Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default Why Carmelo Anthony is not the best scorer in the game.

I've noticed a recent spurt of incredibly pro-Melo threads and comments. I wouldn't take issue with them (you can like whoever you want), but when inaccurate, unfounded and downright wrong statements are made as though they are true.... it needs to be rectified.

The main argument I see for Melo being the best scorer in the NBA is the fact that he is the most versatile on offense and has a large amount of moves. And, I'll give Melo supporters that, for the volume he shoots and from the amount he does so on the perimeter, I have no problem with Melo's efficiency (except in the playoffs when it takes a nose dive). However, whenever someone brings up Durant, it'll be that Durant doesn't have a post game (as both have a strong iso and jump shooting game)

Let's investigate this further.

According to synergy stats (including both RS & PS in 12/13), Durant had 1.04ppp (points per possession) on 51.8% efficiency from the post.

In contrast, Melo had 0.92ppp on 43.2% efficiency.

Granted, Durant shot 88/170 while Melo was 150/347, so Melo shot a lot more which will lower his efficiency. I'm not for one second suggesting that Durant is a better post player than Melo (he's not), but even if we assume that the difference in efficiency is offset by the difference in volume, that does not mean Durant is that much worse of a post player than Melo is. On the contrary, Durant has made real head way in his post game this season, and this is evident by watching just a few OKC games.

No, the real difference comes from the fact that Melo is incapable of finishing at the rim.

In the RS and PS, Melo shot 246/458 on .537 at the rim and 185/388 on .477 from layups. For comparison, here's the other elite scorers in the league:

Durant: 259 /351 on .738 at the rim and 132/217 .608 from layups

LeBron: 503/665 on .756 at the rim and 330/488 on .676 from layups

34 year old Kobe: 233/336 on .693 at the rim and 188 /296 on .635 from layups

Ignoring LeBron's really ridiculous conversion stats, it still becomes evident that even shooting at a similar volume at the rim and from layups, Melo simply sucks from that range. It gets even worse in the playoffs when his layup making ability dipped ot 30%, but I'll concede that he had some tough calls going against him in Indiana from what I can remember.

To really bring home this discrepancy, Tony Allen - widely considered to be one of the worst finishers at the rim in the game - 231/406 on .569 at the rim, and 178/340 on .524 from layups. Slightly less volume than Melo but slightly better efficiency. Ask yourself this: can the best scorer in the game be in the same vicinity of converting shots in such a critical area of the court as the offensively inept Tony Allen? The only person who you can compare Melo to which will result in a favourable outlook for Melo in this area is Omer Asik.

Now, before some of you Melo apologists resort to the 'he doesn't get any calls!' excuse, there is no amount of biased treatment in the world that could create that large of a distinction in efficiency (with comparable volume) between Melo and Durant, LeBron & Kobe. None.

This season, Melo took the 5th most FGA a game (7.6 compared to Durant at 9.3, Kobe at 8.0 and LeBron at 7.0). I'll give you that Durant gets a lot of calls, but Melo isn't exactly a player that lives in the paint either - so it'd be asinine to attribute such a difference purely to calls.

No, the best scorer in the game is not Carmelo Anthony. I maintain that it's Durant (because of his ridiculous efficiency even taking a lot of perimeter shots). Or, if you want to make an argument for versatility, then make it for Kobe Bryant. Even at the age of 34, he has is easily as versatile as Melo is from the perimeter, and he actually has the ability to make layups and close range shots.

Finally, in direct response to another thread, Melo is certainly not the best offensive player either. Offense is composed of playmaking too... and it's best we leave it at that.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Default Re: Why Carmelo Anthony is not the best scorer in the game.

Great post. Melo is not close to being the best scorer in the game TODAY. Let alone All Time like some delusional posters claim.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Would also like to point out that Melo is a considerably worse play-maker than Lebron KD and Kobe as well.

Banned

Bottom line:

In the regular season, when teams do little to no gameplanning, Carmelo can get by playing low-IQ basketball. When everything is ratched up in the playoffs, and teams go out of their way to stop him, he is too dumb to understand how to adapt. So he just tries to force his square peg game into the round playoff hole.

If you watch guys like Durant and Dirk, when the playoffs come around, they take advantage of teams loadin up on them to make it easier for teammates to get off. Carmelo on the other hand continues to just make his teammates stand aside and watch him chuck and miss.

Hes just extremely low IQ. His talents are "ESPN Cool" rather than "Playoff Useful"

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

WayOfWade
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Being the most versatile doesn't mean the best. If a guy gets to 30 points doing all sorts of Post moves, slashing, dunks, 3's, is he any better or more efficient than the guy who just FT's his way to 30? No, they both arrived at the same point total through different means.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Durant plays with fcking Russell Westbrook, who takes a ton of defensive pressure off him. Go look at his efficiency after RW went down in the playoffs. His last game he shot 5 for 21.

Go look at his whole career. His first year he shot .517 TS%. His second year with RW it went to .577, and over .600 every year after that.

For as much shit as RW gets from people, he does so much to get Durant easy baskets. Melo never had a player on Westbrook's level taking defensive pressure off him.

His playoff inefficiency really is disappointing for such a top scorer in the game. Agreed that he's certainly not the best offensive player.

The only difference I can see from guys like Allen and Asik is that they face less defensive pressure and double teams. However, that would not explain why Anthony scorers less efficiently than his superstar counterparts.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

I also hate the versatility argument. It's like saying Pau Gasol is a better scorer than Shaq.

Quote Originally Posted by WayOfWade
    Being the most versatile doesn't mean the best. If a guy gets to 30 points doing all sorts of Post moves, slashing, dunks, 3's, is he any better or more efficient than the guy who just FT's his way to 30? No, they both arrived at the same point total through different means.
    I agree, I'm just squashing the argument that Melo is the best scorer even if we assume that the title goes to most versatile.

For me, I value efficiency and output in scoring, so Durant is the best scorer in the game IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Durant plays with fcking Russell Westbrook, who takes a ton of defensive pressure off him. Go look at his efficiency after RW went down in the playoffs. His last game he shot 5 for 21.

Go look at his whole career. His first year he shot .517 TS%. His second year with RW it went to .577, and over .600 every year after that.

For as much shit as RW gets from people, he does so much to get Durant easy baskets. Melo never had a player on Westbrook's level taking defensive pressure off him.
    damn...can someone get Durant stats w/o Westbrook?

Local High School Star SpurrDurr's Avatar

Can't compare Melo with Durant, Kobe and Lebron.

You can compare Melo with Jennings, Ellis, OJ Mayo etc...

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Best scorers:

1. Kevin Durant
    2. LeBron James
    3. Carmelo Anthony

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker

At least Hibbert is a great player.

Lebron got blocked by a midget

Last edited by Sarcastic; 07-31-2013 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    I also hate the versatility argument. It's like saying Pau Gasol is a better scorer than Shaq.
    Same thing with the all-time ranking debates. People fall in love with the all-around, versatile players.