Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: How serious is an achilles tear?

Read up on it........Kobe's injury is way worse than the reports are saying. It's much worse than the injuries of guys it's being compared to.
    It's three different injuries, but they are saying it's the same thing.

Basically there is,

partial tear = Dominque Wilkins = recovery to near previous level is possible

"complete tear" = Chauncy Billups = can come back after long rehab, but at a greatly diminished level

severed tendon = Kobe = almost always the end of an athlete's career

I had a completely severed Achilles and it took 8 months to be able to walk and function normally

Quote Originally Posted by daily
    worst case scenario, 6-8 months. 2-3 if it's minor.

He walked of which is a good sign. if it's completely torn up you can't even stand on it and walking's impossible because your foots flopping around all funky
    Again, FALSE. If you can walk on it after it means the injury is FAR WORSE. It means you severed it and the foot is dead and goes numb and you can't feel any pain in it. Thus you can walk on it.

If you can't walk on it because of the pain, it means the tendon isn't dead and you still have feeling and so you can't walk on it because it hurts so much.

Being able to walk after it happens is the absolute worst possible scenario, because it means the injury is way more severe.

Quote Originally Posted by NBASTATMAN
    I think Dominique tore his achilles and came back the next year and had probably the best year he ever had as a pro. I know he played years after that injury..

Kobe is toughest SOB in the league he will be back...
    Again, two different injuries. Kobe's injury is much worse.