Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Is there something weaker than Battier covering Kobe's eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by Force
    Defenders raise their hands...why? To distract the shot, to block the shot, to get a hand in the face.... Thats why they jump on defense too..to get closer to the path

What Battier does is the most simple defense... Your post is what is weak.

Should all defenders no longer use raise their hands above their shoulders? You know this happens hundreds of times per game, even to defense passes...

Battier knows he isn't going to block a jumpshot, how often do people actually do that? The best play is to distract the vision

don't you regret starting this thread? this is a monumentally bad thread
    you just destroyed the OP. repped

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    you just destroyed the OP. repped
    really...its not like it isnt a point of controversey compared to EVERT other league in the world. people are acting like this is common practice growing up and from someone who grew up in bball its NOT. This is the only major league in the world that allows it.

Learning to shoot layups Orodoro's Avatar

There is a reason why Shane Battier is one of the best defenders in the league. This is one of them, basic defense, and it's not Battier's fault Kobe scored 40. It's not like Battier will lock down Kobe, he knows that, but Kobe had a good night.

This happened last year as well. One poster started calling Battier cheap for playing defense ...

Quote Originally Posted by Orodoro
    There is a reason why Shane Battier is one of the best defenders in the league. This is one of them, basic defense, and it's not Battier's fault Kobe scored 40. It's not like Battier will lock down Kobe, he knows that, but Kobe had a good night.
    agreed. if anything, it helps to prove what a great kobe player is when he is on. nobody can stop kobe, battier knows that. he can only do his best to contain him, and the best thing battier get a hand in his face. battier isnt an athletic freak, hes not gonna block every shot. battier is playing smart.

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tastystaci
    I vote this as the all-time failed thread. Shane Battier getting called out for blocking a guys vision while he tries to shoot How the f*ck else would the OP suggest defending Kobe? And have you ever tried to shoot with your eyes closed. That's essentially what Kobe is doing.

You sir...FAIL
    +1

I honestly do not think putting the hand in the faces of great players does much. Before you release your shot, you know where you are shooting. Once he rises up, his shot is almost mechanical and I do not think the hand in the face really does much. If you wanted to do the whole hand in the face thing you should do it before he rises up for the shot. I see it as pretty much you cant do anything else and you are not blocking the shot, so why not put the hand in the face

National High School Star mattevans11's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Younggrease
    yeah its illegal...not everyone is as skilled as Battier. He juts his hand very fast at Kobe's eyes while sometimes off balance which is a very dangerous play, especially for those less coordinated then Kobe. Imagine guys like Kwame Brown trying this

thanks man...repped for finding that one

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

look, sometimes Kobe goes OFF.
    sometimes he bricks bigtime (game 3 Utah).

I guarantee you both will happen again this series.

all Battier can do is exactly what he is doing....which AIN'T EASY!

Quote Originally Posted by tastystaci
    I vote this as the all-time failed thread. Shane Battier getting called out for blocking a guys vision while he tries to shoot How the f*ck else would the OP suggest defending Kobe? And have you ever tried to shoot with your eyes closed. That's essentially what Kobe is doing.

You sir...FAIL
    Not really man. He knows where he is and he knows once he rises up where the rim is and how much strength to put on the shot. Its not at all close to having your eyes closed actually. He knows where he is on the floor, he knows the distance from the rim, he has his target. Battier putting the hand in the face hinders the vision for a bit but its not going to affect the shot too much bc of all the things I said already

Certified ISHiot.

I got rid of this thread, but someone else brought it back. Sorry guys, I have done all that I can do.

Learning to shoot layups Orodoro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo

Good point. Everyone has bad games, and in this case Game 3 of the Utah series was an example of Kobe shooting bad. However, he has so many weapons to score, and shooting is probably his best way. Battier does his best, which is way more than what can be asked for; he is an excellent defender, and i'm sure many people would agree. No defender will lock down Kobe, atleast Battier knows that, and it isn't easy to defend one of the best scorers in the league; especially guarding him for a span of 7 games. Battier will have his work cut out for him this series; but either way, he will be known as a good defender, atleast in my eyes.

Put yr guns up

Quote Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo

Exactly, a great individual defender is not going to succeed every time, people are highly overreacting here. Battier's going to play the same great D every game, but Kobe's a ridiculously good scorer and some nights it just won't affect him. To shut down a great scorer over the course of a series, you need a great team defensive scheme like Boston last season, not just one or two guys.

Local High School Star tastystaci's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
    Not really man. He knows where he is and he knows once he rises up where the rim is and how much strength to put on the shot. Its not at all close to having your eyes closed actually. He knows where he is on the floor, he knows the distance from the rim, he has his target. Battier putting the hand in the face hinders the vision for a bit but its not going to affect the shot too much bc of all the things I said already
    Shooting the ball is about focus and concentration. Putting your hand in front of somebody's face is essentially like closing your eyes at that moment. When MJ closes his eyes shooting free-throws he knows where he is, but people still slurp his balls for it, because it is a little more difficult to shoot with your eyes closed than open.

National High School Star Mrofir's Avatar

I just can't beat my high score in Geometry Wars.