Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Nets 2016 Offseason Discussion Thread!

I like almost everything we've done this offseason, to be honest.

The Thad thing gave me some pause for sure, and ultimately the fact that they ended up going with LeVert at 20 after shopping Thad to the highest bidder made me realize that this was the guy they wanted no matter what.

I think he's had multiple foot surgeries (?), but for this guy to be the guy they take when he was a projected 2nd round pick at least gives me the confidence to know they have a vision for the team, and that even on a team-friendly deal, Thad wasn't a part of it. I think Young is a little bit overrated and undersized for his skill set, so I don't mind the move if Marks doesn't think he fits into what he's trying to build. At the very least, it doesn't feel like they're just throwing crap at a wall.

Haven't seen much of Whitehead but I'm hearing only good things about him as well. Love Tyler Johnson and I think he's really got upside to be a good PG in this league. I just worry if he gets caught being an Oladipo type offensively, not really having a true "position", but he's a phenomenal talent.

With Prok finally giving up on this ridiculous 5 years or bust thing, hopefully he gives the new regime some freedom to sort of start from the beginning. You ain't winning anytime soon against Cleveland and Golden Stacked anyway no matter what 2nd-tier FAs you bring in, so might as well aim to contend in a few years instead. Playing in Brooklyn is definitely something that could intrigue some guys if they're able to cobble together a respectable framework, so I think that should be their goal for now.

That and just putting a watchable product on the court. Being rid of Deron and Joe for a full season with their losing mindsets is totally liberating though as a person who wants to watch a fun team... go Nets.

umm so we are overpaying the likes of Johnson and Crabbe. Fine with me considering we were way under the salary floor and needs to sign some FAs to make it up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
    umm so we are overpaying the likes of Johnson and Crabbe. Fine with me considering we were way under the salary floor and needs to sign some FAs to make it up there.
    Eh, looks like the Crabbe thing isn't happening anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ScalsFan21
    Eh, looks like the Crabbe thing isn't happening anyway.
    Which is unfortunate because I'm a huge fan of him. I think he could really break out here. But it's okay. Still some solid FA's on the board

   

so the nets are letting go of markel brown. i'm disappointed, since he can do some nice things on the court... plus its usually after the first year or two that players make their greatest improvement. $1mil isn't much to pay, and now that we have a d-league team, he could have gotten some serious burn there while showing off his (theoretical) improvements.

so yeah, the nets are making some nice signings and all, i just wish there wasn't this 'out with the old' mentality just for the sake of getting rid of the old. or at least, that's what it seems like when it comes to young and brown.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    so the nets are letting go of markel brown. i'm disappointed, since he can do some nice things on the court... plus its usually after the first year or two that players make their greatest improvement. $1mil isn't much to pay, and now that we have a d-league team, he could have gotten some serious burn there while showing off his (theoretical) improvements.

so yeah, the nets are making some nice signings and all, i just wish there wasn't this 'out with the old' mentality just for the sake of getting rid of the old. or at least, that's what it seems like when it comes to young and brown.
    I'm with you. I thought he would have been the only exception of getting rid of the old. He can at least go out there and hustle. could have gotten some minutes. Oh well.

I think Crabbe's contract is way overpaid. His market value is 4yr/$60m, but 4 yr/$70m is acceptable. 4 yr/$75m is too much, he doesnt deserve to get paid $19m a year. But well I guess we have to reach the salary floor, so the FO decided to overpay him.

I don't mind the extra 5 million. He's young with potential. Can't wait to see what he can do if with starting minutes if the Blazers don't match.

I like the kid. Could develop into a Wes Matt type, high-end 3 and D skills. Signing would look a lot better to me if we had a franchise player or something but we gotta start somewhere I guess.

Hoping Portland and Miami both pass on matching the offer sheets really. Start loading up on young talent now and hopefully we'll be in position to compete in a few years after the 6th consecutive Cavs/Warriors Finals.

   

seems like it's taking forever for the other teams to match / decline crabbe and johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    seems like it's taking forever for the other teams to match / decline crabbe and johnson.
    Both players are being paid a lot of money.. Both are probably not gonna start on the heat or Blazers so they really gotta think about if it's worth it. They are both young with potential so it's tough.

   

but what if i told you that i just like crabbin' about johnson?

So the Nets have a lot of cap space...

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

why did they sign vasquez? they could have gone after Gerald green ? you guys have Whitehead already who is think will surprise a lot. so no need for another combo guard. I wonder if prok will hit a big free agent next year considering there are a lot of players out there that can be a difference maker.

Quote Originally Posted by veilside23
    why did they sign vasquez? they could have gone after Gerald green ? you guys have Whitehead already who is think will surprise a lot. so no need for another combo guard. I wonder if prok will hit a big free agent next year considering there are a lot of players out there that can be a difference maker.
    In like the Vasquez signing. Whitehead might be nice but then again he's never played in an NBA game before and he was a second round pick. We should let him ease into it and give Lin someone more reliable to back him up.