Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Jason Maxiell or Paul Milsap

Quote Originally Posted by geeWiz15
    same goddam player...
    what team does he play for when Detroit plays Utah?

Banned

what team does he play for when Detroit plays Utah?
    look at the NBA schedule more closely and you'll notice that Detroit never plays Utah and the 2 teams never overlap.

it's the greatest conspiracy in sports history

Myrrh

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    He has no skill outside of rebounding and offensively looks as though he's trying to find new ways to miss shots.
    Let me guess, you've never even seen him play, have you?

Banned

They've been practicing with Millsap at the small forward position... He acted like he didn't like it too much so far, but that's because he doesn't know the plays yet.

I don't know the other player well enough... but I think they'll find Millsap minutes... more of a 6th man role though, at least for a while

Millsap is gonna be a very good player in this league, and people are going to be surprised to find out he has an offensive game too.

NBA rookie of the year 04mzwach's Avatar

why isn't craig smith in this thread? he's similar and just as good if not better a player as well as a rookie last season.

offensively, craig smith will be the better player. he has a sweet jump shot, along with a hook that rolls in every time. he's a hard knock player just like milsap with better offensive game. second round pick my ass!

Maxiell: 5ppg, 2.8rpg, 14.1mpg
    Milsap: 5.9ppg, 4.4rpg, 18mpg
    Smith: 7.4ppg, 5.1rpg, 18.7mpg (he also played with the best rebounder in the game, a great offensive rebounder)

if you've seen him play, you know he's higher talent than the other two. he reminds me of charles barkley with a sweeter jump shot and even stronger and more athletic.
    Last edited by 04mzwach; 10-09-2007 at 03:36 AM.

How many games did each player appear in?

06-07 season

Milsap (rookie)
    82 games, 1 start
    6.8 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 18.0 mpg
    .8 spg, .9bpg

Maxiel (2nd year, his rookie stats aren't as good)
    67 games, 7 starts
    5.0 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 14.1 mpg
    .4 spg, .9 bpg

Smith (rookie)
    82 games, 5 starts
    7.4 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 18.7 mpg
    .6 spg, .2 bpg

I love Milsap. I saw him play in the summer league in person multiple times. His offense is improving, he had some game winers in the summer league, but he is still very awkward looking. In the NBA i don't think he will ever be more than the 4th option on the floor.

However, he makes his presence known better than most anyone. He defends anyone and comes up with the ball, he rebounds any bounce cause he's fast and has instincts, and is quick up and down the floor. His putbacks and fast breaks will be his offense with an ocasional post move or jump shot.

As for the others, can't say I have seen a lot of em.

why live??

Quote Originally Posted by 04mzwach
    Smith: 7.4ppg, 5.1rpg, 18.7mpg (he also played with the best rebounder in the game, a great offensive rebounder)
    Smith had no other rebounders on his team except KG. Millsap has to compete with Boozer, AK47 and Okur.

if you've seen him play, you know he's higher talent than the other two. he reminds me of charles barkley with a sweeter jump shot and even stronger and more athletic.
    So we should expect Craig Smith to better Charles Barkley's career?

Maxiell: 5ppg, 2.8rpg, 14.1mpg

Dude, where'd you get your numbers???? NBA.com has some different ones...

Banned

He has no skill outside of rebounding and offensively looks as though he's trying to find new ways to miss shots.
    didn't he play in a meager conference in college? that could explain it. it's his rookie year. his college career was spent posting up garbage, and now he's going against the best players in the world. anyone would be a little intimidated, especially if you're short, so he's overcompensating so he won't get blocked.

he has the skill, he's just unused to the level of competition. but even then, he scores at an above-average rate whenever he's on the floor. and he's shown every skill in the book at lower levels. I think as he grows comfortable he'll settle in and stop thinking too much.

Banned

so he's going to put up 32/17 next year, eh? time for a new player in the GOAT debate. why not.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by geeWiz15
    didn't he play in a meager conference in college? that could explain it. it's his rookie year. his college career was spent posting up garbage, and now he's going against the best players in the world. anyone would be a little intimidated, especially if you're short, so he's overcompensating so he won't get blocked.

he has the skill, he's just unused to the level of competition. but even then, he scores at an above-average rate whenever he's on the floor. and he's shown every skill in the book at lower levels. I think as he grows comfortable he'll settle in and stop thinking too much.
    You clearly have never seen Paul Milsap play prior to his making the Utah Jazz.

Milsap's inconsistent offense was one of the main reasons his stock fell prior to being drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    You clearly have never seen Paul Milsap play prior to his making the Utah Jazz.

Milsap's inconsistent offense was one of the main reasons his stock fell prior to being drafted.

The guy's offense is limited, looks awkward, but it is improving. He doesn't need to be any better than 4th option on the floor to be a starter on many teams though. Rebounding, Defense (man and block), Fast Break/Hustle is enough for him to role play for any team who already has scorers.

Ussually you give up speed for rebounding, or power for speed. Not in this case.