Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Default Re: Where Does Paul Pierce Rank Among The Greatest SFs?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    Durant needs at least 5 years under his belt to be consider to be on that list.
    Exactly, thank you. How can anyone put Durant over Pierce with a FMVP and Chip?

top 15 for sho

Well he is better player now, than Lebron is right now is in his prime ...

So how can he not be top 5???

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanyr2k
    Do people even use All-Star appearances anymore when comparing players?
    Well, I just did and I doubt I'm the only one.
    I think All-NBA, All-Defense teams are a better indicator of ranking a player among his peers.
    All-NBA is more relevant but All-D definitely is not. No one thinks Bruce Bowen had a better career than P.
    It seems to me Nique was regarded as a Top 3 SF throughout his era while Pierce was not.
    I am not arguing that Pierce is over Wilkins. But I will strongly dispute the idea that Pierce has not been an elite 3 for most of his career.

Do people even use All-Star appearances anymore when comparing players? I think All-NBA, All-Defense teams are a better indicator of ranking a player among his peers. It seems to me Nique was regarded as a Top 3 SF throughout his era while Pierce was not.
    Pierce was the 2nd best SF for most of his era only behind Bron. Durant passed him after a few years in though.

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    I'd put him above Nique, because Nique never rang or even came close to one & his numbers are overrated due to the pace of his era. Pierce had a better all-around game & his accolades speak for themselves.
    Per game:
    21.3/5.9/3.8 stl 1.4, blk: 0.6, to: 2.9, FGA 15.6, FG% .447, FTA: 7.1 FT%: .807
    24.8/6.7/2.5 stl 1.3, blk: 0.6, to: 2.5, FGA 20.1, FG% .461, FTA: 6.9, FT% .811

I would think accolades would put Pierce on top, but numbers favour Wilkens a little bit.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Pierce getting disrespected

Complete Player

Quote Originally Posted by MMM
    Pierce was the 2nd best SF for most of his era only behind Bron. Durant passed him after a few years in though.
    If he truly were the 2nd best SF behind Lebron then you figure he'd be at least All-NBA second or third team during those seasons. When it comes to accolades Pierce fell off the map after '03 and didn't resurface until '08 when Ray Allen and KG came to the team and even then it was only a third team selection. Durant already has FOUR All-NBA first team selections (something Pierce couldn't accomplish one time in his career) and KD's career is only in its 7th season. And you know that fifth All-NBA first team is coming this year.

If he truly were the 2nd best SF behind Lebron then you figure he'd be at least All-NBA second or third team during those seasons.
    All-NBA spots go to "forwards," not just small forwards. Pierce was thus competing with Tim Duncan, KG, Nowitzki, Webber, Gasol and some other good PFs I've probably forgotten.

Top10

Bird
    Lebron
    Erving
    Hondo
    Baylor
    Barry
    Pippen
    Worthy
    Nique
    Pierce

Complete Player

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    All-NBA spots go to "forwards," not just small forwards. Pierce was thus competing with Tim Duncan, KG, Nowitzki, Webber, Gasol and some other good PFs I've probably forgotten.

As was Peja Stojakovic, Ron Artest and Shawn Marion at the time but they were were making All-NBA teams while Pierce wasn't.

As was Peja Stojakovic, Ron Artest and Shawn Marion at the time but they were were making All-NBA teams while Pierce wasn't.
    All guys that made less total teams than Pierce and who Pierce could be argued to be better than the year they made it over him. The Celtics had some down years during Pierce's prime and losing hurts. But Artest/Marion could never carry an offense and Stojakovic was never the best player on his team. They got the bump because their teams were winning, teams that had other guys as their franchise players.

Ignoring Kevin Durant (who's career is still too short, but will surely finish his career high on this list)...

1 - Larry Bird
    2 - LeBron James
    3 - Elgin Baylor
    4 - Julius Erving
    5 - John Havlicek
    6 - Rick Barry
    7 - Scottie Pippen
    8 - Dominique Wilkins

I'd take all of them over Pierce. But then it gets tricky. Pierce could make a claim ahead of any of the following:

Billy Cunningham
    Paul Arizin
    James Worthy
    Alex English
    Bernard King
    Adrian Dantley
    Grant Hill
    Chris Mullin
    Carmelo Anthony

So I'd have Pierce anywhere from 9th to about 12th on my all-time SF list.

Complete Player

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    All guys that made less total teams than Pierce and who Pierce could be argued to be better than the year they made it over him. The Celtics had some down years during Pierce's prime and losing hurts. But Artest/Marion could never carry an offense and Stojakovic was never the best player on his team. They got the bump because their teams were winning, teams that had other guys as their franchise players.
    But they still made it even with the competition you were stating as the reason why Pierce wasn't making those teams back then. If Pierce's play was worthy he should have been on that list over those guys no question about it.

Peja actually was the best player on his team in 2003-04 when Webber went down early in the season.

But they still made it even with the competition you were stating as the reason why Pierce wasn't making those teams back then. If Pierce's play was worthy he should have been on that list over those guys no question about it.
    So you're saying that inferior players never get picked over superior players due to winning? That's just wrong.

Peja actually was the best player on his team in 2003-04 when Webber went down.
    True, but the supporting cast was far better than what Pierce was working with that season.