Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-19-2008, 11:32 AM   #16
Aussie Dunker
Local High School Star

Aussie Dunker is considered somewhat coolAussie Dunker is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Revisiting All-Star voting system

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenk
Yeah, I know, but I think it would be good for the game if the players take this show more serious and play real basketball, and a matchup like that would guarantee this.

C- Yao/Bogut/Ilgauskas
PF - Nowitzki/Gasol
SF - Turkoglu/Deng
SG - Ginobili/Fernandez
PG - Nash/Parker/Calderon

...is not that bad.

Damn, how annoying would that team be to play against....
Aussie Dunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:34 AM   #17
Real Men Wear Green
BathFrog of Doom

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Yeah, I know, but I think it would be good for the game if the players take this show more serious and play real basketball, and a matchup like that would guarantee this.

C- Yao/Bogut/Ilgauskas
PF - Nowitzki/Gasol
SF - Turkoglu/Deng
SG - Ginobili/Fernandez
PG - Nash/Parker/Calderon

...is not that bad.
If the Americans take it seriously it will be terrible, because it will mean that guys like Dwight Howard and Kevin Garnett are focused on defending, while this foreign team has two good defensive pieces (Yao and Deng) and only one of them is starting. They'd be destroyed.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:34 AM   #18
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper
someday soon the international vote will put a player in the All-Star Game who has absolutely, positively no business being there

Already happened. Grant Hill / VC / Penny when they were injured.

Wow, all of them were touted the next Jordan...

HOWEVER, I do recall a certain non-starter who averaged only 15 ppg at 43% shooting getting the all star start over stars like Jason Kidd, Mitch Richmond and Eddie Jones. Nobody complained then.... except one teammate
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:25 PM   #19
dhenk
Why do you care?

dhenk has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
If the Americans take it seriously it will be terrible, because it will mean that guys like Dwight Howard and Kevin Garnett are focused on defending, while this foreign team has two good defensive pieces (Yao and Deng) and only one of them is starting. They'd be destroyed.

That team also has 3 of the last 4 MVPīs under itīs belt. I wouldnīt bet on them, either, but if Nash or Dirk get hot, anything could happen.
dhenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:55 PM   #20
Real Men Wear Green
BathFrog of Doom

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
That team also has 3 of the last 4 MVPīs under itīs belt. I wouldnīt bet on them, either, but if Nash or Dirk get hot, anything could happen.
Nash is a good pg that had great stats in a system that maximized him. Chris Paul is better, especially in the present. Dirk Nowitzki's MVP award won't matter when Dwight Howard is throwing down on top of his head. In the NBA right now Nowitzki is a top 10 guy, Nash is a top 3-5 point, neither plays d, and the International team would get killed.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:27 PM   #21
dhenk
Why do you care?

dhenk has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Nash is a good pg that had great stats in a system that maximized him. Chris Paul is better, especially in the present. Dirk Nowitzki's MVP award won't matter when Dwight Howard is throwing down on top of his head. In the NBA right now Nowitzki is a top 10 guy, Nash is a top 3-5 point, neither plays d, and the International team would get killed.

As I said, I also think that the american team would be the favorite, but I think itīs closer than you want to admit. The best players of the spanish and argentinian teams plus Nash and Nowitzki? Thatīs a lot of trouble for the american defenders, many mismatches because of skilled big men and highly efficent guard play. Seriously, give Dirk a player like Ginobili and they would have won the nba finals three years ago.
dhenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:09 PM   #22
Real Men Wear Green
BathFrog of Doom

This isn't about what I "want to admit," this is how I see the teams shaping up. The Americans would have an overwhelming advantage in athleticism and rebounding while being just as skilled. Nowitzki's ability to hit jumpers makes him a match-up issue on paper but every year someone finds a way to limit the damage he inflicts to manageable levels and this would be no different.
Dirk had Nash, Finley, and Nick Van Exel so I'm not inclined to believe that it was Manu he's been missing all along. Plus, the team the Americans would assemble would be far more talented than anything Nowitzki has faced in the playoffs while the starting 5 for the international team is barely better than what the Cs have in Boston (the Cs defend far better). If Stephen Jackson and Bruce Bowen can guard him effectively I'm sure that one of the team USA players would be up to it. But what does the World team do about James, Wade, and STAT?
Old 12-20-2008, 06:04 PM   #23
bstickq1
I brick open layups

bstickq1 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
This thread is straight-up racist. It's based on the belief that Chinese fans aren't as worthy as American fans, who have been voting in undeserving players for my whole lifetime.

Every year one or two non-deserving players are voted in by the fans, and I think that's just fine. Yi probably won't make the game, but if he does, he'll just be one of the two or so non-deserving players (along with Iverson) making the game. He's obviously a hugely popular player, just as Vince Carter was during some of his non-deserving years, just as Kobe Bryant was during his rookie year, just as Penny Hardaway was the year that he was injured the full season up to the all-star game.

No, it is racist to vote someone in just because they are Chinese.
bstickq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:05 PM   #24
JJ81
Good college starter

JJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this board

Yi wont make the all-star game.
JJ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #25
Rekindled
Pringles Reborn

Rekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryRekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryRekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstickq1
No, it is racist to vote someone in just because they are Chinese.

what about people who vote people in just because they are from their team
Rekindled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:03 PM   #26
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm sure the voting would be manipulated to ensure Yi didn't make it. If George Bush won Ohio in 2004 , then they can find a way to ensure Yi doesn't make top two.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: