Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Why is Roy Hibbert so bad at finishing at the rim?

Quote Originally Posted by comerb
    Remember how awkward he was when he first entered the league, like he was going to trip over his own feet running down the court? Well, he's still naturally awkward. Repetition and practice has made his post sets more fluid, but when you get that dump off pass and your body just has to react and adjust on the fly, he suffers.
    thats a good point

iirc he was a really late bloomer, and was really a project when he entered college, i think he even said that he couldnt do a single pushup.

Good High School Starter

Because he's, wait for it...

Not very good. One good playoff series against a terrible frontcourt and all the sudden he's the best center in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyIt'sMe
    Because he's, wait for it..

Not very good. One good playoff series against a terrible frontcourt and all the sudden he's the best center in the league.
    Roy played well in that knicks series too.

If anyhing, that playoffs run might gave him motivation on how close he was in tbe finals. Tbat could add more fuel to his fire

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

like most modern 7 foot centers

bigger than everybody else...game never really develops because there is no necessity

if they had to "try dragging walton and lanier up the court for 45 minutes*"...they would be forced to develop skillsets

*name the film the line comes from

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS

bigger than everybody else...game never really develops because there is no necessity

if they had to "try dragging walton and lanier up the court for 45 minutes*"...they would be forced to develop skillsets

airplane

i never really got the joke though

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

if you don't think Hibbert's game has developed you haven't paid a bit of attention.

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    airplane

i never really got the joke though
    kaj was acting like he was somebody else(just a random pilot)

kid thought he has kaj and then said...well my dad says that kaj is slow and lazy and doesn't get back on defense

kaj blew his cover and said "tell your dad to try covering lanier and walton"

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    if you don't think Hibbert's game has developed you haven't paid a bit of attention.

he must have been a completely raw player before, because he has poor footwork, and undeveloped skills
    VISIBLY

especially for a big man who has been in the league as long as him

he won't develop playing against 6'9" "centers" game after game either

kaj was acting like he was somebody else(just a random pilot)

kid thought he has kaj and then said...well my dad says that kaj is slow and lazy and doesn't get back on defense

kaj blew his cover and said "tell your dad to try covering lanier and walton"
    yeah, i just didnt understand what he ment by 'dragging' them up and down the court

NBA sixth man of the year

he must have been a completely raw player before, because he has poor footwork, and undeveloped skills
    VISIBLY

especially for a big man who has been in the league as long as him

he won't develop playing against 6'9" "centers" game after game either
    He was but now...he can shoot jumpshots, shoot hooks with either hand at a good clip, defend the rim better than anyone in the league and he is a good passer for a center. He's also developed into a leader. He just sucks at finishing. He actually shoots jump hooks at a higher percentage than his inside shots. His footwork is bad but he's a lanky 7'2 center so I don't expect his footwork to be great. He has shown the ability to put the ball on the floor and take it to the basket also. Of course he has improved but like he said, people don't watch the Pacers much during the season anyway. Then when they see them in the playoffs, the want to act like experts. Not saying you are, just speaking in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Dro
    He was but now...he can shoot jumpshots, shoot hooks with either hand at a good clip, defend the rim better than anyone in the league and he is a good passer for a center. He's also developed into a leader. He just sucks at finishing. He actually shoots jump hooks at a higher percentage than his inside shots. His footwork is bad but he's a lanky 7'2 center so I don't expect his footwork to be great. He has shown the ability to put the ball on the floor and take it to the basket also. Of course he has improved but like he said, people don't watch the Pacers much during the season anyway. Then when they see them in the playoffs, the want to act like experts. Not saying you are, just speaking in general.
    appreciate the response

but in modern nba why is a 7'2" man ever taking jump shots?

Ewing did it..and it helped draw out his (fellow 7 foot )defender...

I hope by jump shot you mean 10 feet and in..and not further out

unless it's meant to give space and room to their other post player,West

I've seen enough of Hibbert to know that he doesn't quite understand how to put pressure on defense and fully use his size advantage...

gonna pencil in a game where he faces the other legit centers in the league and watch him then..

NBA sixth man of the year

appreciate the response

but in modern nba why is a 7'2" man ever taking jump shots?

Ewing did it..and it helped draw out his (fellow 7 foot )defender...

I hope by jump shot you mean 10 feet and in..and not further out

unless it's meant to give space and room to their other post player,West

I've seen enough of Hibbert to know that he doesn't quite understand how to put pressure on defense and fully use his size advantage...

gonna pencil in a game where he faces the other legit centers in the league and watch him then..
    This is true. He doesn't really know how to use his size but I think the problem is his lower strength just isn't as strong as it looks like it should be. He gets pushed off the block often and thats why he ends up taking a lot of hook shots. He's almost suprised when he catches it so close to the hoop that he rushes his inside shots. He doesn't shoot a ton of jumpers but he makes a good amount of them when he takes them. No further than 15 feet out, around the free throw line, he can make those. He has a good touch and he's a good free throw shooter for an otherwise awkward player. But he only ends up taking them if David West is on the block and he draws a double team and might hit Hibbert at the high post. It helps that he can make it so that people so that his man which is a center can't come over and help on West.

Ironically, he tends to play well against other centers that are his size and other than the Miami series, he doesn't really play that well against undersized centers imo and its because they get up under him and push him off the block because of his lack of lower body strength. He does look much bigger this year so we'll see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dro
    They are a bit boring.

I know the Pacers are going to have more games televised so more teams will be watching and do more to pick apart their weaknesses