

when 'slam dunk contest award' counts as an advantage, you know you're reaching.

Also, if you give Kobe credit for "clutchness" (I'm assuming you mean game-winning shots) we also have to account for other clutch factors, like say, game 7's, or finals performances in general. But that hurts both players cases.

I think Kobe's biggest advantage is his will. I've seen his desire to win literally carry his team to victory (often despite shooting heroic fadeaway threes in the corner with 18 seconds left on the shot clock).

Sure, Kobe's footwork is far superior, but I'd say that for every point Kobe scores because of elite footwork, Lebron scores four points because of elite athleticism. They each can drop ya around 30 a game, but Lebron's game is far more efficient, and far more unselfish.

You want to talk about impact? In Kobe's prime he set tons of scoring records while surrounded by a bunch of scrubs. But his team never went anywhere.
    Prior to Lebron's prime he posted amazing stats while surrounded by a bunch of scrubs. His team reached the NBA finals.

You might think Kobe's teammates were much worse, but for every Smush Parker there is an Ira Newble, for every Chucky Atkins there is a Daniel Gibson, and for every Stanislav Medvedenko there is a Damon Jones.

Kobe has the rings and the looks and the fame and the glory, but Lebron has the better prime.
    Oh you were being sarcastic on your previous post. I thought you were serious when you actually excluded all those important factors. I mistakenly mocked your post based on that.