Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default The NBA disaster draft rules.

If something terrible happens to kill or disable at least 5 players of a team(plane crash...bus crash...something awful) a rule is in place to allow the team to rebuild quickly.

Every NBA team selects 5 players to protect and leaves the rest exposed to a disaster draft to fill the roster of the impacted team. Say...they lose 8 players...they can draft 8...but only one from any team.

When you look at rosters...what do you even get?

Even teams like the Cavs and Warriors....

Cavs protect Lebron, Kyrie, Love, TT, Jr Smith...and....who? Shump maybe? You arent getting anyone from them who matters. Mo Williams maybe.

Warriors have nothing of note after their top 5....

They protect the big 4...then Iggy....you might get a shot at David West or Zaza?

You could add good role players I guess....and it would really add to your depth if somehow you only lost the end of your roster and got to add the 8 best role players in basketball. By the way...that was gonna be the premise of a truly terrible hypothetical scenario I thought up and decided was too outrageous to flesh out.

Anyway you just give them improved depth I guess but nothing to recover from something like that. They should also get the #1 pick the next season like the NFL gives in its disaster draft.

Maybe even 1-2-3. How would that be too much if your team lost like...9 players and had a roster of 6th men?

It could be worse than that really. The Lakers once had to crash land into a snow covered corn field in like 1960. And the Bulls cabin depressurized riding in a shitty plane in I think 95/96.

A roster full of Zazas and Ish Smiths wouldnt cut it.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Re: The NBA disaster draft rules.

dark yet interesting thread

lets hope peeps can keep it clean...

It would be awful but you cant expect teams to give up their best players.

Its awful but there is good reason to have the rules in place. This is a crazy world. The way the world is now if im an owner I dont know if I even want my guys going to the Olympics. Speaking of which...if..

You know what? You ever feel awful just thinking of a hypothetical? I just did....but its still a legit question.

What happens if some maniac blows up an olympic event?

If its team USA no single team would lose enough players to trigger the disaster draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Its awful but there is good reason to have the rules in place. This is a crazy world. The way the world is now if im an owner I dont know if I even want my guys going to the Olympics. Speaking of which...if..

You know what? You ever feel awful just thinking of a hypothetical? I just did....but its still a legit question.

What happens if some maniac blows up an olympic event?

If its team USA no single team would lose enough players to trigger the disaster draft.
    then you'd just have to deal with it. you'd have cap space

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    It would be awful but you cant expect teams to give up their best players.

Best...maybe not. 5 though?

Eh.

How about top 3?

3 feels like enough. Plus you can only lose one player per team.

The warriors would clearly lose either Klay or Dray. Them aside....nobody has a 4th best player of note. The heat would had Wade stayed....you might get Dragic or Wade....or Bosh if they leave him unprotected because of his medical issues.

Anyway...I just feel like giving the city/team a gang of scumbags is a bit cold.

Its terrible to think of...but someone had to have this meeting. It was discussed...and someone came to the number 5. I just think thats a couple too many.

NBA expansion draft, you can protect 7
    Last edited by bigkingsfan; 07-24-2016 at 06:29 PM.

PG - Shaun Livingston
    SG - Dion Waiters
    SF - Shabazz Muhammad
    PF - Jeff Green
    C - Bismack Biyombo -or- Al Jefferson -or- Robin Lopez

If something terrible happens to kill or disable at least 5 players of a team(plane crash...bus crash...something awful) a rule is in place to allow the team to rebuild quickly.

Every NBA team selects 5 players to protect and leaves the rest exposed to a disaster draft to fill the roster of the impacted team. Say...they lose 8 players...they can draft 8...but only one from any team.

Cavs protect Lebron, Kyrie, Love, TT, Jr Smith...and....who? Shump maybe? You arent getting anyone from them who matters. Mo Williams maybe.

They protect the big 4...then Iggy....you might get a shot at David West or Zaza?

You could add good role players I guess....and it would really add to your depth if somehow you only lost the end of your roster and got to add the 8 best role players in basketball. By the way...that was gonna be the premise of a truly terrible hypothetical scenario I thought up and decided was too outrageous to flesh out.

Anyway you just give them improved depth I guess but nothing to recover from something like that. They should also get the #1 pick the next season like the NFL gives in its disaster draft.

Maybe even 1-2-3. How would that be too much if your team lost like...9 players and had a roster of 6th men?

It could be worse than that really. The Lakers once had to crash land into a snow covered corn field in like 1960. And the Bulls cabin depressurized riding in a shitty plane in I think 95/96.

You named 6 players here. LeBron, Kyrie, J.R., Love, Thompson and Iman.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Your team is going to probably suck. I'll go through a few...

Warriors protect Durant, Curry, Klay, Draymond, Iggy -- I'd take Shaun Livingston.

Cavs protect LeBron, Kyrie, Love, TT, JR -- I'd take Iman Shumpert.

Celtics protect Horford, Thomas, Crowder, Bradley, Brown -- I'd take Marcus Smart.

Pacers protect George, Turner, Teague, Ellis, Jefferson -- I'd take Thad Young.

Hawks protect Schroder, Millsap, Howard, Bazemore, Korver -- I'd take rookie Taurean Prince or whoever out of the five I listed that they leave unprotected to keep him.

Hornets protect Walker, Batum, Williams, Kidd-Gilchrist, Zeller -- I'd take Frank Kaminsky.

Nuggets protect Gallinari, Faried, Murray, Mudiay, Jokic -- I'd take Jusuf Nurkic.

Blazers protect Lillard, McCollum, Turner, Crabbe, Leonard -- I'd take Al-Farouq Aminu.

Bucks protect Middleton, Antetokounmpo, Parker, Maker, Monroe -- I'd take Mirza Teletovic.

Thunder protect Westbrook, Adams, Oladipo, Kanter, Sabonis -- I'd take Andre Roberson.

Team is awful. I just picked 10 teams at pretty much random, btw... there may be some good ones out there not listed. Boston is a good one because they'd likely have to give up either their rookie, Smart or Bradley. That was the best situation I found. Portland is pretty good, too.