Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910
    Local High School Star SunsCaptain's Avatar

Default Re: Ranking the best NBA point guards, summer of 2011

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNashMVPcro
    1) Passing - Good but not elite
    2) Court vision - Good but not elite
    3) Shooting - Improved a little but still needs to work on it
    4) Being smarter and not taking bad shots
    and how is he then the best pg in the league?This 4 things are what I want from my PG
    Nash-best passer in the NBA(2nd best ever-just not far behind Magic-IMHO he's beter than magic in half court passing-and yeah he led the NBA last year in APG with his 2nd best player in Gortat),best court vision,best shooter among PG's ever(top 5 all time shooter),highest basketball IQ in the league,50% fg shooter when healthy,he can finish with both hand equaly good at the rim,good ballhandler,clutch,one of the best leaders in the NBA
    but yes he is 38,white,short,slow,can't jump and can't dunk -but he was like than when he was 31

Steve Nash isnt slow and he has hops and CAN dunk. But he stated he never would. It is utterly pointless to do for a PG especially one with Nash's scoring and passing ability. If you watch Steve Nash play he like to run base line and then maybe curl into the center of the key looking for passing options if none are available he will take a simple lay-up or short fadeaway. To dunk as a PG means you are thinking in your head the whole time "I am going to dunk it" You put your head down and crash to the rim and try to get the ball in the hoop for personal glory. Thats not how Nash plays. He doesnt care about looking good even if he has a wide open lane he wont dunk it. He just likes to be efficient. Remember leaving your feet is bad for passing...So Nash makes the defense looks stupid as he runs circles on them in the paint and has the option for a lay-up. Also Dunks are pointless for a PG because it is a risk for injury that is not needed.

Made that high school varsity squad JaskoX1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barrett
    1. Raymond Felton 2. Steve Nash 3. Andre Miller 4. Chris Paul 5. Nolan Smith 6. Russell Westbrick 7. Patty Mills 8. Deron Williams 9. Jrue Holiday 10. Armon Johnson
    Actually don't have a problem with this list other then Russell Westbroke.

also feel that Mike Conley, Jr needs some consideration in these top 10 lists.

Banned

Default Re: Rank the top 10 point guards in the NBA

Quote Originally Posted by Batz
    1. Deron Williams - Definately the best all around point guard in the league. He can destroy defenses in so many ways and then hold his own on the other end. Definately for me the complete package as far as a franchise-run point guard.

2. Chris Paul - Don't get me wrong, Paul here is one of my most favorite players, he's the complete package aswell, but with crappy bubble wrap. We saw how late in the Lakers series, he became almost completely ineffective when the LA took away the Hornet's PNR team. He faded and didn't even bother to adjust. A healthy Paul probably would've done better yes, but till I see otherwise, right now he's just not the best point guard in the NBA.

3. Derrick Rose - I placed the MVP, and my top 3 favorite player at 3 simply because I don't believe he's a better point guard when comparing to Deron and Paul. Though I do think he is more dominant, however his defensive short comings, low efficiency, lack of a consistent shooting touch, aswell as an inferior passing skill set when comparing to the two guys above, are the reasons why I put Rose at 3rd place.

4. Steve Nash - I hate putting this guy so low, but his defense is completely atrocious. And I'm Canadian, aswell as a huge Nash fan. An elite shooter, arguably the best, great passer with unique and out of this world court vision and the unmatched durability - puts the old man at 4th place.

5. Russel Westbrook - He definitely, definitely, the best all around player on the list given, definitely the best defender.. He can do just about everything, maybe except shooting threes, but there's also another flaw, his point guard skills. He can pass, but not that well. We saw him exposed in the playoffs continuously, whether it be screwing up the pass or play, or simply not passing/running the play at all. He tries to run the show too much, not that great of a shot selection, and his court vision is noticeably blurred. He's a point guard, but at random times, he's not.

6. Rajan Rondo - Never liked the guy but he's good. Really good defender, unmatched hustle, and play making abilities to the likes of Steve Nash, and doesn't need an offensive system to flourish in, despite what some people try to negatively shove down your throat. Though he does not have a jump shot, nor does he have the free throw touch. Which is a must in a point guard, especially when a jump shot is what holding Rondo from being a poor mans Steve Nash to possibly the best and most unique guard in the league today.

7. Tony Parker - A scoring point guard who still has the traditional point guard skill set in him. I always believed he could've been more than 20/7 type player, even before his 55 point eruption. I don't know why he didn't live up to such potential maybe a more consistent jumper? No one held him back, atleast that's what it seemed. Though a really talented scorer, especially in the paint, 7th place is fitting for a former finals MVP.

Jason Kidd - The old man is very underrated. As if he has camouflaged with the hardwood. Still is the same player, just at a much slower pace, minus the scoring - for the greater good. One thing that still stands out about him other than his elite passing ability and sudden shooting touch is his defense. It startles me when I don't see people pointing out that somehow this grandpa is holding his ground against players like Kobe Bryant and Dwyane Wade. Especially in Finals, I saw him on several possessions make Wade struggle. This guy is still a top 10 point guard for me. And should be for everyone.

9. Chauncey Billups - A healthy Billups can turn a team around, we've all seen it happen, and I do believe it would be the same for knicks. If he didn't make a pullup transition three his #1 move in the arsenal, he could've been higher. But his defense, leadership and clutchness keeps him in my top

10. John Wall - A bright, bright future. Honestly, the guy is experience and a jump shot away from being in the status of the likes of Rose. It's almost undeniable. Though I hate putting him here just out of potential, as you could've put someone like Curry here aswell. I just believe that Wall will infact have a better and more successful career.

Dead Last. Jose Calderon - Seriously sickens me how much this guy sucks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGmOlANxMig
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jn87CTrJUU&NR=1
    How the f*ck does that happen?
    Excellent post!!!

My Top 6 matches yours. After that it's really a toss up for vets like Kidd, Parker, Wall and so forth.

Wall will be in the top 5 after next season

Quote Originally Posted by SunsCaptain
    Steve Nash isnt slow and he has hops and CAN dunk. But he stated he never would. It is utterly pointless to do for a PG especially one with Nash's scoring and passing ability. If you watch Steve Nash play he like to run base line and then maybe curl into the center of the key looking for passing options if none are available he will take a simple lay-up or short fadeaway. To dunk as a PG means you are thinking in your head the whole time "I am going to dunk it" You put your head down and crash to the rim and try to get the ball in the hoop for personal glory. Thats not how Nash plays. He doesnt care about looking good even if he has a wide open lane he wont dunk it. He just likes to be efficient. Remember leaving your feet is bad for passing...So Nash makes the defense looks stupid as he runs circles on them in the paint and has the option for a lay-up. Also Dunks are pointless for a PG because it is a risk for injury that is not needed.

Michael Jordan of ISH

Paul
    Williams
    Nash
    Rose
    Westbrook

Quote Originally Posted by 28renyoy
    Paul
    Williams
    Nash