Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread:

Local High School Star robert_shaww's Avatar

Rings in Europe, rings in South America, 3 championship rings in the NBA, olimpic gold medal winning against USA, all star couple times, NEVER PLAYED FOR HIS NUMBERS OR SCOREBOARD, when healthy his team is nearly every single year in the west finals or the finals since 2003 (and spurs lost in 1st round when he was injured).

Always +50 wins in his carrer, always in the playoffs, amazing per36, clutch, good in every single aspect of the game, smart, fans love him, popovich says he is the greatest competitor ever....could have 2 or 3 more rings easily...very close of winning 5 or 6 instead of 3.

was the best player of his team in the 2005 nba finals against one of the best defensive teams ever...still winning and playing well at 37 against younger teams.

considering his complete carrer, i think he is one of the 50 greatest basketball players ever....and if he wins another ring this year, maybe top 40.
    Last edited by robert_shaww; 06-01-2014 at 10:24 PM.

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Default Re:

Yes.

Facts Are Misleading

Default Re:

I'll say this - I wouldn't take 50 players over him on my team.

Accolade wise he's probably not up there (only two All-NBA third team selections) or per game stats (15/4/4 career averages doesn't scream top 50) but he has sacrificed those things for the good of the team.

He never complains about shots. Never complains about playing time. Just competes his ass off. Does what is asked of him to help the team win.

#Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

Default Re:

Yes it goes beyond stats, he impacts the game like very few have in the last 20 years. Dudes a freak of nature and does not have to put up big numbers to win you a game.

Manu is the perfect example of why stats don't mean shit.

Default Re:

Yes.

Default Re:

He's clearly not better than Dominique Wilkins so not at lol. Lol at all the hipsters saying he is.

Default Re:

Hall of Famer too

Default Re:

Quote Originally Posted by atljonesbro
    He's clearly not better than Dominique Wilkins so not at lol. Lol at all the hipsters saying he is.
    Have you looked at Manu's and nique's accomplishments? Wilkins may have scored more points but Manu fills up the career achievements list.

Default Re:

In terms of playing his role, making the right decisions, and exceeding expectations? Yes.

But there are probably fifty players who I'd rather choose to build a franchise around. Don't forget they guy will probably retire playing 13 or so seasons, and a few of them really weren't that good. The other question is can he play big minutes?

Local High School Star Solid Snake's Avatar

Default Re:

Quote Originally Posted by andremiller07
    Yes it goes beyond stats, he impacts the game like very few have in the last 20 years. Dudes a freak of nature and does not have to put up big numbers to win you a game.

Manu is the perfect example of why stats don't mean shit.

Don't exaggerate. Say "stats aren't everything," or "stats don't tell the whole story." Don't say "it doesn't mean shit" as if stats have absolutely ZERO VALUE to the game, when in fact, stats is a quantifiable MEASUREMENT of precisely the impact you had on the game.

Local High School Star west_tip's Avatar

Default Re:

No and I say that as a big, big fan of his.

The reasons I say no are:
    a) very injury prone (missed lots of basketball games over the past decade but the Spurs are so deep that they have not been unduly affected)
    b) very streaky/inconsistent. He has had many clutch moments in his career but equally he has ****ed up in a fair few games as well. He could have iced game 6 of the Finals last year, in fact he had a bad series across the board and he cost the Spurs a series win v the Mavs in 2006 with a very silly foul on Dirk in game 7.
    c) His numbers aren't awe inspiring.

He has been excellent in his 3rd option/6th man role on a team with the GOAT PF and a top 5 PG but I'm not sure that translates to top 50 all time.
    Last edited by west_tip; 06-02-2014 at 12:14 AM.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Default Re:

I love Manu and any Spurs fan knows its a love hate relationship with this guy, probably couldn't ask for a better 6th man on the Spurs all these years and he is doing some great things right now at his age.

But he is not one of the 50 greatest to ever play.

NBA rookie of the year

Default Re:

Quote Originally Posted by atljonesbro
    nique belongs in the top 50 too. They need to drop some of the old timers that accumulated stats, awards and rings in weak eras like, mikan, cousy, etc.

If the list is based on talent they dont belong.

NBA rookie of the year

Default Re:

the top 50 list is not really a 50 best players ever list. It includes guys like mikan and cousy.

Its more of a top 50 most accomplished players list.

I mean lets be honest would mikan be better than splitter?

Default Re:

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake
    Don't exaggerate. Say "stats aren't everything," or "stats don't tell the whole story." Don't say "it doesn't mean shit" as if stats have absolutely ZERO VALUE to the game, when in fact, stats is a quantifiable MEASUREMENT of precisely the impact you had on the game.
    Stats in fact are shit, and have no value to the game.