Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: Kobe's actually right on pace with jordan in shot attempts for points

Quote Originally Posted by INDI
    I've been saying for a long time that the difference between 50% fg and 45% fg is just 1 extra missed shot (10/20 vs 9/20). Add to the fact that Kobe took tons of shot with 3 seconds or less on the clock, and you'll recognize that his fg percent was really not that bad.

I'm willing to bet that out of every player in nba history that has attempted a shot with 3 seconds or less on the clock, Kobe is the alltime leader.

Anyone know where I can look this up at?
    Can't say it like that... It's really 2 shots.

One more make AND one less miss...

Default Re: Kobe's actually right on pace with jordan in shot attempts for points

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    There's also the effect of the rule change in 04-05.

Kobe's TS% in the playoff before the rule change hasn't been that good despite having Shaq as a teammate.

Yet, after the rule change, suddenly he's having TS% career highs in the playoff for 5 straight seasons.
    he couldn't have just became a better player?

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by INDI
    I'm willing to bet that out of every player in nba history that has attempted a shot with 3 seconds or less on the clock, Kobe is the alltime leader.

Anyone know where I can look this up at?
    My ass. Jordan took more end of clock shots than anyone in history by a large margin.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    Can't say it like that... It's really 2 shots.

One more make AND one less miss...
    And 200 additional games.

The discrepancy would have been much larger if MJ hadn't missed three high-percentage seasons in the middle of his career. Kobe might have needed 400 more games. MJ at his best was shooting 54%.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist

The discrepancy would have been much larger if MJ hadn't missed three high-percentage seasons in the middle of his career. Kobe might have needed 400 more games. MJ at his best was shooting 54%.

Could you imagine if MJ didn't miss those seasons? He'd have been real close to Kareem's all-time scoring record.

Or you can look at their G2G shooting percentages.

Regular season
    Games with under 50% shooting
    Michael Jordan: 489
    Kobe Bryant: 623

Regular season
    Games with under 40% shooting
    Michael Jordan: 158
    Kobe Bryant: 317

Regular season
    Games with under 35% shooting
    Michael Jordan: 88
    Kobe Bryant: 192

Regular season
    Games with under 30% shooting
    Michael Jordan: 41
    Kobe Bryant: 97

I believe these were last updated the year before Kobe tore his achilles. Pretty telling stuff.

And also, it's a horribly flawed way of breaking down scoring efficiency.. lol at "13 games"

Regular season
    2013: Kobe takes 241 more shots, Kobe scored 97 more points
    2012: Kobe takes 167 more shots, LeBron scored 67 more points
    2011: Kobe took 154 more shots, LeBron scored 33 more points
    2010: Kobe took 41 more shots, LeBron scored 288 more points
    2009: Kobe took 99 more shots, LeBron scored 103 more points

Check out 2009 and 2010, MJ shot higher than LeBron did those years, AND on larger volume/points... The difference between Kobe and MJ would be even bigger.

Post from 2013: (When LeBron started his 30ppg/60+% streak)

Here are some Facts about the Top 5 Scorers in the League right now:

If Kevin Durant goes 75/75 from the field on his next 75 shots, LeBron would still have a higher FG%.

If Carmelo Anthony goes 200/200 from the field on his next 200 shots, LeBron would still have a higher FG%.

If Kobe Bryant goes 100/100 from the field on his next 100 shots, LeBron would still have a higher FG%

If James Harden goes 100/100 from the Field on his next 100 shots, LeBron would still have a higher FG%

+
    LeBron increased his FG% in the paint to 78% last night.

The last player to have a 78% FG% in the paint? Shaquille O'Neal in 2000-2001 season. Take in consider that we are comparing a Center to a Small Forward. No Small Forward has ever posted close to 78% in the paint.

- LeBron can only drive?

FG% of outside of the Paint of the Top 5 Scorers in the League:

LeBron James - 42%
    Carmelo Anthony - 42%
    Kobe Bryant - 40%
    Kevin Durant - 45%
    James Harden - 35%

----

The difference is HUGE.
    Last edited by ArbitraryWater; 09-24-2014 at 11:01 AM.