Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Mavericks Acquire Shawn Marion

PG-Jason Kidd | JJ Barea
    SG-Josh Howard | Jason Terry
    SF-Shawn Marion | Josh Howard
    PF-Dirk Nowitzki | Shawn Marion
    CT-Marcin Gortat | Erick Dampier
    This is another dumb move by Cuban. I find it pretty amazing that Cuban has totally destroyed his 06 Finals roster. Thats not even counting his trading of Nash to Pheonix. He first dealt away their young all-star PG that was suppose to be the future of the franchise. Howard never became the superstar that everyone was hoping he'd be and then Cuban sealed the fate of the team by firing Avery Johnson, which has the highest winning % ever by a head coach in NBA history. Now all the Mavs have is pretty much a plethora of forwards that can all do the same thing except dominate the paint. Marion was never a post up player and Howard should be played at the 3 rather than the 2, he feels way more comfortable there. And its' not like Dirk likes to take it to the paint all that often either. Its sad when your best post player is either Gortat, Bass or Dampier.

NBA Finals

Quote Originally Posted by triangleoffense
    This is another dumb move by Cuban. I find it pretty amazing that Cuban has totally destroyed his 06 Finals roster. Thats not even counting his trading of Nash to Pheonix. He first dealt away their young all-star PG that was suppose to be the future of the franchise. Howard never became the superstar that everyone was hoping he'd be and then Cuban sealed the fate of the team by firing Avery Johnson, which has the highest winning % ever by a head coach in NBA history. Now all the Mavs have is pretty much a plethora of forwards that can all do the same thing except dominate the paint. Marion was never a post up player and Howard should be played at the 3 rather than the 2, he feels way more comfortable there. And its' not like Dirk likes to take it to the paint all that often either. Its sad when your best post player is either Gortat, Bass or Dampier.
    Dirk is their best post player

Bye bye to Antoine Wright's minutes

Hating at it's finest

Nash wasn't traded he left in free agency. You can diss the move all you want but at least try and get your facts straight.

Hating at it's finest
    How is it hating? It's my own opinion that this was a dumb move by the Mavs... everything is still subjective until the regular season starts.

Nash wasn't traded he left in free agency. You can diss the move all you want but at least try and get your facts straight.
    Ah thats right, sorry my mistake. Either way... Cuban didn't want to hand out Nash the cash necessary because he thought Nash wasn't worth it.. Nash received the leagues MVP twice in Pheonix as well as leading them to what was then the best turnaround season ever in the NBA (currently belongs to the 08 Celtics).

Local High School Star Mr Know It All's Avatar

You know Dallas actually got BETTER when Nash left right? Devin Harris was never going to be the future of their franchise, hell he was a fourth option on a team that was quickly losing its will to compete. Howard was never expected to be anything more than a suitable 2nd option, the fact that he tried to be more than that actually created problems for the team and he became a black hole. Avery was simply not the right coach after the 2006 Finals, he was a motivator and good for a young team, but he was severely outcoached in 2007 and the team had tuned him out.

All in all, this post stinks of hate and anti-Mavs bias. This is a solid pickup. They got Marion, a good defensive player and someone who should be able to flourish with a PG like Kidd. Especially considering they gave up Stackhouse (Who is done and didn't play one minute for the Mavs during their playoff run). Depending on how Howard adjusts to playing at the 2 spot, this could be the move that puts the Mavericks back into contention into the West.

Local High School Star MrEncinas's Avatar

Looks like I'm in the minority but I like this move for the Mavs. Nice mix of perimeter and interior defense and they still have excellent offensive players in their rotation. Not saying this team is going to win it all but I believe they can certainly contend.

They have a nice running team going for them here. I hate the Mavs but they are going to be challenging for the Southwest division. Should be fun watching Mavs and Spurs duke it out.

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    Jason Kidd gets exposed by the quicker PG's...
    ALL PGs get exposed by the quicker PGs.

Local High School Star MrEncinas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    ALL PGs get exposed by the quicker PGs.

Wright and Stackhouse are both leaving in the deal apparently. And Dallas seems to be getting a bargain contract wise. 5 years about 39 million for Marion? What a steal...

Great pickup by the Mavs.

This was what JES from DB.com said the salary for Marion looked like:

2009-10 = $6,265,200
    2010-11 = $6,920,063
    2011-12 = $7,646,669
    2012-13 = $8,449,569
    2013-14 = $9,336,744
    Total........$38,615,575

All in all, this post stinks of hate and anti-Mavs bias.
    Why? Because I don't agree with your argument?

They got Marion, a good defensive player and someone who should be able to flourish with a PG like Kidd.
    His man to man defensive is ok... his help defensive is acceptable at best. Marion might be an ok fit but I just don't see him as the piece that puts Dallas into one of the western powerhouses. To truly become a title contender a team has to have no weaknesses from players 1-12. Look at how the Lakers are still aggressively pursuing Odom, their front office knows that chances are the Lakers are not going to get it done without Odom. When the Lakers won the finals this year they had players 1-12 step up in crucial points in their playoff run. Shannon Brown's energy off the bench is what turned the tide against Denver in Game 4 (or was it 5). Fisher's jumpers is what got the Lakers through game 4 of the Finals. Odom's play, although inconsistent is what propelled the Lakers through the playoffs when he was playing good. Ariza, Walton, Bynum, Farmer all contributed at various points in the playoffs as well as the finals.

The Mavs have too many issues. Howard is going to have to adjust to a position he's not use to. Jason Kidd is past his prime and can be a liability at times on defensive just like Fisher was.. the difference is that the Lakers have Brown and Farmer to make up for Fisher's defensive woes as well as his offensive woes. The Mavs have a bruiser at the C position in Dampier that will put in the dirty work but his age is becoming a big issue. Bass is another promising C/PF that looks like he has potential yet hasn't really stepped up for the Mavs when it really counted. Like I said already Dirk and Marion have no real inside game and really can't dominate the ball in the paint like the team needs them to.

I really like that kid Jason Terry though.. especially coming off the bench. He averaged 20 points off the bench last season and lead the team in 4th quarter scoring. Too bad they can't get a starting SG thats half as good as him.
    Last edited by triangleoffense; 07-09-2009 at 12:01 AM.