Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by StarJordan
    He wasn't slow but he was a different player than he was when he made his name.
    Who was saying different? Jordan, with fresh legs, prime or not, could get crossed by A.I. on ANY given play. Iverson is just that good with the ball, and with his moves. Jumping ability, age, plays no part in getting shook with a crossover. I know plenty of older guys who hang better with people who move like that, cause they are less likely to bite on fakes. The part that made it so sick was, MJ bit on the set up criss cross, so that was emberassing enough, then MJ gets absolutely busted on the second one. It was a great play. Probably the most famous crossover in the modern era.

Decent college freshman Vragrant's Avatar

That crossover is so overrated. Fact is that Jordan played great defense on that play.

That original clip does not show Jordan quickly recovering to not only challenge the shot, but come within fractions of a second to block it.

I admit I'm biased, but hey I just don't see what was so great about the crossover. People act like Jordan fell or something. I find it pretty fascinatin actually at the reflexes of that version of Jordan. Look how quickly Jordan reacted to his first move(although the slow motion doesn't do it justice), If Iverson didn't cross over Jordan would have cut off his drive.

I will say this though. As great as Iverson is, give Jordan a playoff series and I think Mike will make things REALLY difficult for Iverson. Iverson has no stamina advantage over a young Jordan either, so I could see Mike hounding Iverson into horrific shooting games once he adjusts to Iverson.
    Last edited by Vragrant; 09-30-2006 at 03:25 AM.

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vragrant
    That crossover is so overrated. Fact is that Jordan played great defense on that play.

That original clip does not show Jordan quickly recovering to not only challenge the shot, but come within fractions of a second to block it.

I admit I'm biased, but hey I just don't see what was so great about the crossover. People act like Jordan fell or something. I find it pretty fascinatin actually at the reflexes of that version of Jordan. Look how quickly Jordan reacted to his first move(although the slow motion doesn't do it justice), If Iverson didn't cross over Jordan would have cut off his drive.

I will say this though. As great as Iverson is, give Jordan a playoff series and I think Mike will make things REALLY difficult for Iverson. Iverson has no stamina advantage over a young Jordan either, so I could see Mike hounding Iverson into horrific shooting games once he adjusts to Iverson.
    Are you kidding? AI literally made him dance. Jordan fans will do anything to protect his image. If AI literally broke MJ's ankles, MJ fans would say,"That was nothing special, Jordan wanted to have a one year rest." If he pulled that move on Kobe, it would be the play of the century to the same people. Jordan fans have surpassed Kobe fans in being delusional.

It was a fantastic crossover... and if you look at the whole play, Iverson crossed him twice... The only reason Jordan had a chance at blocking the shot is that Iverson halted his drive and shot it, but if Iverson had driven it in, Jordan would have been behind him. To Jordan's credit, he reacted pretty quickly, but then again, it only resulted in having the shot hit on him. He got crossed and then had the shot hit on him; you have to give props to Iverson. I don't see why people are trying to dismiss it or call it overrated. How many players managed to cross Jordan like that, leaving him completely lost for a split second?

i agree, jordan did almost block it. people act like jordan fell over, iverson did a little dance, and then flinged up some sexy hook shot for a swish...although i do believe that ai could probably cross up jordan / anyone anytime he felt like it

LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

It was actually a carry. MJ's D could stop almost everyone if the refs weren't blind, and actually called illiegal plays.

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker
    It was actually a carry. MJ's D could stop almost everyone if the refs weren't blind, and actually called illiegal plays.

Decent college freshman Vragrant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    It was a fantastic crossover... and if you look at the whole play, Iverson crossed him twice... The only reason Jordan had a chance at blocking the shot is that Iverson halted his drive and shot it, but if Iverson had driven it in, Jordan would have been behind him. To Jordan's credit, he reacted pretty quickly, but then again, it only resulted in having the shot hit on him. He got crossed and then had the shot hit on him; you have to give props to Iverson. I don't see why people are trying to dismiss it or call it overrated. How many players managed to cross Jordan like that, leaving him completely lost for a split second?
    I'm not saying it wasn't a great crossover because it was. I just don't think its as bad as most fans think.

