Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park

Default Re: Best guard prospect: Derrick Rose/Ricky Rubio/OJ Mayo/Eric Gordon?

What about Jerryld Bayless. He has scored 30 pts three straight games.

Pretty recent article on Ricky Rubio (posted today)

[QUOTE]Ricky Rubio, 6-4, Point Guard, DKV Joventut, 1990
    12.5 points, 3.3 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 2.1 turnovers, 2.5 steals, 45% FG, 36% 3P, 83% FT, 24 minutes

Jonathan Givony

Joventut

Witness

ricky will be the best. he's already one of the best point guards in europe, top defender, at age 17, thats INSANE. his assist number is so low because of in spain the assists are counted in a different way (if the scorer dribbles or does something before putting the ball in the hole, its not an assist) so every player gets a lower number than in the nba. just look at calderon, he used to have 2 APG in the ACB, and now hes putting 10+ assists every game.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Younggrease
    OJ Mayo vs. USC

2-8 4pts 10 turnovers

dude was really overrated
    Did you watch the game at all or are you just posting a box score? I ask because I don't think anyone that watched the game would use it to drop his draft stock.
    Last edited by Da KO King; 02-18-2008 at 03:07 PM.

That game came on late at night...i watched some of it but faded. Last thing i remember Kevin Love hit a 3.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I'm glad this came back up, because I have to say that Gordon is starting to make me a little nervous. I know his wrist is hurt, but he seems to lack a lot in terms of breakdown ability. I'm not sure how much of it is just not having that snap off of that hand, or being able to comfortably come up with the ball with it, but it's a little troubling. I still think he's a sure thing for a long career, because of the shooting, but right now I'm afraid he's teetering between Mitch Richmond/Young Dale Ellis territory, and something closer to Tracy Murray. All the athleticism in the world doesn't mean anything if you don't have the ability to get near the hoop and use it. He's got the strength, but he seems a little sluggish. Early in the season, he was so hot from the perimeter, it makes it hard to get a good read on him.

I guess I'm a little higher on Rose than most. I agree that he's not a real PG, but there's too many Marbury, Francis, and even Gilbert's that have at least had personal success. His head seems to be screwed on straight, which should keep him from the pitfalls of first two, and in the right scheme, I could see him being a huge piece to a puzzle. He's got to get more control of himself, but he's too young for me to hold that against him. His upside is too big for me to pass up on him for any of these other guys at this point, and while I admit it's a gamble, no one else is a fool proof prospect. (I would however take Beasley ahead of him).

I've watched more Rubio stuff over the past few weeks, and had the same Pistol Pete thoughts. He must get stronger, or he'll be too easy to move off of his spot, and he doesn't have the frame to project that he'll do so naturally, so he'll have to work on it. And he does worry me in that I'm not sure how successfull he can be without being the focal point, much like Pistol, but because of that jumper and vision, if everything were to come together, he'd be the best of this group.

It's weird, this is a good deep class, but everyone has warts, and big ones. I think you you've got a lot of starters, and title calibur pieces, but I'm not sure there's a franchise player in this group (Although I'm waiting to see how Beasley measures, cause I don't buy the 6-8). The question with guys like that is how committed they are to the idea that they're franchise guys.

Billy Walker, a guy who's game I really wasn't fond of, has looked really good of late by the way.

Gordon doesn't seem to explode into and out of his moves off the bounce. I think he'll have a nice lengthy NBA career but I'm starting to think he's going to struggle a lot more than people realize early on.

Not a big fan of Rose, however I only have seen one game.

He seemed to force it unnecessarily at times, he reminded me of Devin Harris a bit which isnt a great thing for a potential top 3 pick.

I predict OJ Mayo will eventually have a Dwayne Wade type game/impact.

Local High School Star mrhoopfan's Avatar

Eric Gordon reminds me alot of Dajuan Wagner...i'm hoping EG can shoot at a 45% or higher clip in the NBA, I'm tired of guards shooting 35-41% from the field as pros

you forget Brandon Jennings, he is the next Allen Iverson, or an upgraded version of Kenny Anderson.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

In the beginning of the season, I was saying that--regretfully--Eric Gordon was the best player in the country. Now I'm amending that seeing how he isn't even the best player on his own team. That's DJ White. Watching them play against Purdue tonight only re-iterated that point.

The blue print to take Eric Gordon has been laid down. Once you put a guy as quick as him on the floor, he's stoppable. Chester Frazier, albeit an elite college defender, was able to stop him and take him out. I'm also beginning to think he's not mentally tough either. We got people getting into his skin and getting into his head that it takes him out of games too. I don't think he handles trash talking and just overall physical defense very well. Especially when he can't out tough the guy.

If I had to pick one guy, it'd be Derrick Rose. But truth is, none of these guys are ready for the NBA. They'd need 1 more season to get close, but we all know they're going to go regardless. It's almost sad cause while their talent level is high, they all have extremely huge holes in their games and parts that are not translatable to success in the NBA.

Local High School Star YAH trick YAH's Avatar

Gordon struggles against bigger guards, ala Calvin Brock and Brian Randle in both Illinois games. Hes a GREAT shooter though. He doesn't have that good of handle is another weakness he has. And I've heard that Jared Bayless may stay so he can play with Brandon Jennings next year.

I rule the local playground

I guess I'm in the minority but i like DRose the most. I have done a lot of research of him lately, I also have seen 18 of his games( i have them all on my Hard Drive if anyone wants to see them).

He does not have a very good jumper, and is a questionable decision maker, but IMO he has an ability to just turn it on, and take over a game, weather it be a key block, an key rebound, or a key drive to the basket. I really can't explain it, but he has some great intangibles. He also is a great finisher around the basket, and has a great feel for the game in the winding minutes(except for the game vs UAB which I admit he looked very bad at the end of the game especially).

He has the attitude of a champion(as do others), but what separates him from the others is him knowing what to do in those winding minutes of a game. He is also a good defender, and when he wants to (which is when the game is close, or at the end of the game) he can totally shut down his opponent. John Calipari has some glowing things to say about him as well.

I also disagree with Da KO King, he is definitely a PG in the NBA.
    Last edited by AlThornton; 02-19-2008 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlThornton
    I also disagree with Da KO King, he is definitely a PG in the NBA.
    Every guard under 6'5" comes into the NBA slotted to play the PG spot; doesn't make them all legit PG's.

Like the great Thorpesaurous once said, "The league has made a living converting undersized college SGs into PGs for the last 20 years..."

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    Every guard under 6'5" comes into the NBA slotted to play the PG spot; doesn't make them all legit PG's.

Like the great Thorpesaurous once said, "The league has made a living converting undersized college SGs into PGs for the last 20 years..."
    true, but DRose is a legit PG.

What makes you think he won't be one in the NBA? Ill give you questionable decision making, but that is sure to improve, i can almost guarantee it.