Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Default Re: Former ESPN Analyst Bill Simmons Calls Out Referee Bias After Heat/Celtics Game

I don't know if there was a conspiracy or rigging or whatever, but the refs were clearly one-sided tonight. That, coupled with LeBron and Wade's ability to sell calls really caused mayhem. Oh well, it's how the NBA works now. Exploit rules till you win.

There was a time when I was growing up where coaches didn't preach about getting to the line. Fouls were put in place to play a clean and skill-filled game. Since then, people realized it's easier to exploit the inefficiencies and inaccuracies of the game than it is to play basketball.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Default Re: Former ESPN Analyst Bill Simmons Calls Out Referee Bias After Heat/Celtics Game

That one play where Wade extended his leg and kicked/blocked KG was a dirty play and yet the foul was on KG. That was a huge call...

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    That, coupled with LeBron and Wade's ability to sell calls really caused mayhem.
    That bothers me more than the calls themselves.

Watching Wade get past Rondo and then go 100 miles per hour into the chest of Paul Pierce when he could have pulled up for a wide open jumper (and other countless plays just like it)...

He is too great a player to play like that, imo. There was a time when guys didn't play for fouls in such an obvious manner. There was a time when a great player drove past the initial defender, they looked to score and not wildly barrel into the opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    That one play where Wade extended his leg and kicked/blocked KG was a dirty play and yet the foul was on KG. That was a huge call...
    that was a clear foul on KG and a not so clear foul on wade. how often is the 'kick' rule called? tonight was honestly the first time i've ever even heard of it

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    Then stared KG down afterwards? Loved that play.

And KG hacked his arm, you forgot that part.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack

Watching Wade get past Rondo and then go 100 miles per hour into the chest of Paul Pierce when he could have pulled up for a wide open jumper (and other countless plays just like it)...

He is too great a player to play like that, imo. There was a time when guys didn't play for fouls in such an obvious manner. There was a time when a great player drove past the initial defender, they looked to score and not wildly barrel into the opposition.
    So a slashing guard shouldn't attack an old 3 man in foul trouble?

Ok.

When you gonna deal with it?

And you know what 'it' is.

Serious playground baller Extempo's Avatar

Bill Simmons MUST be a "Kobetard" right...according to that mentally challenged Lebron fan, its only the Kobe fans who are hating on Miami right now. Hysterical.

Bill seems to have ZERO problems when games are blatantly called unfairly in favor of the Celtics:

Bill Simmons ‏@sportsguy33

Love the refs tonight! Does anyone know their addresses? I want to send them fruit baskets

High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    Bill seems to have ZERO problems when games are blatantly called unfairly in favor of the Celtics:
    It's called sarcasm. Look it up

Quote Originally Posted by itsGameTime
    It's called sarcasm. Look it up
    Really? So that's what it's called? My goodness! I never knew that. Any idea as to where I can look it up? I'm really glad you've joined in on the discussion, Mr. Helper!

Simmons is a homer and a tool, but he's right on this one. Interestingly, he directs his accusations towards "the league", rather than the person who controls it.

I wonder why?

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack

I have a problem with the language around that action too. Too much nowadays analysts and commentators are encouraging and praising that sort of play. They'll say things like "they give up their body," "take the contact," or something along the lines of being tough or masculine. Taking the contact used to be to describe purely on someone fouling you, not you jumping into someone else. Probably 10 years ago it would be just called reckless. Reckless and irresponsible. It's just unfortunate that we're using praising what my former coaches back in the 90s and early 2000s would've yelled at me for. In the last 10 years, basketball has drastically changed. The rewards and incentives have truly changed. It's unfortunate.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    So a slashing guard shouldn't attack an old 3 man in foul trouble?

Ok.

When you gonna deal with it?

And you know what 'it' is.
    It wasn't just that play, but no... I don't think a player should be rewarded for a play like that (it did look like Pierce jumped straight up). What, exactly, is Pierce supposed to do on that play? Move out of the way?

And "it" is just an easy cop-out for people to invalidate an opinion on a topic that has absolutely, positively nothing to do with "it."

There was one NBA game tonight. When I see something during the action that I feel deserves a comment, I'm going to comment on it.

I will also say that the Celtics lack of defensive rebounding in the fourth quarter is really what cost them this game... Moreso than one specific call that went against them. If Boston secures a couple of boards after Heat misses down the stretch of regulation, it would have never come down to all of that.

Heat came up with big rebounds in huge situations and that was the story of the night to me.

Doesn't mean that I think the way Wade is currently playing for the whistle is good for basketball.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Bladers
    48 FTs to 29
    15 more fouls called on boston.

That's the definition of rigging. smh.
    That is a disgusting disparity. You'd think the Celtics were facing a prime Shaquille O'Neal.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Bladers
    48 FTs to 29
    15 more fouls called on boston.

That's the definition of rigging. smh.
    AI must be rolling over in his grave right now at all of the FTs Lebron and Wade get for running into defenders. Back then he actually had to earn them.