Bad is something like Wade crossing over Eric Snow, and Snow falling to the ground several feet awa6 from him. Iverson got him, however Jordan kept his balance recovered quickly and got a hand in a face.

If Jordan stumbled, fell or something THAT would be embarrassing I would admit.

MJ got his ankles broken twice and a jumper in his FACE. That was one for the ages. It rates highly because of who it was done too. The almighty one Jordan. He got rocked to sleep. Not many in the world or in the history of basketball can say "I broke MJ's ankles and shot a jumper in his MUG after he tried to recover whatever pride, dignity he had to block my shot". If that play didnt happen and someone typed that....we would say that person was on drugs. But it did happen. There is no moral victory for MJ. Whenener MJ embarrasses someone with a dunk, game winner, block, steal its all glorified and entrenched in apart of his legacy.

AI served MJ and he would serve him no matter WHAT age. MJ could feel his very best and AI would snap them ankles. You cant stop that crossover. AI knew how to pull it off and with his quickness blow by you and/or pop the jumper. He's perfected it. Tim Hardaway killa crossover would have done the same to MJ, prime MJ, Jesus Christ MJ you name it.

I til this day cringe when i saw Pippen trying to guard Kobe Bryant and Kobe had his way with him. Crossovers, blowing by, jumper he eve did the MJ move where his back was to the basket, flinched one way then back then back & popped the jumper in Pippen's grill. You know the move. It was like wow he is totally shredding and embarrassing my fav player/defender of all time.

MJ got embarrassed. I loved it.

I'm not saying it wasn't a great crossover because it was. I just don't think its as bad as most fans think.

Bad is something like Wade crossing over Eric Snow, and Snow falling to the ground several feet awa6 from him. Iverson got him, however Jordan kept his balance recovered quickly and got a hand in a face.

If Jordan stumbled, fell or something THAT would be embarrassing I would admit.

Hmmm *looks at avatar* I wonder WHY you dont think it was bad. Get a clue kid. MJ took it upon himself to defend AI. AI rocked him once and MJ body took the bait. Go to youtube and get a much better angle if you want. MJ RESET in his defensive position and AI shook the shiiit out of him as MJ went the wrong way AGAIN, tried to recover and block AI shot and failed. SWISH.

But yeah its not as bad as people make it out to be. You must be one of the FEW who feel such a ridiculous way.

Irrational Jordan superfan StarJordan's Avatar

Hmmm *looks at avatar* I wonder WHY you dont think it was bad. Get a clue kid. MJ took it upon himself to defend AI. AI rocked him once and MJ body took the bait. Go to youtube and get a much better angle if you want. MJ RESET in his defensive position and AI shook the shiiit out of him as MJ went the wrong way AGAIN, tried to recover and block AI shot and failed. SWISH.
    Uh huh, watch the video. When Iverson releases the ball, MJ is already in the air no more than a couple inches away from BLOCKING it even AFTER the crossover.

Who cares, MJ got shook up. Does anyone ever mention about Jordan pushing off Byron Russel for the game winner?

Not airballing my layups anymore pgm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker
    I don't think a Jordan fan should be talking about another player getting preferential treatment from the refs (unless he's trying to be ironic).

That crossover is a little overrated in the sense that it's not close to being Iverson's best crossover. But there's no question that Iverson would have been able to cross a Prime Jordan. It's not like the Jordan he crossed sucked. He did make the All NBA First Defensive Team.

Irrational Jordan superfan StarJordan's Avatar

Who cares, MJ got shook up.
    Iverson got loose for a fraction of a second. He couldn't make Jordan fall or lose trail. Watch some highlights of kings game where Mike holds the ball in one hand like he's about to shoot it and fakes the lights out of the guy who falls on his ass. THAT's getting shook up!

Local High School Star The Answer's Avatar

Even Michael Jordan makes mistakes. That doesn't mean he isnt the GOAT.