Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA All-star

Default Re: Will this be the first year LeBron doesn't lead his team in scoring?

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    If you think about it, sometimes you have to see your shooter in the corner, know he'll get a good (but not great) look, and show him you trust him. Every play becomes its own mind game.

Of course, the opponent is playing mind games as well. A game within a game if you will.

Then the media plays games based on the games you played within the games, which in turn carry suggestions into the next game... in the back of your mind, whether you accept it or not.

At some point, every star player has to say "ENOUGH!!!" with the games, and get down to business.
    I'm pretty sure assists aren't mind games. as for clutch time statistics and how that measures a player's value.

it's not know he'll get a good look, it's knowing he'll make what seems as a good look to others into a great look. trust don't make shots, confidence don't make shots, and opportunities are limited.

I'm sure someone of your wisdom would know that when star has to say "enough" it isn't that I'm gonna start doing the scoring myself, but that some player just gotta go.

Default Re: Will this be the first year LeBron doesn't lead his team in scoring?

Quote Originally Posted by GimmeThat
    I'm pretty sure assists aren't mind games. as for clutch time statistics and how that measures a player's value.

it's not know he'll get a good look, it's knowing he'll make what seems as a good look to others into a great look. trust don't make shots, confidence don't make shots, and opportunities are limited.

I'm sure someone of your wisdom would know that when star has to say "enough" it isn't that I'm gonna start doing the scoring myself, but that some player just gotta go.

If my shooter is open and i dont give him the ball, his role is in question. If i dont think hes good, is he actually good? Maybe he wants to prove me wrong. We share a locker room, but not a home. These are still men doing their job.

A broken play... or even a well-executed play against great defense... this is what i want you to imagine. Trust and confidence don't make shots... shooters make shots. But trust/confidence issues can miss shots if it is lacking. The psychological game is ALWAYS at work... the key is to become active with it, not just a pawn.

To say "ENOUGH" is to see your goal as not just the main idea, but the whole idea. Whether it means you have the game of your life, or you simply go after it. You have to believe in your purpose and stop trying to create it, but let it live through you.

NBA All-star

If my shooter is open and i dont give him the ball, his role is in question. If i dont think hes good, is he actually good? Maybe he wants to prove me wrong. We share a locker room, but not a home. These are still men doing their job.

A broken play... or even a well-executed play against great defense... this is what i want you to imagine. Trust and confidence don't make shots... shooters make shots. But trust/confidence issues can miss shots if it is lacking. The psychological game is ALWAYS at work... the key is to become active with it, not just a pawn.

To say "ENOUGH" is to see your goal as not just the main idea, but the whole idea. Whether it means you have the game of your life, or you simply go after it. You have to believe in your purpose and stop trying to create it, but let it live through you.
    the bolded part just means your role is in question until again, the shooter proves he isn't a shooter. (don't be surprised, not every NBA player who has ever taken the court time are actual shooters)

the italic part, I'm pretty sure fatigue makes a stronger factor than trust/confidence, unless you believe that there are players that can make 100% of the shot they take

the underline part, how do you say enough and let something live through you? that's not even passive aggressive, that's like saying the best (way to express) aggression is passiveness. as to expanding your main idea into whole idea, I'm pretty sure that means more.

No need for him to go all out with this team. He can play the role of playmaker and 'fill in the blanks' scoring when needed, and let Kyrie carry the lead PPG role. Playoff time is when you'll see numbers more on par with what you expect in seasons past.

Quote Originally Posted by spidey102279
    20.5 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 9.5 apg at 50% shooting in just 14.5 shots per game is still a Beast number though.

I think he will finish the reg season averaging 25 ppg, 9 rpg, 9 apg... He will step up his scoring after the All Star Break..
    Lebron never averaged above 8.0 rebounds or 8.6 assists, he wont end up the year with numbers above that. i do belive in a 24/25 ppg 8 assts 7 rebounds on great efficiency. Its still amazing numbers

Quote Originally Posted by GimmeThat
    the bolded part just means your role is in question until again, the shooter proves he isn't a shooter. (don't be surprised, not every NBA player who has ever taken the court time are actual shooters)
    In this hypothetical, I'm LeBron James - so my role is never in question. I do as I please.

the italic part, I'm pretty sure fatigue makes a stronger factor than trust/confidence, unless you believe that there are players that can make 100% of the shot they take
    Fatigue effects every player though. If your job is to stand in the corner and shoot, and you don't get the chance when you think you have it, your team chemistry is called into question, and you will probably have trouble getting into rhythm.

the underline part, how do you say enough and let something live through you? that's not even passive aggressive, that's like saying the best (way to express) aggression is passiveness. as to expanding your main idea into whole idea, I'm pretty sure that means more.
    I'm not talking about passive-aggressiveness... I'm talking about letting the game come to you. If you are still playing "games" you may try to score more because you are concerned with how you are perceived. But if you think you can be more of a winner without as much scoring, and you say "ENOUGH", maybe you can shed your concerns about your "role" and just play. Let your purpose live through you.

Quote Originally Posted by TiagoSimoes
    Lebron never averaged above 8.0 rebounds or 8.6 assists, he wont end up the year with numbers above that. i do belive in a 24/25 ppg 8 assts 7 rebounds on great efficiency. Its still amazing numbers
    That doesn't really matter. If he can put up 29 and 8 assists on a team with the 'firepower' of those Cavs, he should be able to get 9 assists a game with a reduced scoring load and more offensive options around him. If he doesn't stay at above 9 rebounds a game, its because he's got guys like Thompson and Love who are very good rebounders themselves, not due to lack of ability to do so. He easily has the size and athleticism and couple that with playing closer to the basket on a more regular basis.

3-time NBA All-Star

I could see him go for the triple double. He's currently at 20/10/10 and if he stays at that, it will probably be a very overrated accomplishment just because of the how it looks visually and it's rarity. It would be one of his least impressive seasons. Impressive regardless, but probably not even in his top 7 or so and it probably wouldn't be in a lot of great players top 5-7. 27/7/7 like Lebron has been doing for most of his career is more impressive to me. I guess you can say 20/10/10 is more suitable for this current team, but that doesn't make it more impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    I could see him go for the triple double. He's currently at 20/10/10 and if he stays at that, it will probably be a very overrated accomplishment just because of the how it looks visually and it's rarity. It would be one of his least impressive seasons. Impressive regardless, but probably not even in his top 7 or so and it probably wouldn't be in a lot of great players top 5-7. 27/7/7 like Lebron has been doing for most of his career is more impressive to me. I guess you can say 20/10/10 is more suitable for this current team, but that doesn't make it more impressive.
    I strongly disagree. 20 points and 10 assists is superior to 27 points and 7 assists in today's 3pt-oriented league. Also, averaging 10 assists from the forward position is remarkable.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Are you seriously trying to throw shade on averaging a triple double?

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Are you seriously trying to throw shade on averaging a triple double?
    It's unbelievable how much people overvalue scoring when it comes to analyzing individual players. Undervaluing the other major statistics, especially assists, and severely undervaluing things which don't appear on box scores, such as defense, are what lead to such ridiculous notions as we had last year about how Steph Curry was better than LeBron, or was having a GOAT-tier peak. People see scoring with high efficiency, and they are simply blinded by it.

Yes it does. As the leader of a team, your main goal is to get your team to perform at their peak every night. Doing extra things or even laying back a little to help your team succeed is much more valuable than scoring more just because it looks better to you on a stat sheet.

3-time NBA All-Star

I strongly disagree. 20 points and 10 assists is superior to 27 points and 7 assists in today's 3pt-oriented league. Also, averaging 10 assists from the forward position is remarkable.
    Position is irrelevant. Even if you want to go by some "points responsible" type metric the difference is minimal and the flawed logic there is that the guy making the assist would deserve 100% of the credit for each assist, when they shouldn't especially with 3s which is probably the most difficult shot to make that would also achieve an assist.

Quote Originally Posted by MP.Trey
    Yes it does. As the leader of a team, your main goal is to get your team to perform at their peak every night. Doing extra things or even laying back a little to help your team succeed is much more valuable than scoring more just because it looks better to you on a stat sheet.
    Even from a mathematical standpoint, in today's 3pt-oriented league, 3 assists is more valuable than 7 points. It just is.

Position is irrelevant. Even if you want to go by some "points responsible" type metric the difference is minimal and the flawed logic there is that the guy making the assist would deserve 100% of the credit for each assist, when they shouldn't especially with 3s which is probably the most difficult shot to make that would also achieve an assist.
    I'm glad that you're having a rational debate with me about this, but honestly, if you really believe 27/7/7 is better than 20/10/10, then you're pretty dull and I'm not really interested in debating it.