Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    owwwww

Default Re: Michael Jordan -- in his own words

I thought this was "his own words", what's with the Magic, West and phys-ed teacher quotes?

Nice SLAM interview. Love the stuff he said about Scottie

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

"Jordan combined the best traits of many players into one remarkable package. He was as mentally tough as anyone and played with great intensity from the first minute to the last...Ultimately, Jordan combined unbelievable talent with unbelievable competitiveness." -- Chuck Daly

"When Michael is hot, to say that he is unbelievable is an understatement." -- Dominique Wilkins

"You ain't got no chance while he's playing; He overtakes people with his mind. He's not out there playing basketball with his skills and his God-given talent. He's playing with his mind." -- Stephon Marbury

"Michael Jordan is the best who will ever play the game." -- Bob Knight

"It's just God disguised as Michael Jordan." -- Larry Bird

"I always thought Larry Bird worked harder than any other player...and...I never thought Michael, or anyone, could ever be as intense as Larry in terms of winning. But Michael is at least his equal in all those categories, besides being a superior athlete. Michael's the best player, without question, of all time." --Danny Ainge
    Last edited by Da_Realist; 10-21-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heilige
    Thanks! Is this magazine on sell?
    Yes. I don't know where you live but BarnesandNoble and Borders should have it on the shelves. There's much more in the magazine, of course, but I tried to get out all the interesting things I hadn't heard or read before...until my hand grew numb from the typing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    I thought this was "his own words", what's with the Magic, West and phys-ed teacher quotes?

Nice SLAM interview. Love the stuff he said about Scottie
    I was on a roll and said...I'm sure there are people out there that may not have access so why not type some of these quotes.

Plus, he did such a piss poor job of representing himself at the Hall of Fame Induction...I wanted to post real quotes from him that did a much better job.

The quotes from the other players and coaches are from a special collector's edition of ESPN: The Magazine, by the way. It's also in stores if anyone wants to buy it.
    Last edited by Da_Realist; 09-22-2009 at 10:17 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Great great value.
    You did not have to remind me of these quotes and statements , I've seen it all.
    People forget the past , and the value these players as Pippen brought to 6 championships.
    Including the statement of picking a PF and he took Worthy (sf) but in that same breath he was putting Mchale and the Mailmen as the real GOATS of the PF spot.

I hope the young guys on this forum can appreciate some of what was said and done in history from Micheal Jordan.

Bulls GM Jerry Krause walked in front of the bus to get to his car. With his hands on the steering wheel, key in the ignition, MJ turned around and looked at Scottie and said, "Pip, for $5 I'll step on the gas."

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Whoa, never heard MJ say this. Good stuff.
    I've been saying 91-93 > 96-98 since I've been on this board. Glad to see MJ agree with me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist
    "It's just God disguised as Michael Jordan." -- Larry Bird
    Calling Jordan "god" was a total psyche job on Bird's part. He got Jordan believing that he could beat the Celtics by himself. The result was a 3 game sweep for the Celtics in '86 (even with Jordan's 63 point 2OT game), and a 3 game sweep for the Celtics in '87. Bird simply goaded Jordan into trying to win the series by himself, and that played right into Boston's hands.

When Jordan scored 63 points he was asked by a sportswriter to comment on Jordan's performance and he said ' that was God disguised as Michael Jordan"

And lets put this into context Jordan Jockers - Jordan had just dropped 49 points on the Celtics a couple days earlier and the Bulls got crushed. The Celtics attitude was that one player was not going to beat this team, especially at home, where they had only lost one time all year.

So they LET Jordan have his points that game and it almost cost them dearly. Jordan missed a wide open 15 footer with 3 seconds in the first overtime, that most likely would have won the game.

After that close call, Boston put the clamps down on Jordan in game 3, holding him to 19 points (only 5 in the final 3 quarters) before he fouled out.

So yes, Bird jokingly referred to him as God in reference to one game. Like I said, he may have been buttering him up before sending him home on an early vacation.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Don Imus
    Calling Jordan "god" was a total psyche job on Bird's part. He got Jordan believing that he could beat the Celtics by himself. The result was a 3 game sweep for the Celtics in '86 (even with Jordan's 63 point 2OT game), and a 3 game sweep for the Celtics in '87. Bird simply goaded Jordan into trying to win the series by himself, and that played right into Boston's hands.

When Jordan scored 63 points he was asked by a sportswriter to comment on Jordan's performance and he said ' that was God disguised as Michael Jordan"

And lets put this into context Jordan Jockers - Jordan had just dropped 49 points on the Celtics a couple days earlier and the Bulls got crushed. The Celtics attitude was that one player was not going to beat this team, especially at home, where they had only lost one time all year.

So they LET Jordan have his points that game and it almost cost them dearly. Jordan missed a wide open 15 footer with 3 seconds in the first overtime, that most likely would have won the game.

After that close call, Boston put the clamps down on Jordan in game 3, holding him to 19 points (only 5 in the final 3 quarters) before he fouled out.

So yes, Bird jokingly referred to him as God in reference to one game. Like I said, he may have been buttering him up before sending him home on an early vacation.
    agreed.
    would've loved to see 96 bulls against 86 celtics

NBA rookie of the year

LMAO @ the notion that any team ever LET Jordan score. You can just dismiss a person out of hand when they start talking nonsense like that.