Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Local High School Star DreamRockets's Avatar

Default Re: .

myabe your right, but i never liked drexler and thorpe was one of my favorite players so i was kinda pissed at the trade and had to blame clyde for something.

Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote Originally Posted by DreamRockets
    myabe your right, but i never liked drexler and thorpe was one of my favorite players so i was kinda pissed at the trade and had to blame clyde for something.
    thorpe is one of the underrated players of our era, just like you said in the players that will be forgotten thread. he's another player from that 84 draft who should have gone higher.

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

Default vs the two??

Quote Originally Posted by dejordan
    thorpe is one of the underrated players of our era, just like you said in the players that will be forgotten thread. he's another player from that 84 draft who should have gone higher.
    agreed

i am trying to remember any thorpe-drob or thorpe-hakeem showdowns though....

Saw a basketball once

Default Re: hakeem vs d. robinson

Quote Originally Posted by The Mamba
    Thank Ralph Sampson, and a better team for that. Hakeem played on some very good teams, from earlier in his career too. Robinson was stuck by himself until the mid to late 90's. .

First...Hakeem had one good team early. That was 1986. That was going to be a great team. Sampson got hurt the next year and was traded. Lou Lloyd, Mitchell Wiggens, and John Lucas were all thrown out of the league for using cocaine. (rumor has it you can thank Magic Johnson for that)
    Hakeem's great team was destroyed. He didn't have a really good chance of winning again until 1993 when the Rockets lost to Seattle in overtime game 7.

Hakeem was always a different player in the playoffs, he stepped his game up like few others. In 1986 he averaged 30 points a game against the Lakers in the Western Conference finals and 27 against the Celtics. One of the best back courts of all time.

I will say Hakeem and David in the regular season are close to equals with Hakeem having a slight edge. Robinson was a very good player, top 10 centers all time.

In the Playoffs, Hakeem elevated his game to an amazing level. Even early in his career.
    Robinson never took his game to the next level and in Sports, It's the Playoffs that matter the most. It's why you play the regular season.

Robinson lost (was destroyed) in a Legacy game. A game between two Giants at the height of their playing ability. Robinson lost huge and with it he lost his good name. He will never be seen as a top 5 center.

Playoffs mean everything. No one ever talks about regular season games of 10 years ago. I mean who cares...it's the regular season. It only matters that day and then it's over...move to the next game.

The playoffs though....they are forever. In every sport. We still here about the great victories like the Mets over the Red Sox in 1986, Jordan's shot of Craig Elho and we will always remember Dream owning D-rob. Playoffs are the stuff of legends!

So yeah...not even a contest. Hakeem all the way.

National High School Star SsKSpurs21's Avatar

where did you dig this thread out from?

anyways, Hakeem vs David Robinson is like Tim Duncan vs Kevin Garnett.

one was great in the regular season, the other was great when it matters most. the similarities are frightening.

Quote Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
    where did you dig this thread out from?

anyways, Hakeem vs David Robinson is like Tim Duncan vs Kevin Garnett.

one was great in the regular season, the other was great when it matters most. the similarities are frightening.
    Olajuwon was better than Robinson in BOTH the regular season AND playoffs.

Having watched all these centers, I fail to see how

D-Rob
    Hakeem
    Shaq
    Ewing

Can be distinguished as better than one another.
    All were all time great centers IMO, and hard to judge as to who was better.

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    Having watched all these centers, I fail to see how

D-Rob
    Hakeem
    Shaq
    Ewing

Can be distinguished as better than one another.
    All were all time great centers IMO, and hard to judge as to who was better.
    Tier 1

Shaq
    Hakeem

Tier 2

Robinson
    Ewing

Tier one leads their team to multiple championships as main man, tier 2 doesn't. And a greatest of greatest center SHOULD be able to do it. AND both Ewing and Robinson had good talent surrounding them.

I dont buy it. Different teams, different circumstances... I dont buy that Shaq/Hakeem are a tier above Robinson/Ewing.

Karl Malone's bastard TMac&Luther's Avatar

^

Whatever dude.

All four are awesome, unstoppable scorers in different ways.
    All four were great defenders (shaq not as much, but he was a great shot blocker/defensive rebounder).

All four are all time greats.

I doubt you have even seen them all in their prime, or 95% of ISH for that matter.

Local High School Star steve franchise's Avatar

It's obvious that Hakeem was better than D.Robinson.
    Robinson didnt win a championship until Duncan came. Hakeem didnt win a championship until Cassell, Horry came?
    In the season and playoffs Hakeem was better, he was a real hustler, that's why he's the number one shot blocker of alltime.
    I agree with the fact that Hakeem brought his game up in the playoffs, that's why David Robinson got owned, of course a little jealousy in the MVP award helped too.

