Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: Darrell Griffith. The first "modern" guard?

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    Actually, going by that notion I can recall Randy Smith, not as well known nor as good as a David Thompson but he was cut from the same cloth and playing already back in 1972.
    That's exactly who I was going to suggest. There's so little video of him that people just plain don't know who he is, but the guy could fly (there is a video on yotube of him dunking behind hs hed and hitting his head on the rim), could shoot from anywhere, did everything with flair. His performance in the 1978 All Star game (includng two amazing quarter-ending bombs)was unbelievable.

Based on style and skills, an argument could also be made for Walt Frazier, though he purposely never once dunked in an NBA game.
    Last edited by pudman13; 06-06-2014 at 03:54 PM.

20-4-3 54% TS doesn't scream all-star to me.

Charlie Scott another early modern 2 guard.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

In a lot of ways yes. Ive been collecting clips of him for like 10 years hoping to get enough one day to cover him.

Excellent Darrell Griffith highlights. Thanks for putting them together. It can't have been easy to find all those clips.

It's a shame he never lived up to expectations in the league, although he still had a handful of impressive seasons in the pros.

I'd agree with your assessment that he was one of the first modern guards. Certainly he was a lot more athletic than Earl Monroe, if not quite the dribbler. Griffith had similar athleticism to David Thompson but better range on his shot, thus making him more of a modern-day guard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phkh02wsPAg

Darrell playing with Stockton and Malone after his injury. You can tell he isnt the same guy...hes doing layups where he used to dunk it. But you can also see why I said the Darrell I watched was a good midrange shooter.

One of his last big games. He gave Drexler 40 a year or so later as well. That was ****ed up hairline Griff.

If he stayed healthy he might have been the extra guy the Jazz always needed. He retired at 32.

Prime or even slightly declined DG on the late 80s/early 90s Jazz would have been trouble. DG or Jeff Malone off the bench and Thurl chipping in?

They may have made their a finals run around 88 or 89.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

The only problem with his injury is that it occurred while he was holding out and they held it against him the rest of his career even starting the former 3rd string stiff Bobby Hansen ahead of him.

Jeff Malone sucked too! When they acquired him he was supposed to extend the defense so Karl could work down low. The guy's whole game was 10-15 feet. I would have gave him away and they were able to steal Horny for him!

Didn't have enough depth in '88. They should have beat the Lakers though. Choke!

Yea Jeff was a solid player but hes in the way on a team like the Jazz.

If they had healthy DG playing outside with Jeff coming off the bench when Karl went out they might have made some serious runs.