In 95 Hakeem averaged 35.3 ppg in the series but Robinson, himself, almost average 30 ppg. The even more prominent fact was that a team led by Hakeem beat a team led by Robinson. THis is a poor way to rate the players.
    Robinson was a incredible player and six games in 1995 is not a fair basis of comparison.

Robinson 21.1 ppg, 10.6 rpg, 2.5 apg, .518% FG (14 Seasons)
    Olajuwon 21.8 ppg, 11.1 rpg, 2.5 apg, .512% FG (18 Seasons)

His career efficiency is slightly higher than Hakeems at 29.0 versus 28.0

People say that...
    1. Hakeem has two rings as a featured player, Robinson has two only as a complementary player
    2. Hakeem has a better post game then Robinson
    3. Hakeem outplayed Robinson head-to-head in their one playoff match up.

1. is true, but Duncan has more rings than Hakeem, so is he better? maybe, maybe not. Its not a fair way to judge.
    2. is false. It is a dead heat pretty much. There is no analytical way to prove one is better than the other.
    3. One series cannot be an over ruling judgement
    Last edited by G-train; 08-14-2007 at 02:56 AM.

Local High School Star steve franchise's Avatar

In 95 Hakeem averaged 35.3 ppg in the series but Robinson, himself, almost average 30 ppg. The even more prominent fact was that a team led by Hakeem beat a team led by Robinson. THis is a poor way to rate the players.
    Robinson was a incredible player and six games in 1995 is not a fair basis of comparison.

Robinson 21.1 ppg, 10.6 rpg, 2.5 apg, .518% FG (14 Seasons)
    Olajuwon 21.8 ppg, 11.1 rpg, 2.5 apg, .512% FG (18 Seasons)

His career efficiency is slightly higher than Hakeems at 29.0 versus 28.0

People say that...
    1. Hakeem has two rings as a featured player, Robinson has two only as a complementary player
    2. Hakeem has a better post game then Robinson
    3. Hakeem outplayed Robinson head-to-head in their one playoff match up.

1. is true, but Duncan has more rings than Hakeem, so is he better? maybe, maybe not. Its not a fair way to judge.
    2. is false. It is a dead heat pretty much. There is no analytical way to prove one is better than the other.
    3. One series cannot be an over ruling judgement
    HELLO? Are you aware of what Duncan had around him when he won those championships? Robinson, Elliot, Parker, Ginobili, S.Jackson.
    Put Hakeem in the team where Duncan was he'll make the Spurs a dynasty like Bostons'.

Dont tell me that Hakeem had quality players surrounding him like Robinson had, when he won the titles.

National High School Star

Regular season career averages are similar, accolades are similar, but when you go to the next level—the playoffs, Hakeem stepped up and got it done while Robinson did it, and worse yet, Hakeem got it done against Robinson when Robinson was MVP, his team had the league's best record and homecourt advantage. Hakeem showed he could lead teams to titles, Robinson couldn't, and didn't win until Duncan got there and he played a complementary role while Duncan was The Man. I don't understand the confusion. When regular season performance is similar, playoff performance and what you were able to do in the clutch in leading your team is the tiebreaker. That's make or break time, and what Hakeem did was the stuff of legends.

EDIT:
    In 95 Hakeem averaged 35.3 ppg in the series but Robinson, himself, almost average 30 ppg.
    Huh? Since when does 23.8 per game become "almost averaging 30?" Here's the rundown in case you forgot:

Hakeem: 35.3 points, 12.5 rebounds, 5 assists, 4.17 blocked shots and 1.33 steals per game, 56 percent shooting from the floor

Robinson: 23.8 points, 11.3 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 2.17 blocked shots and 1.5 steals per game, 44.9 percent shooting from the floor

The even more prominent fact was that a team led by Hakeem beat a team led by Robinson. THis is a poor way to rate the players.
    They faced each other in the playoffs head up, and they were each the leader of their respective teams. Robinson was the Most Valuable Player, had the league's best record and home court. Hakeem had a legendary playoff series and left the league MVP befuddled. Did you watch that series? None other than Wilt freaking Chamberlain said, “I don’t know if a center has ever had a better offensive series, myself included.”
    How is this a poor way to rate them when they went head-to-head on the biggest stage—both teams healthy, no excuses—and one completely embarrassed the other? Legacies are established in the playoffs.

He and Hakeem had the exact same opportunity, and Hakeem got it done while Robinson didn't. You play the game to win. And Hakeem had already won the year before, winning as close to single-handedly as anyone had since Rick Barry in '75.
    Last edited by ThaRegul8r; 08-14-2007 at 06:42 AM.